AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so now I am getting annoyed. First set was returned (50B550) and now the second set (58B550) is crapping out as I type this. I wrote a thread about how I was getting red snow in the corner of the screen, got home from work and now there is white snow filling up all over the screen. The set it obviously defective. I am not going to take another chance on Samsung. And lugging back and forth to Best Buy with a 58" set is no fun either.

Best Buy just dropped the price of the Panny 58S1 to $1499, same price as the Sammy. What should I do?

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18287949

Okay so now I am getting annoyed. First set was returned (50B550) and now the second set (58B550) is crapping out as I type this. I wrote a thread about how I was getting red snow in the corner of the screen, got home from work and now there is white snow filling up all over the screen. The set it obviously defective. I am not going to take another chance on Samsung. And lugging back and forth to Best Buy with a 58" set is no fun either.

Best Buy just dropped the price of the Panny 58S1 to $1499, same price as the Sammy. What should I do?

You can get a Panasonic if you want, but every single one of them has black levels that rise, IR levels also get worse as the blacks rise. There really isn't a safe choice with HDTVs these days, you kinda have to get lucky.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Panasonic scores much better than Samsung in defect rate, and 95% of the whining and carrying on about the "black level" problem is from people who don't own the sets.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/18299612

Panasonic scores much better than Samsung in defect rate, and 95% of the whining and carrying on about the "black level" problem is from people who don't own the sets.

+1, if you can score a 58 or larger set you probably wont even notice a level jump unless you measure. I have bunch of hours on my set, and even if its rising, to the eye I cant tell.. v10 is an excellent set and all functions work excellent. THX mode and 96hz are awesome for BD>

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I do agree the sets PQ is terrific but with problems popping out of the box I just question how long this set will last me after the one year warranty. I enjoy viewing a lot of HD material but I wouldn't say I am a real videophile or anything. My only other option is a Samsung 55" led LCD (UN b6000) which is priced the same as both the Panny and samung.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner /forum/post/18299658

+1, if you can score a 58 or larger set you probably wont even notice a level jump unless you measure. I have bunch of hours on my set, and even if its rising, to the eye I cant tell.. v10 is an excellent set and all functions work excellent. THX mode and 96hz are awesome for BD>

Yes the V10 58" and up is and excellent set so far....

everybody knows the 58" is not as affected... but give it time before you draw your conclusion.

so you made the right choice getting the 58 incher!

but for those 54" V10 and lower sizes....

the black level has been affected the most.

I WOULD NOT CALL THIS EXCELLENT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know for a fact Samsung has issues and judging from the posts on here Panny has their share too. I went with an LG today after my 3rd buzzing Samsung in a row. There's not alot of talk on here regarding LG, that's probably a good thing.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
True. It's even got me looking at the LH90 series. Which we all know is like blasphemy to plasma devotees. What has happened to plasma?

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18299916

The v10 is indeed out of my range. $1600 is the most I plan on spending.

Hmmmm, maybe a G20, G25 or an S2? BB will have em soon.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I'd give my opinion on what display to buy but I'd probably be put in a rear naked choke hold by someone. Everybody has their differing opinions. One extreme to the other. Just sift through the threads and try to get the most info you can and make your own decision. Best advice I can give you. Lots of reading to do. Good luck and I hope you get a display you like.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18299916

The v10 is indeed out of my range. $1600 is the most I plan on spending.

Try a PNB650, either the 50" or 58" or perhaps wait for the '10 models to come out.

I could never recommend an '09 Panasonic considering the greatly rising black levels, lack of gamma controls (which the X1, S1, G10 could probably benefit from significantly and the V10/Z1 only have in Custom mode), and no CMS. Aside from the THX models, the gamut is way off and red push is a problem on some sets. As for THX itself, it's a dim mode and the gamma is on the low side, with no means of raising it (even on a V10 or Z1). Some owners even have greenish grays and whites which require grayscale calibration to fix.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was looking for a new set originally because I had a quick buyer that wanted my old 42" LCD. The price range and image quality for the large screened Plasmas is what narrowed my choices.

I am really looking for something fairly large (54"-58") and with my price range it looks to be these 3 sets:

1. Panny P58S1

2. Samsung 58B550

3. Samsung LED LCD UN55B6000

If I could do this all over again I would have just held on to the LCD until the 2010's started rolling out and got enough feedback. I am just in a situation where I need to kinda get a TV and stick with it. As much as it pains me to not go plasma, I am feeling the LED might be the safest bet.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV /forum/post/18299766

Yes the V10 58" and up is and excellent set so far....

everybody knows the 58" is not as affected... but give it time before you draw your conclusion.

so you made the right choice getting the 58 incher!

but for those 54" V10 and lower sizes....

the black level has been affected the most.

I WOULD NOT CALL THIS EXCELLENT.

I have given it time. Over 1000s i have on this set. Watching this set in the dark is quite good if your not comparing to a KURO. I personally can not see a difference in this set watching it in the dark now and when I received it a couple months ago. I guess my rised happened, but not enough to complain about. I personally always have some sort of lighting set up, buts it very very minimal. If not my eyes start hurting. It def seems that the lower sets have a much more obivous rise to where you can see it. I would not recomened lower sets.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/18300063

I was looking for a new set originally because I had a quick buyer that wanted my old 42" LCD. The price range and image quality for the large screened Plasmas is what narrowed my choices.

I am really looking for something fairly large (54"-58") and with my price range it looks to be these 3 sets:

1. Panny P58S1

2. Samsung 58B550

3. Samsung LED LCD UN55B6000

If I could do this all over again I would have just held on to the LCD until the 2010's started rolling out and got enough feedback. I am just in a situation where I need to kinda get a TV and stick with it. As much as it pains me to not go plasma, I am feeling the LED might be the safest bet.

If viewing angle and motion resolution are not too critical to you, the LED-LCD might be good. Be sure to read about the Samsung (LCD) panel lottery, though, as not all LCD panels are created equal. General consensus is that S-panels have the best blacks and viewing angles (like the SQ02), A-panels can be average to very good, and C-panels look great only within a narrow sweet spot. Clouding/Flashlighting can occur in dark scenes on some S-Panels, so be aware of that as well.

The B550 is a good plasma PQ-wise but I can't say if you'll get another defective unit or not. The Panasonic is well-known for its PQ-issues at this point in time and so it's PQ cannot compare with the other sets, especially once the black levels rise beyond the levels of a mediocre LCD.

Nothing's perfect considering the LCD panel lottery, the problems with QC on the plasmas you tried, and the various PQ-shortcomings of the Panasonics. Just be aware of the pros and cons with each choice and good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I got a service request just to see if a tech can fix this TV in one visit. If he starts trying to order parts I am just going to say thanks but no thanks and return the set. He should be here in 20 minutes or so.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts