AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just checking stations a few minutes ago, and there they were!

Digital ch. 36.

Looking forward to Enterprise (even reruns)!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And it's DOWN! Looks like they were just doing some testing before they go live for real.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's a good sign though. TitanTV shows them going live on July 1.

If true, that would complete the set. Every major network in the Seattle-Tacoma area would finally be broadcasting in DTV. We hope most will broadcast in HDTV.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I notice that KTWB is vertically squeezing the picture into a 14x9 frame, at least on 13.2. I hate picture distortion, particularly when it's done deliberately.

·
Registered
771 Posts
How far are you from Tacoma? According to KSTW, their July signal is only going to be powerful enough to cover Tacoma, with November being the date when they cover the rest of the area. It'd be nice to find out they just exaggerated to the FCC about that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I'm in NorthEast Tacoma - Brown's point area. I've got a Radioshack doublebowtie antenna in the attic, pointing NNW towards Seattle. I get all of the current stations without adjusting the antenna.

When KSTW was up, I had good signal strength near equal to the other stations, so I assumed that that is where the signal was coming from. I don't know how directional the RS antenna is, so I suppose I could have been getting the signal from the backside. Either way, it looks like I'm good, when they go live.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
where exactly is their HD tower?

·
Registered
56 Posts
KSTW is a licensed television station to Tacoma. We have been broadcasting on ch. 11 from downtown seattle since 1980.

We will soon be broadcasting an HDTV signal on ch. 36 from seattle with a directional antenna aimed at Tacoma. This will be a low power antenna that must cover the city of license per FCC rules.

We are going to put up a new full power combination ch.11 & ch.36 antenna in seattle next year which will be omni directional throughout puget sound area.

we are not on with digital right now due to our DTV antenna went feet up after testing. new antenna is on site and we expect to be on 24/7 within two weeks.

Pass this on to any interested parties of KSTW DT-36. I welcome feedback on reception

Ron Diotte

CE, KSTW

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ron,

Thanks for chiming in with info - much appreciated.

Sadly, I am in Shoreline, so I guess I'll have to wait until next year. Keep us posted!

Jim

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ron:

Welcome to this forum. I am looking forward to receiving your digital signal. Hopefully my location just east of Renton will be just inside your directional slice. Time will tell.

IIRC, in a prior email exchange with you, you indicated that your signal would be 1080i. Have you decided how you will deliver 4:3 (non-HD) programs? Will they be a 4:3 picture within the 16:9 window (preferred for its non-distorted H/V) or will you be horizontally stretching the 4:3 image to fully or partially fill the 16:9 window?

My vote is for unmodified 4:3 within the 16:9 window, leaving the viewers the flexibility to modify if they choose.

Thanks for your earlier replies to my emails and the current status you have posted here. I believe you will find many supporters on this forum that would be more than willing to help you in any way we can, such as reporting on successful reception of your interim low power, directional signal.

Good luck with your testing and deployment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I, too, vote is for unmodified 4:3 within the 16:9 window. I really don't like that stretching and cropping business, and I wish the other stations would stop it as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with those of you who say programming originating in 4:3 should stay in 4:3, unfortunately we are owned and run by CBS which insists that all programming will be upconverted to 1080i at 16x9 rate. When we were on for a while, my techs' changed it to 14x9 like WB is doing, cause 16x9 looks too stretched on 4:3 stuff....I'll do it for a while..but this fall I'll have to go 16x9.

As far as UPN network sending us native 1080i on some of their shows, right now it's all talk...we think the HD satellite capacity is limited right now since CBS sends alot of their prime time programming in HD. CBS is committed to 1080i true HDTV produced shows...so we are certain they will move UPN to true HD as soon as they can.

We may be back on the air as soon as this Wednesday, July 17th so stay tuned!!

Ron Diotte

CE, KSTW

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I too would vote for 4:3. However, if you absolutely must stretch it, how will you do it? Will it be a linear or a non-linear stretch?

-Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ron - thank you very much for your posts!

Not to change the topic too much, but can you comment on what we can expect to see on the presentation of "Enterprise"? I'd love to see this in full HD 1080i 16x9!

·
Registered
56 Posts
When the network can distribute in native HD, Enterprise will be in 1080i 16x9 format.

Was hoping for it on this new season in September, but don't hold your breath.

RD

KSTW

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ron,

I'm not a broadcast engineer... but could a 4x3 NTSC signal be converted to 1080i 16x9 with pillarboxing and meet the 'letter of the law' as far as CBS is concerned?

I find that I simply skip over HDTV channels with a distorted aspect ratio.

Jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like KSTW is up tonight (Tuesday)! Congrats, Ron, for beating your estimate of Wednesday!

I have good signal, and good picture, although it looks like a 14x9 stretch and chop of 4x3 source.

As far as CBS insisting on 16x9, David Letterman gets by at 4x3 on KIRO, so why not try JasG's suggestion?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I see digital channel 36.1 (mapped to 11.1) this morning with a signal just as strong as the other Seattle transmitters (reading 76 on my DTC-100 STB). I live east-southeast of Renton, near the north/south street 132nd Ave. SE., so I am apparently (and fortunately) within the footprint of the interim directional signal focused on the Tacoma area.

Ron,

I am confused by the CBS policy. As far as I know, KIRO does not currently convert any program material from its original aspect ratio (OAR). For local and CBS NTSC programs we see a 4x3 image within a 16x9 1080i signal (with black sidebars on the left and right of the picture). For CBS ATSC HD programs we see a full 16x9 image filling the same 16x9 1080i signal. Recently, KIRO did stretch their 4x3 programs for a short time, but they have since stopped. (This paragraph has been edited to compensate for my poor memory, since I had forgotten about KIRO's brief stretch period.)

What I saw this morning on KSTW-DT channel 36 was a 14x9 image (altered from an original 4x3 image) within the 16x9 1080i signal (with narrow left/right black sidebars).

Once more, I would prefer an unaltered 4x3 (NTSC) image within the 16x9 1080i (or 720p) broadcast signal, consistent with KIRO (CBS), KOMO and KCTS HD (41.2).

Since digital channels for KING, KONG, KCPQ, KTWB and now KSTW all alter the aspect ratio of 4x3 source material, i.e., distorting the picture, I will rarely watch them except when they have true 16x9 HD programs that faithfully present the OAR.

Anyway, we're happy that you are on the air digitally.

Again, Ron, thanks for keeping us informed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.