AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 10609 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for doing this, Larry! Too bad you got bad news for me . . .

I guess I'm stuck with Comcast, eventually they'll have local channels in HD on cable. DirecTV will probably never do that because of bandwidth limitations so I think it doesn't make much sense for me to switch.

Thanx again.

Don Andres

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
pdampier,

Out of curiosity, what is your nearest intersection? I would like to see what the topo profile looks like so I can give more accurate advice to people in the future.

I don't know about the '160 but on the '150 you just punch in the digital channel number on the remote (e.g. 48 for chan 4). If it can lock in on a signal at some point it adds it to the list of channels and will show up as 'available' in the favorites list. This seems to work reliably for channels that are not found during the auto scan.

·
Registered
372 Posts
pdampier

I'd be interested in your antenna hardware config. I'm in a situation where topographically it doesn't look great (172nd Ave NE and NE 42nd in Redmond), but I have had some signal blips indoor w/ a Terk55 (no comments please) just holding up towards the ceiling at the West end of the living room. I haven't tried anything attic or outdoor yet because I'm debating about buying a better antenna....

·
Registered
253 Posts
You could try 282nd Place NE and NE Big Rock Road (98019) as the intersection... My road is actually NE 138th Place but its not on many maps yet...

Let me know your findings - Quite frankly I'm amazed I get a signal let alone 100% on all locals!

Re the antenna - I'm not sure of the exact make - it was installed for me but it looks like a 4248 on http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/u1.htm

There is a pre-amp on it and as I said an antenuator on the end of the coax as the signal was coming in to strong according to the installer...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
pdampier,

Your line-of-site to QA and Capitol Hill is what I have been calling "marginal". In other words, there is a large plateau east of Redmond at 600 feet and your elevation is about 430 feet. Since the plateau is 4 miles away, a small change in your elevation (i.e. a mast on a 2-story house) can make a sizable difference. When I plot the profile the line just barely clears the plateau so it is too close to call. If you have your antenna up high enough you should have a clear path to both tower locations. Are you east or west of Big Rock Road (east side is ~ 60 feet higher).

I have the ChannelMaster 4228 antenna. Works quite well considering I too have a marginal situation. I read 50% strength without any amp. I may add another 10 feet of mast at some point. I find it interesting that the chart on the channelmaster site shows your antenna as "fringe" with a range of 45 miles and mine as " ? " with a range of 60 miles! I think the '45' must be a misprint - yagi design is very good for distance.

What brand and model amp are you using?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
generationxwing,

Your line of site looks awful. You are at about 100 feet and 2 miles west of you is a 500 foot hill. The towers would have to be a mile high to give you a direct path (or a 200 foot mast at your end). You are probably getting some reflections (the blips) with your terk antenna. I would not invest a lot in OTA, wait for cable or dish HD. Or, move.

·
Registered
253 Posts
quarque: Yeah I'm on the east side of Big Rock Road. My installer also called the area "marginal" - He'd had no real success in Duvall until this one... Unfortunately I don't know the make of the pre-amp that was put in...

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Antenna is mounted about 2ft above the gutter on the 2nd floor of our house. Not even above the roofline.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by quarque
generationxwing,

Your line of site looks awful. You are at about 100 feet and 2 miles west of you is a 500 foot hill. The towers would have to be a mile high to give you a direct path (or a 200 foot mast at your end). You are probably getting some reflections (the blips) with your terk antenna. I would not invest a lot in OTA, wait for cable or dish HD. Or, move.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured, never hurts to ask though........I can't move, just bought this place.....d'OH.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Curious what you get for the topo of an address in Bonney Lake.

241st and 123rd East

I have tried 4 antenna and paid an installer another time with no success.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
keithaxis,

I see no major problem at all unless I am referencing the wrong point. My topo map is a little out of date so I have to guess where your house is. It appears you are about 36 miles from QA towers so any decent antenna should work. There is nothing in the way unless you are on the downside of a valley slope nearby and perhaps you are not at the elevation I think. Would you by any chance have GPS coordinates? Do you have large trees in the way? Do you see higher ground when you look NNW?

·
Registered
537 Posts
NNW is a hill (2 blocks away) about 100 feet highwith many fir trees. I was curious if that was my only obstacle, which it appears it may be. I am about 550 elevation with that hill probably going to 650 feet altitude.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
OK - that explains it. I had your location closer to the hill so 25 feet of elevation did not look significant. You are obviously further to the southeast. Yes, 100 feet of hill that close and so far from the towers makes it a "very unlikely" situation. You would need to get your antenna at least 75 up in the air. Of couse, then there are the trees...

I just saw in another post that some guy in Kentucky picked up brief signals from a station 1062 miles away(skip propagation), so I guess anything is possible!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
trandy,

Well, I wouldn't call it awful, but perhaps "very unlikely". You would have to overcome a 150 foot rise about 1/2 mile west. Unless you can get your antenna well above the ground (50-75') you will not have a chance. Sorry.

Doing all these plots makes me wonder what OTA analog was like in Seattle (before cable). Must have been lots of people with little to no TV. I came to Seattle in '79 so it has always been cable for me until HD arrived. Luckily I am on a ridge with just barely a line to QA and CH towers. I suppose we could ask all the stations to jack up their towers another 1000 feet! That would double/triple the potential OTA audience.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
quarque

9308 81st Street SW

Tacoma, 98498

I get 5 and 7 with little to no drop outs. 4 and 9 are somewhat problematic

11 and 13 are unusable. I know I have tress in the way, a water tower just to the left, but am I also fighting hills?

·
Registered
253 Posts
5 is odd where I am in Duvall. I get all the other locals rock solid no glitches at all... Just recently 5 is down to 77% and the odd break up... Must be atmospherics? Does 5 broadcast on a lower power? They are on the same Queen Anne Towers as 4 and 7 etc right?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
quarque,

Hi, could you try 212th Ave and NE 10TH PL in Sammamish please?

I'm loath to buy a MyHD card and antenna until I know if there is hope! I'm hopeful as I'm reasonably high up in Sammamish, but who knows? Well, I guess you do

Many thanks,

David.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by pdampier
5 is odd where I am in Duvall. I get all the other locals rock solid no glitches at all... Just recently 5 is down to 77% and the odd break up... Must be atmospherics? Does 5 broadcast on a lower power? They are on the same Queen Anne Towers as 4 and 7 etc right?

KOMO-4, KING-5 and KIRO-7 each have their own (separate) towers. All three are on Queen Anne Hill. KONG-16 also shares the KING-5 tower.

Do you get KSTW-DT over there (36-1/11-1)? In the beginning, they were focusing their limited-power digital signal toward Tacoma. So, many folks south and north of their tower are able to see their digital channel. But folks east and west would have little or no signal to work with. Perhaps they have increased their power and eliminated the directionality of their signal by now (although I have not heard so).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I occasionally get breakups on KING-DT (5) here, east of Renton. I never see them on KOMO-DT (4) or KIRO-DT (7). I don't watch a lot of KONG-DT, but so far I have not seen the dropouts there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just moved to near 162nd Ave and NE 43rd in Redmond and I'm trying to pull in HDs from an antenna in my attic. I just got a Winegard PR-8800 that a friend wasn't using that I've set up, but I'm only getting channels 5 and 7 adequately. For instance, is coming in really poorly (3-6 on the signal meter out of 100). I do have a 50 foot hill about 1/4 mile away that I have to clear that has trees and houses on it, but I'm not sure that is such a big problem. I do get KIRO with an adequate signal (around 50 out of 100). I wonder if I may have too much gain? Should I try a CM4228? How can I tell if I need to use an attenuator?

If anyone wants to buy a house in Sammamish, I have one for sale with an RSDB mounted in the attic that has a line of sight to QA, and gets all stations quite well :). If it doesn't sell soon, I may go over there and take that thing out of the attic and see if it works in the new house.

21 - 40 of 10609 Posts