AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like PBS in Seattle (KCTS) has moved HD from 9-2 to 9-5. 9-1 is still the digital simulcast of analog KCTS. The Strange thing is that 9-2 channel info shows "KCTS kids". There is also now a 9-3 called "KCTS Learn". Any idea what these last two are?

Tom

·
Registered
807 Posts
You mean besides more sub-channels taking bandwidth away from HD? :rolleyes:

I've seen in the news lately that charges of mismanagement have been flying with regards to their former director, although I doubt it would be impacting their programming yet.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I must have looked too late. All I see now is 41-1/9-1 as normal (SD) and 41-5/9-2 is HD (why 41-5 instead of 41-2?).

My Hughes E86 still sees HD on 9-2, while my RCA DTC-100 sees HD on 41-5 and SD on 41-1 (not 9-1). Time to reset channel guides on the DTC-100 again since the PSIP data for KCTS has changed. I think I'll wait until we see if more changes are on the way.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the record, the above changes are showing on my DTC-100. I'm not smart enough to know what impact the receiver has on channel #s.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Amazing! AMAZING!!

Ever since I started OTA HD a month or so ago was I NEVER able to get channel 9 at either 41-1 or -2. I even purchased a 7775 preamp to see if that would boost the signal to get the channel as well as upping the strength on the other channels. All the 7775 got me was less channels.

I just tried 41-5 and am now able to see channel 9. I am really happy with this. I know, I know, I must not get out much but with the limited amount of current HD content another channel is like a miracle.

So, anyone need a 7775? Bought it from Warren's and will sell it for what I paid for it. Even deliver it free of charge in the Seattle area and as an additional bonus would be happy to make some RG6 cables for you so you can connect it up.

Love this forum.

Colin

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Today I see 41-1 (SD) and 41-5 (HD). First time I've seen KCTS-DT on mid-day in a long time.

I still have not seen the other sub channels.

Colin, what kind of HD receiver are you using?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
So you can receive 41-5 but not 41-1? They are both carried in the same RF signal and data stream, so I don't understand why you would not get both.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Early in KCTS's digital broadcasting days they had 9-1 (mirror of analog), 9-2 (HDTV), and 9-3 (KCTS Learns). The web site awhile back said they were taking KCTS Learns temporarily off the air. It sounds like these subchannels will return on May 1st. I may be wrong but I recall that the KCTS Learns sub-channel was on the air (for kids during the daytime) and the HD broadcasting was on at night when the Learns channel was not.

www.kcts.org

·
Registered
14 Posts
Teniko - YGM!

Dave,

In the beginning I couldnt get anything on 41. Always showed no signal. I tried both having the receiver scan for all channels and also manually activating 41 on the receiver and again had no success.

Instead of performing the automatic scan I went in manually and activated 41. It was at this point I could then see 41-1, 41-2 (although there is no picture) and 41-5. The receiver then properly translated to 9-1, 9-2 and 9-5.

I am at a loss for why it all of a sudden started working and the signal strength was great, but just happy that I am now able to get the channels.

Thanks

Colin

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Colin:

Congrats!

Regardless of how or why, success is what we want and success is what you've got. Now it is time to sit back and enjoy your HDTV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guess I spoke to soon...

I am back to totally dead on 41-1 and 41-5. No signal at all. The signal meter doesn't even move. When I had the channels the other day the signal was well above the good mark.

The only thing that has changed as far as I can tell is the weather. It is sunny and virtually cloudless with little to no wind. When I had the channels it was cloudy and even drizzley at times but I find it hard to believe that the weather would have this much effect on the signal for this particular channel.

Only thing I could guess is the receiver has a problem with that channel. Anyone have any other suggestions? Other channels are in the approximate same direction as 41 work great.

Truly baffling....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I assume you are aware that KCTS-DT is sporadic in their broadcasting schedule. In the last few months, they were not broadcasting until about 7 pm each day. Then in the last week or so, they appeared during the day again, but that is abnormal for them.

Check again this evening between 7 - 10 pm and see what you get then.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I just looked and I get no signal right now from KCTS-DT. The DirecTV APG guide shows 9-2 with a program starting at 8 pm, but those schedules are often wrong or incomplete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the info and you are correct. I checked last night around 9 pm and the channels were up. Pretty damn confusing, and I guess I feel like an idiot.

Thanks again for the info it is appreciated.

Colin

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Check their web site at KCTS.org. They have (or at least used to have--I have not looked lately) a spot on their digital transmissions (HD and SD), and, you can subscribe to their email program notes if you want.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
As of 9:30 PM Sat. I am showing signal on 9-1, 9-2, 9-3, 9-5 from my SIR-T150. Picture only on 9-1 and 9-5. 9-2 and 9-3 show the same signal strength on the meter but no sound or picture. Has anyone seen a picture on 9-2 or 9-3 since they shuffled the channels?

On another note, what the h*** is wrong with KOMO's sound?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
As of 10:30 pm, no problem here with KOMO-DT sound. I am getting normal ABC Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from KOMO-DT.

I see 9-1 on 41-1, 9-2 on 41-2 and 9-2 on 41-5 on my Hughes E86 HD receiver.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The KCTS web site indicated that there will be some major launch of a "comprehensive digital service" in May.

Here is the quote taken from the site:

"Preparation for Digital Service-

Beginning December 1 and continuing through May 2003, our digital channels will be available every day from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. as we prepare to launch our comprehensive digital service in May 2003."

http://www.kcts.org/digital/schedule/index.asp

This probably explains why there is not a signal at all times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.