AVS Forum banner

10621 - 10627 of 10627 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Anybody else noticing macroblocking on KING 5.1 now that they are also carrying KONG 16.1? Didn't see it before and it's actually quite bad during some scenes of SNL tonight. Maybe they could at least knock the KONG signal down to 720p.
I've had stuttering here and there, depending on the device, but not noticed that being any worse than normal.
Edit -update to HDHR software has resolved the stuttering & freezing

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is KIRO doing something different than KING/KONG on the ATSC3.0 video? Is KING/KONG progressive and KIRO interlaced?
(edited with correct info from technology leads at KING and KIRO)

"KING and KONG are 1080p 60 and KCPQ and KZJO are 720p 60"

KIRO is 1080i. They made a change last week to force the aspect ratio and that has overcome the issue of players what were displaying it as squished image (seeing it as 540p as they don't currently support/understand 1080i HEVC).

·
Registered
110 Posts
The macroblocking on KING 5.1 is terrible tonight! I'm watching the Steelers/Browns game and it's so noticeable. KONG really needs to be knocked down to 720p and the bit rate reduced. I've seen the ratings- they're not really going to upset anybody by doing that.

Val

·
Registered
110 Posts
KCTS-9 just filed to move to channel 17 with 1,000 KW from a slightly directional antenna to protect a station in B.C. Their proposal mentions reception problems necessitating the move. Perhaps the problem is that they are running 21.7 KW instead of the 100 KW that their neighbor KSTW is running.

Val

·
Registered
484 Posts
The macroblocking on KING 5.1 is terrible tonight! I'm watching the Steelers/Browns game and it's so noticeable. KONG really needs to be knocked down to 720p and the bit rate reduced. I've seen the ratings- they're not really going to upset anybody by doing that.
Val
I didn't watch the whole thing but had it on my PC for a bit and didn't notice any issues. I noticed you've been having issues with King 5 specifically (I assume it is with ATSC 1.0). Are you aware of what the signal strength and quality is when this is happening?

·
Registered
419 Posts
• The Stadium simulcast on 13.4 is now PSIPed "BUZZR"
Noticed this morning that 13.4 is BUZZR, now! :)

KCTS-9 just filed to move to channel 17 with 1,000 KW from a slightly directional antenna to protect a station in B.C. Their proposal mentions reception problems necessitating the move. Perhaps the problem is that they are running 21.7 KW instead of the 100 KW that their neighbor KSTW is running.
This is great news! If the FCC and Industry Canada sign-off on this, 1MW on channel 17 could put out an even better signal than when they were on channel 41 during the transition. :D

10621 - 10627 of 10627 Posts