AVS Forum banner

10621 - 10638 of 10638 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Anybody else noticing macroblocking on KING 5.1 now that they are also carrying KONG 16.1? Didn't see it before and it's actually quite bad during some scenes of SNL tonight. Maybe they could at least knock the KONG signal down to 720p.
I've had stuttering here and there, depending on the device, but not noticed that being any worse than normal.
Edit -update to HDHR software has resolved the stuttering & freezing

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is KIRO doing something different than KING/KONG on the ATSC3.0 video? Is KING/KONG progressive and KIRO interlaced?
(edited with correct info from technology leads at KING and KIRO)

"KING and KONG are 1080p 60 and KCPQ and KZJO are 720p 60"

KIRO is 1080i. They made a change last week to force the aspect ratio and that has overcome the issue of players what were displaying it as squished image (seeing it as 540p as they don't currently support/understand 1080i HEVC).

·
Registered
113 Posts
The macroblocking on KING 5.1 is terrible tonight! I'm watching the Steelers/Browns game and it's so noticeable. KONG really needs to be knocked down to 720p and the bit rate reduced. I've seen the ratings- they're not really going to upset anybody by doing that.

Val

·
Registered
113 Posts
KCTS-9 just filed to move to channel 17 with 1,000 KW from a slightly directional antenna to protect a station in B.C. Their proposal mentions reception problems necessitating the move. Perhaps the problem is that they are running 21.7 KW instead of the 100 KW that their neighbor KSTW is running.

Val

·
Registered
484 Posts
The macroblocking on KING 5.1 is terrible tonight! I'm watching the Steelers/Browns game and it's so noticeable. KONG really needs to be knocked down to 720p and the bit rate reduced. I've seen the ratings- they're not really going to upset anybody by doing that.
Val
I didn't watch the whole thing but had it on my PC for a bit and didn't notice any issues. I noticed you've been having issues with King 5 specifically (I assume it is with ATSC 1.0). Are you aware of what the signal strength and quality is when this is happening?

·
Registered
419 Posts
• The Stadium simulcast on 13.4 is now PSIPed "BUZZR"
Noticed this morning that 13.4 is BUZZR, now! :)

KCTS-9 just filed to move to channel 17 with 1,000 KW from a slightly directional antenna to protect a station in B.C. Their proposal mentions reception problems necessitating the move. Perhaps the problem is that they are running 21.7 KW instead of the 100 KW that their neighbor KSTW is running.
This is great news! If the FCC and Industry Canada sign-off on this, 1MW on channel 17 could put out an even better signal than when they were on channel 41 during the transition. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a LAVA HDTV ROTATING antenna. Been using the latest model since 2018. However, I've been using this system since 2012. I am 62 to 83 miles from towers. I was receiving between 32 to 46 channels. I live in the Columbia Basis Desert area.Last month we lost everything. Our antenna is 30 foot off ground.
We tried rescanning many times.
Will a LTE 5g filterand booster amp do any good. Filter is $23...40 to 60 db boosters are about $100.
What are my best options?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If you had good reception on a regular basis and suddenly lost everything, you have a problem. A broken cable or connection is most likely.

Do you currently use any amplifier?

Any new construction or blockage in front of your antenna?

Reactions: Five28

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I have a LAVA HDTV ROTATING antenna. Been using the latest model since 2018....Last month we lost everything. Our antenna is 30 foot off ground.
Hello, FryeDraic; welcome to the forum.

We will need a signal report for your locartion as required in the sticky thread at the top of the page to make an accurate evaluation, but before that I suggest you try a different antenna and feedline to see if the problem is the TV or the antenna.

The antenna that you have is what we call the "150-mile" antenna. It has a low price but poor reliability.

see time stamp 6:08

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you examined the antenna to see if any elements broke off, coax connections was loosened, or if it is receiving power?

I have a LAVA HDTV ROTATING antenna. Been using the latest model since 2018. However, I've been using this system since 2012. I am 62 to 83 miles from towers. I was receiving between 32 to 46 channels. I live in the Columbia Basis Desert area.Last month we lost everything. Our antenna is 30 foot off ground.
Will a LTE 5g filterand booster amp do any good. Filter is $23...40 to 60 db boosters are about $100.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you examined the antenna to see if any elements broke off, coax connections was loosened, or if it is receiving power?
The Pre Amp Probably Died. It's a not that well built.

·
Registered
728 Posts
@FyreDraic , Your 62-83 mile distance is pushing technically boundaries. Due to the earth's curvature usually 70 miles is about the limit. But, antenna height (both transmitting and receiving antennae) can help a bit with that. Whatever signals you receive you are very fortunate to be receiving. Having said that... :)

Since you had good reception last month and no reception this month...something happened. You'll have to figure out what happened. Either a piece of your equipment had a failure. The antenna farm you were receiving signals from changed something, but to have all signals dramatically disappear would be highly unusual. There has been something built/erected/installed between you and the antenna farm that is blocking or interfering with the signals.

The first think that I would do would be to bypass your entire antenna system. Get a straight piece of coax long enough to connect to the television and reach outside of the house on the side facing the towers. Connect something like a 4-bay bowtie antenna to it and mount it to the end of a long pole (rigid conduit comes in 10' sections, pvc pipe longer than that but more bendy). Use this mobile antenna to move around outside a bit and see what happens. You could even test the mobile antenna before mounting on a pole just to see if you can get a signal inside the house...if you have tinted windows, foil-backed insulation, metal-backed stucco siding, etc, then this will hinder indoor reception greatly...thus my recommendation to get the mobile/test antenna outside of the house. If you get any kind of a signal then you know the signal is there you just have to figure out why your system isn't processing it.

Even better would be a small television that you could place outdoors with a short piece of coax connecting it to an antenna.. The shorter the coax the stronger signal you will have going to the receiver.

The best signal that you can possibly get is at the feed point of the antenna...where the coax cable connects to the antenna. You cannot improve that signal. If you get a good signal at the feed point you can do things to preserve it...with interference you can filter out the some of the offending signals, with long cable runs (causes signal loss) you can amplify the signal to keep it strong enough for your receiver to work with. Splitters are another source of signal power loss...with a two-port splitter you are dividing the signal by two...a three-port is by three...etc.,.. Using good coax helps with local and distant forms of interference. You can do all of this to improve things if you have that good signal at the feed point. If there is no signal or basically a crappy signal down in the dirt (noise) then it can be a losing battle...you can't make something from nothing...you can't make a turkey fly like and eagle.

But since you were receiving signals well in the recent past apparently something has happened. Bypass your current antenna system and see if things improve. If nothing else, hook a set of rabbit ears up to the test coax and see if you receive anything. You are working at a long distance...even in a possibly flat desert area.

Best wishes.
Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
@FyreDraic , Your 62-83 mile distance is pushing technically boundaries. Due to the earth's curvature usually 70 miles is about the limit. But, antenna height (both transmitting and receiving antennae) can help a bit with that. Whatever signals you receive you are very fortunate to be receiving. Having said that... :)

Since you had good reception last month and no reception this month...something happened. You'll have to figure out what happened. Either a piece of your equipment had a failure. The antenna farm you were receiving signals from changed something, but to have all signals dramatically disappear would be highly unusual. There has been something built/erected/installed between you and the antenna farm that is blocking or interfering with the signals.

The first think that I would do would be to bypass your entire antenna system. Get a straight piece of coax long enough to connect to the television and reach outside of the house on the side facing the towers. Connect something like a 4-bay bowtie antenna to it and mount it to the end of a long pole (rigid conduit comes in 10' sections, pvc pipe longer than that but more bendy). Use this mobile antenna to move around outside a bit and see what happens. You could even test the mobile antenna before mounting on a pole just to see if you can get a signal inside the house...if you have tinted windows, foil-backed insulation, metal-backed stucco siding, etc, then this will hinder indoor reception greatly...thus my recommendation to get the mobile/test antenna outside of the house. If you get any kind of a signal then you know the signal is there you just have to figure out why your system isn't processing it.

Even better would be a small television that you could place outdoors with a short piece of coax connecting it to an antenna.. The shorter the coax the stronger signal you will have going to the receiver.

The best signal that you can possibly get is at the feed point of the antenna...where the coax cable connects to the antenna. You cannot improve that signal. If you get a good signal at the feed point you can do things to preserve it...with interference you can filter out the some of the offending signals, with long cable runs (causes signal loss) you can amplify the signal to keep it strong enough for your receiver to work with. Splitters are another source of signal power loss...with a two-port splitter you are dividing the signal by two...a three-port is by three...etc.,.. Using good coax helps with local and distant forms of interference. You can do all of this to improve things if you have that good signal at the feed point. If there is no signal or basically a crappy signal down in the dirt (noise) then it can be a losing battle...you can't make something from nothing...you can't make a turkey fly like and eagle.

But since you were receiving signals well in the recent past apparently something has happened. Bypass your current antenna system and see if things improve. If nothing else, hook a set of rabbit ears up to the test coax and see if you receive anything. You are working at a long distance...even in a possibly flat desert area.

Best wishes.
Ed
In response to your expertise...
All cables are new and shielded.
Antenna will not turn with broken cable.
However...for those of you who DO have this same reception problem;
I spent nearly two months researching and cross checking all avenues of problems. I have found the solution to be quite simple.
Most Television/Antenna experts were telling me I have a broken cable. Some telling me I need a uhf/vhf high decibel signal booster.
Can't put a signal booster on a high gain amplified antenna. Result would be worse as it would only boost internal noise...signal feedback.
Nope...the problem is NOT that the signal is weak...it is still there...it is just blanketed with microwave LTE 5G signals. Thanks to the FCC RE PACK LAWS accommodating 4G and 5GLTE towers...all signals are redirected with different call numbers. To get past this delimna
an LTE 5G filter is needed. I was
I bought a Silicon Dust 5G LTE Filter
for $17 through Amazon. I have all of my stations back plus 8 more.

Silicon Dust LPF-608M LTE
STANDARD 600/608/618MHz

Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
728 Posts
In response to your expertise...
All cables are new and shielded.
Antenna will not turn with broken cable.
However...for those of you who DO have this same reception problem;
I spent nearly two months researching and cross checking all avenues of problems. I have found the solution to be quite simple.
Most Television/Antenna experts were telling me I have a broken cable. Some telling me I need a uhf/vhf high decibel signal booster.
Can't put a signal booster on a high gain amplified antenna. Result would be worse as it would only boost internal noise...signal feedback.
Nope...the problem is NOT that the signal is weak...it is still there...it is just blanketed with microwave LTE 5G signals. Thanks to the FCC RE PACK LAWS accommodating 4G and 5GLTE towers...all signals are redirected with different call numbers. To get past this delimna
an LTE 5G filter is needed. I was
I bought a Silicon Dust 5G LTE Filter
for $17 through Amazon. I have all of my stations back plus 8 more.

Silicon Dust LPF-608M LTE
STANDARD 600/608/618MHz

Thanks for your input...
Yeah, ok. Glad it worked for you. Sorry that I wasted your time trying to help with my "expertise".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Saturday morning- Grit is now on KWPX 33.2 replacing Qubo. Grit is also on KSTW 11.3 at the moment. Shut my TV off and turned it back on to update the PSIP info.

This is the PSIP info for 33.x:
33.1- ION
33.2- Court TV
33.3- Bounce
33.4- Grit
33.5- QVC
33.6- HSN
33.7- TLMD

The only channel that has actually changed at this point is 33.2. 33.3 for example is still showing ION Plus.

Val

·
Registered
166 Posts
Man, they really didn't want to waste time sending the Ion subchannels behind the shed, huh? Almost as if someone at Scripps took one look at what was being broadcast on those channels and said, "Get that kiddy/duplicate/glorified infomercial crap off the air!" Though admittedly, Qubo was the only one of those three with even a tiny shred of value.

10621 - 10638 of 10638 Posts