AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if I want to spend 3k for a tv. What would be the second best plasma that measures 64 inches that is readily available? Hoping to find something that is not far from the performance of the 8500 for a normal room.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Samsung H5000 would arguably be the second best. (or the best depending on perspective)

Or the F5300/F5500 if pentile is not your thing.

...Really, with Panasonic gone, it's really hard to recommend the second best and still good enoug.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am coming from led so I would like to see no flash lighting at night on a dark screen hopefully a second rate plasma could do that or am I wrong? Coming from a samsung 55 inch c8000. Its hard to judge tvs in showrooms cause the leds usually look better there.

I still don't understand the pentile display if I can't see it more than 5 feet away I don't really care but I have never seen a pentile display though. Are you positive the f5500 does not have pentile? I was told the h5000 even with pentile would have better quality tun the f5500.

·
Registered
14,560 Posts
I am not sure how far back you would have to sit from the 64" H5000 not to see the pentile design. However, a while back at Costco I was looking at the 60" F5300 which is pentile and from 9-10 feet I didn't see it, but it's of course very bright inside of the store - in a dark room not sure if that changes.

But, close up, what a horrid look!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm that h5000 on amazon 64 inch for under 1400 looks like a great deal considering I don't use 3d on my current tv I wouldn't miss it. The lack of reviews and everyones concern about pentile keeps me from clicking buy though...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2  /t/1523403/second-best-available-plasma-behind-8500#post_24505821

I am coming from led so I would like to see no flash lighting at night on a dark screen hopefully a second rate plasma could do that or am I wrong? Coming from a samsung 55 inch c8000. Its hard to judge tvs in showrooms cause the leds usually look better there.

I still don't understand the pentile display if I can't see it more than 5 feet away I don't really care but I have never seen a pentile display though. Are you positive the f5500 does not have pentile? I was told the h5000 even with pentile would have better quality tun the f5500.

If you're looking for perfect uniformity and perfect viewing angle, any of the plasmas will do that for you.

Anyways, here's just a brief run-down about the remaining plasmas sold now that Panasonic is gone.

LG plasmas

- the cheapest

- Does not really have great black, but improves tremendously with a very simple black mod. Near the Samsung E8000 I'd say.

- Poor ABL

overall, a great value set. While its stock block won't really be beating the S-PVA LCDs, it can be done with a black mod. I've personally done it myself and that was my impression. (I used to have a Sony LCD too)

Samsung F4500

-Very affordable 720p TV

-Great black

-Second greatest ABL performance after the F8500. (For 51 inch one that is. Close to the ST60 IMO)

- 1024x768 anamorphic resolution is a downer though...

Samsung F5300

- Does not have 3D, so little cheaper than the F5500, but otherwise, same black/ABL performance

- Has advanced calibration option that the F5500 lacks

- 60 inches one uses pentile, BEWARE!

Samsung F5500

- Has 3D, but more limited calibration option compared to the F5300

- Just like the F5300, 60 inches one uses pentile.

Samsung H5000

- Currently holds the crown for best black performance for Samsung plasmas.

- ABL similiar to the F5300/F5500

- Uses pentile

- Only 64 inch one is being offered

So, if you think you can deal with pentile, it looks like the H5000 is a great buy! It's affordable too and I am actually contemplating on purchasing one too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for taking the time to spell that out good info, I am about to push buy on that but may wait a week or two for a few more reviews on the h5000.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2  /t/1523403/second-best-available-plasma-behind-8500#post_24505870

Thanks for taking the time to spell that out good info, I am about to push buy on that but may wait a week or two for a few more reviews on the h5000.

I forgot to mention the H5000 also has calibration options just as good as if not better than the F5300. (Closer to the F8500 perhaps) Can't wait before Mr. Chad reviews one. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahamm2  /t/1523403/second-best-available-plasma-behind-8500#post_24505900

Do you know when this or any other reviews are supposed to come out??

Other than the one from David Mackenzie, I have no idea. Cnet is usually late with their reviews and Chad B can only do reviews on products he calibrate, but he is usually the earliest. Reviewed.com (former televisioninfo.com ) also do reviews early, but not many people here consider them reputable. (I personally find their ABL chart very useful though. Not too many reviewers mention white falloff points for plasmas) Value Electronic's contest is also extremely useful since the contestants will be covered in great detail, and I heard the H5000 might participate. But of course, if they're actually waiting for that Vizio Reference to appear, then perhaps it cannot be held on May as usual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts