AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone note KCPQ DT (13.1) today had most of its programming in "widescreen" mode of some kind? My perception was that it is 16:9 SDTV ??? Picture not as good as KOMO DT .

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yup, I noticed that last night. They're cropping the 4x3 picture to make it 16x9. I'm one of those OAR folks. I'd like to see shows in whatever format they were shot in. It should be interesting when one of the Fox 16x9 shows hits KCPQ. I guess I'm wondering if they'll take the 4x3 network signal they've been running until now and crop the top and bottom to make it 16x9 or if they'll transmit the 16x9 signal as 16x9. BTW, their picture may not be as good as KOMO-DT, but it's sure better than analog. Art in Anacortes

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Art,

You are "correct sir!" Much better than analog. By the way, do you have trouble with KING 5.3 breaking up? KCPQ is the furthest from me and it is like a rock.

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I can barely get KING digital. KCPQ is the only solid station I get, and it's there 100% of the time with 97-98 on the strength meter. KCTS is visible much of the time, but it unlocks several times an hour. From there, it's all downhill, in order of locked-in time: KIRO and KING. I've never seen KOMO-DT, though the signal strength meter shows signal some of the time. These last four all have signal strengths that go up and down, which means I don't have line of sight (which I believe) and/or multi-path issues.

I'm 58 miles from KING/KIRO/KOMO, about 60 miles from KCPQ.

KCPQ has an excellent antenna location, on a 2000 foot mountain about 6 miles west of Bremerton. KIRO,KOMO,KING are all on Queen Anne Hill at about 700 feet. KCTS is at about 800 feet on Capitol Hill, I believe.

I've ordered a Radio Shack uhf antenna for some lower level testing because I think signals got destroyed when I moved the antenna to the roof.

Quote:
Originally posted by Babula:
Art,

You are "correct sir!" Much better than analog. By the way, do you have trouble with KING 5.3 breaking up? KCPQ is the furthest from me and it is like a rock.

Bill

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Art,

Waht STB do you use? Thanks for info. I am on the "back side" of hill in Woodinville that is definitely not line of sight. I can find "sweet spots' all over my family room with a RS Bow tie. I get a little better using RS UHF Yagi (on the ground pointing up the hill) and can find a sweet spot that allows all 5 Seattle DT (compromised). I don't think I could put the antenna high enough to overcome LOS. i conlcude I get multipath and just try to find the best spot until a varmit or the wind moves it slightly. :)

But DT is certainly better thasn analog and just like digital is ones and zeros, reception is there or it is not. No ghosts! :)

The big mystery to me is King 5.3 breaking up (ghosting?) .

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm also in the Woodinville area, but with pretty good line of sight.

I switched to the Panasonic TU-HDS20, and ALL of my local station problems went away compared to the Sony HD100 I had before:

a) King 5.3 reception is perfect, no more breakups every few seconds.

b) No more lip sync problems/dropouts on KCTS 9.1.

c) KOMO, KIRO, and FOX seem to work about the same as before, which was basically correct even before the box switch.

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy,

I knew that... Great, but there is not enough programming for me to get upset yet. Getting there though. SONY will come through.

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I talked to an engineer at KCPQ tonight. Here's the lowdown: They're running with an NTSC feed upconverted to 480i, now with 14x9 squeeze. They'll run with this until new equipment arrives next month, and after installation and testing, they'll be Fox ATSC, 480p, 16x9, with local NTSC upconverted.

Bill: I have the Sony hd100 (still in first 30 days) and am pretty sure I'll stick with it. I don't have a DirecTV elliptical dish yet. Gets installed on Tuesday.

Andy: Can you tell me about the signal levels and dropout problems you had with the Sony STB? The signal levels I get run from zero to 60s on KCTS and KIRO, lower on KING and all but non-existent on KOMO. I mean the signal swings that much on -each- station. Not at all a stable signal. When I watch analog kong/16, I see all kinds of leading and trailing ghosts, with picture wavering. I suspect only a small part of my problems are with the Sony box, mostly with crappy signals.

Art

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Art,

The so-called signal levels are just a Figure of Merit. My experience is that if the signal levels are varying all over the place, this means a lot of multipath. Mine swing + or - 5 at around 70 on he HD-100 (OTA) My experience with OTA is similar to it with DIrectv when I installed that about 5 years ago. That is get a good, reasonablt steady FOM level at around 70 or above (DBS) and OTA. This is why I am so curious about KING DT as it is my strongest and yet drops every 5 to 30 seconds.

Bill

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had no signal issues at all with the Sony, in that all channels I received OTA consistently had signal meter readings between 93 and 98 without any major fluctuation.

The problems all appeared to be related to Sony's implementation of decoding the signals it WAS seeing. I think I probably have to believe that your problems are antenna placement, distance/geometry to transmitter, multipath, etc. kinds of issues.

Regards, Andy

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
168 Posts
As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, the KING dropouts have been acknowledged by Sony to be an issue (not related to signal strength.) They claim it's a deviation from spec by several broadcasters around the country (including this one), and that they're working with those broadcasters to resolve the issue. I think that's kind of an arrogant answer, since other STBs manage to decode the same signal just fine.

In the software biz, if you come out AFTER another product, and you fail to interoperate with it, we call that "incompatibility." Regardless of who's right on the spec/technical merits...he who ships first wins, de facto. And in this case, KING was on the air lonnnnng before the Sony box came out.

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tonight was actually an unusually good night for digital reception from Seattle. I got KOMO-DT for the first time. KING-DT was fairly strong and level and I had frequent dropouts. I watched an hour on KCTS with only a handful of dropouts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.