AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 10627 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Larry,

I'm about to move to Woodinville (About 200 yards NW of the corner of Paradise Lake Rd and Woodinville-Duvall Rd), and I wanted to know if there a chance for me to get OTA-HD reception there. AntennaWeb says yes, but I not convinced. Could you please check it out for me?

Thank you very much in advance!

-eric

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Eric - your line of site looks rather marginal. There is a large hill about 2 miles SW of you. If you can get your antenna on a mast on the roof you might have a chance. I would try borrowing some equipment if you can before investing in your own stuff. Or consult a professional installer. They might be able to give you a more definite answer for a price.

Larry

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd like to see what I'm fighting here. Of the major channels, I can get 4, 5, and 13 with some dropouts. 7 is nearly impossible. This is with a CM4221 leaning against a post on the roof (I haven't bothered to put up a mast yet).

I'm at the intersection of 228th St. and NE Redmond Fall City Road in Redmond (98053).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by sergepaxton
Larry,

Could you please check the following address:

21802 SE 20th Street

Sammamish

This forum simply rocks!

You have no line-of-site problem whatsoever. Any reception problems would be due to local conditions like trees or multipath interference. What sort of problems are you having?

Larry

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by pbishop
I'd like to see what I'm fighting here. Of the major channels, I can get 4, 5, and 13 with some dropouts. 7 is nearly impossible. This is with a CM4221 leaning against a post on the roof (I haven't bothered to put up a mast yet).

I'm at the intersection of 228th St. and NE Redmond Fall City Road in Redmond (98053).

I am surprised you get anything. Your elevation is about 200 feet and there is a 550 foot hill about 1 mile WSW that should be blocking all signals. You must be picking up reflections somehow. How steady are your best channels?

Larry

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Please check 216th Ave S and 14th Ave S in Des Moines, WA 98198.

The VHF stuff comes in poorly, but UHF is usually OK. I have line of sight to Tacoma proper, more or less, but the SEATAC plateau might be in the way of Seattle. Verizon cellphone reception is very poor. So I'm afraid I might be in a shadow.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by quarque
I am surprised you get anything. Your elevation is about 200 feet and there is a 550 foot hill about 1 mile WSW that should be blocking all signals. You must be picking up reflections somehow. How steady are your best channels?

Larry

That's what I figured. It's that Sammamish plateau. If I aim the antenna right, I can get 4 and 5 reasonably solid. I say reasonably because there will usually be an audio dropout or two per show. The Dish 6000 never shows above 80% for either one. I only get 7 on rare days, but it never sticks around for long.

Thanks for checking. I guess I won't put too much more effort into getting OTA signals. Now I just need to cut down some trees so I can get the other satellite slots for the new HDTV packages.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by pbishop
That's what I figured. It's that Sammamish plateau. If I aim the antenna right, I can get 4 and 5 reasonably solid. I say reasonably because there will usually be an audio dropout or two per show. The Dish 6000 never shows above 80% for either one. I only get 7 on rare days, but it never sticks around for long.

Thanks for checking. I guess I won't put too much more effort into getting OTA signals. Now I just need to cut down some trees so I can get the other satellite slots for the new HDTV packages.

So your OTA HD choices are wait for Comcast or go with Bell ExpressVu from Canada, since they carry some of the Seattle locals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Larry and all, hello.

I am a new owner of Samsung DTV(HLN431/SIRT165/DVDHD931)equipment. I am trying for OTA reception and would like an assesment of my location. My LOS distance is only ~10 miles due west, I am in Bremerton, 710 NW Fairwood way, corner Fairwood and Nels Nelson. I am a Ham and have a 50' tower avalible. I have a CM 3023 yagi and 7775 preamp ready to try(anyone want to climb a tower)
thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Shing
Please check 216th Ave S and 14th Ave S in Des Moines, WA 98198.

The VHF stuff comes in poorly, but UHF is usually OK. I have line of sight to Tacoma proper, more or less, but the SEATAC plateau might be in the way of Seattle. Verizon cellphone reception is very poor. So I'm afraid I might be in a shadow.

Thanks

Al - your elevation is about 160 feet and the hill/plateau to the north is about 400 feet at 3/4 mile from you. This makes your LOS very marginal. You may get reception but probably not steady. Your situation would be helped considerably by a tall mast on the roof of your (tall?) house.

Larry

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmike99
Larry and all, hello.

I am a new owner of Samsung DTV(HLN431/SIRT165/DVDHD931)equipment. I am trying for OTA reception and would like an assesment of my location. My LOS distance is only ~10 miles due west, I am in Bremerton, 710 NW Fairwood way, corner Fairwood and Nels Nelson. I am a Ham and have a 50' tower avalible. I have a CM 3023 yagi and 7775 preamp ready to try(anyone want to climb a tower)
thanks in advance

Mike

Mike - your elevation is 225 feet and you have a 280 foot hill due east about 1/3 mile. The angle from the ground over that peak just misses the tower tops on QA hill. So if you can get your antenna even 25 feet off the ground you have a good chance at clear reception. Now 50 feet would guarantee it. If you used something like a CM 4228 you could hang it part way up the mast due its flat profile. I take it the yagi is not mounted. What IS at the top of that tower?

Larry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Larry

sounds great! well at the top of the tower is a 6 ele. 3band yagi on a 24ft boom, on top of the 10 foot mast is a 11 ele. 2m yagi. and the 3023 will fit real nice inbetween the pair at ~ 53', rotatable. now, there are many 100' fir trees close by, so I am going to add an CM 7777 just so i dont have to go back up the tower. I tryed an RS ant. at about 20' with cheap coax and could only get 13-1 & 13-2. i figured i was loosing more in the coax than i was getting from the ant. thanks i will keep you posted on my results

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
Larry,

Don't know if you're getting sick of this yet, but... if you aren't, I'm at:

32424 NE 136th Street

Duvall, WA 98019

Using a Silver Sensor I've been able to get a couple of Bellevue shopping channels, and some blips on a couple of other channels. Nothing good.

I've tried the Channel Master 8 bay bowtie (forgot the model #) at different locations outside, but the best results so far have been with the Silver Sensor in the house. I use different dishes and receivers to get HD, but would like to get rid of one satellite subscription if possible.

Thanks for your time!

Jeff

·
Registered
253 Posts
6Dishes: I'm about 1.5 miles up NE Big Rock road from the "new" Safeway and I get all the local HD channels fine (NBC sometimes glitches as its around 77% but all others are 100%) - Got an antenna, preamp and antennutor.. Antenna is mounted just about gutter height on back of house.

·
Registered
427 Posts
pdampier

I'm up Big Rock, north of the Stillwater church. I don't know if you're familiar with Kelly Road, but I'm west of Kelly Road, up the hill from the swamp. I have a UM 1000A for mpeg, MY HD for local, and a Digicypher HD decoder for DC2 signals.

Lots of satellite related HD, but my wife just wants the locals. She'd be happy with KOMO. Hope you guys can help me out...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by 6Dishes
Larry,

Don't know if you're getting sick of this yet, but... if you aren't, I'm at:

32424 NE 136th Street

Duvall, WA 98019

Using a Silver Sensor I've been able to get a couple of Bellevue shopping channels, and some blips on a couple of other channels. Nothing good.

I've tried the Channel Master 8 bay bowtie (forgot the model #) at different locations outside, but the best results so far have been with the Silver Sensor in the house. I use different dishes and receivers to get HD, but would like to get rid of one satellite subscription if possible.

Thanks for your time!

Jeff

Jeff - your elevation is about 525 feet and there is a 550 foot hill SW of you about 1/8 mile. If you get your antenna high enough you should have a good shot at the QA towers. The CM 4228 is the antenna you referred to. It is the one I use and lots of others as well. It should work well if you get it at leat 20 feet or so off the ground. It is fairly directional.

And, no, I'm not sick of it yet, just deposit another 25 cents...

Larry

·
Registered
427 Posts

And, no, I'm not sick of it yet, just deposit another 25 cents...

Larry>

Thanks Larry,

You give me hope! I probably just haven't found the right spot yet. I have a bunch of trees around me, and haven't tried the CM again since I took some down.

Your 25 cents is in the bank, but you really should up your rates...

I appreciate the info. Thanks!

61 - 80 of 10627 Posts