AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 10627 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just curious, does anyone have a good estimate of the number of OTA DTV users in the Seattle area? How fast/slow is it growing, or does it grow? Perhaps we can count ourselves and friends/neighbors. OK, I am one.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I am one too! ... for a total of two counted so far.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
me three

·
Registered
68 Posts
Larry

I wish i found this thread before I bought my Samsung t151 and Channel Master 4221. They will be arriving is the next couple of days. Can you check my location for the the changes of getting a good OTA.

I live in the Millcreek area 54th ave SE and Puget park drive. The air in that direction looks good to me, but it sounds like big hills can mess things. The big question is will I have OTA equipment for sale....Thanks Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Larry

I wish i found this thread before I bought my Samsung t151 and Channel Master 4221. They will be arriving is the next couple of days. Can you check my location for the the changes of getting a good OTA.

I live in the Millcreek area 54th ave SE and Puget park drive. MY address 14929 54th ave se.

The air in that direction looks good to me, but it sounds like big hills can mess things. The big question is will I have OTA equipment for sale....Thanks Mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
Larry,

I'm sick of waiting for Comcast. Can you run the following intersection?

143rd St SE & 61st Ave SE

Everett, WA

This is in the Silver Firs housing development just NE of Mill Creek. I have a two story house and plan on putting an antenna about 8 ft above the roof line so figure about 35ft. above the ground. A roof mounted antenna would actually be going against CC&R for my association. I'm debating whether to just try it and hope nobody complains (would be mostly hid by trees) or using an attic antenna. Given this situation and my distance from the main towers in Seattle (don't care about the Tacoma tower or any others) what would you guys recommend for both situations? Assuming I have a chance at reception anyway. According to AntennaWeb.org I just barely clear a large tree when aiming at Queen Anne and Capitol Hill. The only other thing I see when looking that direction is sky. There are tons of trees in all other directions though.

Also very curious if anybody knows the answer to this question. When the stations cease analog broadcasts and go strictly digital will they start broadcasting digital on VHF? If so, would digital VHF be easier or more difficult to receive. I was thinking a UHF antenna on my roof would be less noticed than a huge VHF/UHF combo. If VHF would work good in the attic I'd probably be OK.

Thanks for any help.

Brent

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm an OTA'er.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow Big_Dawg! You're only a few blocks away from me (1/4 mile or less). Perhaps if Larry gives you a no go and it looks good for me you've already got a buyer for your equipment.

Actually, I've often wished I was where you are at. From just eyeballing it you're probably slightly higher in elevation from me and I know your division in Silver Firs has way fewer trees than where I'm at. In either case I think we're both at a fairly high elevation. We're actually on a huge hill when you think about it as the Snohomish valley is just .5 to 1 mile NE of us. It's quite a long steep hill to drive down Seattle Hill Rd. into the valley and driving down Mill Creek Rd. to the Bothell Everett Highway is also pretty steep. The question is is there anything higher between us and the towers. That's what Larry can tell us. What do you say Larry?

Keep me posted Mike on your reception. You sticking that antenna in your attic or risking a CC&R violation? Don't know what kind of HT equipment you have but if you want to check out a 110" diagonal FP system let me know. Noticed your a new member. WELCOME!

Brent

·
Registered
68 Posts
Small World (BJM)

Yes I'm on a little higher ground than you are and I will also be installing it on a 2 story house. I suppose I will be risking a CC&R but what are they going to do tell me to take it down. So I'm rebel. Only 2 houses can see it...

It will be sitting right next to my (2) dishes and the the 4221 channel master is small in size and looks more like a BBQ grill then a antenna. What are you doing next week I need someone to tell me I've got the ant. in the right spot. It better work I had to work the wife hard on this one.

It will be good practice for your when Larry gives us the thumbs up. Hit me with another PM....Big Dawg.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There are many posts in the AVS Forum regarding your rights to place a television reception antenna and/or dish on your home per FCC rulings that supersede any local government or homeowner association rules.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's good news Budget_HT. Thanks.

Mike, I'd love to help you out some evening next week as soon as you get your gear. I'm definately not afraid of heights so no problem with getting on the roof. Just send me another PM when you're ready to go.

Brent

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Big_Dawg
Larry

I live in the Millcreek area 54th ave SE and Puget park drive. MY address 14929 54th ave se.

The air in that direction looks good to me, but it sounds like big hills can mess things. The big question is will I have OTA equipment for sale....Thanks Mike

You lucky dawg. You are dead-even with the base of QA at 18.2 miles and there is nuttin' in the way (well, perhaps some trees or houses?). Get your antenna in the right place, aim it upwards ~10 deg. & happy viewing!

Larry

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by BJM
Larry,

I'm sick of waiting for Comcast. Can you run the following intersection?

143rd St SE & 61st Ave SE

Everett, WA

Brent

You are an even luckier dawg than the Big_Dawg, being 75 feet higher up. Your main problem may be trees or houses. A number of people have had good luck with the Channel Master 4228 (as I have also). It is an 8-bay bowtie that presents a wide and tall area for signal capture. The trick is finding the sweet spot around or on your house. It may not be the roof. Good luck!

Hmmm... this is turning into a cottage industry. Let's see, laptop with TopoUSA, HD receiver, RatShack bowtie mobile antenna...say $100 site checkout fee... 5 sites per day.... carry the 3, hmmm.... I may quit my day job.

Larry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Larry --

I am another Duvall person. 278th Ave NE between 150th and Manion. Can you check things out for me?

I am just now thinking about buying a MyHD card and antenna, I would have no idea what flavor I need. I am hoping to just stick one up in my attic...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Big Dawg & BJM:

I'm in the same neck of the woods as you two. I live at 128th St & 29th Ave - roughly 2 miles NW of you guys. I get great reception with a Channel Master 4248 on my roof - and I'm in a hole. All of my signals come in at a minimum of 80 for all networks that are (or will be) broadcasting in HD - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Fox. I also get uninterrupted reception on all the other digital stations.

Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
.."cottage industry"... my eye...check-out my website, WWW.ISFMD.COM, click the antenna link...there you will see a service entitled "site signal survey" . the prospective ota viewer engages us to visit his property to tune-in and quantify any and all uhf channels dedicated to atsc signals. we do this with a spectrum analyzer which, when said frequencies are found and quantified, lets the client know exactly which digital channels he is able to receive and at what reliability level. then he is able to make antenna decisions based on known values...number of channels, which channels, reliability of channels...zero guess work. if he is a go, we know what antenna design will be superior, rotor question answered, placement decision made. this service is $75.00...or free if we are engaged to do the install.

we also offer the existing antenna optimization service...same basic procedure, from a known spot...check the antennas focus, evaluate antennas design suitability, as well as the wiring and installation integrity.

test reports, observations and recommendations reports given...again, $75.00,,,applicable towards any service orders.

somewhere in here, your analysis protocol would seem to be a valuable addition. if you can out-line a merged system of superior value, and would be interested in participating let me know..

thanx

robb

seattle

[email protected]

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
A roof mounted antenna would actually be going against CC&R for my association

Not if thats what is needed to receive a signal - It can be up to 12ft above roof line if I recall and the CC&R's don't count.

·
Registered
739 Posts
To all talking about CC&R's. The FCC regs overule them. Search this place and you will find. I just forget the FCC web site page that addresses this issue.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My Sweet Spot in Woodinville

81 - 100 of 10627 Posts