AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new wave of these sets? I own the ProScan version from last fall and am currently awaiting my replacement set. However, there is a post on Audio/Review.com in the product reviews that is disturbing if accurate. Apparently there have been some design changes and the writer believes that the picture quality is not as good. He speculates that the new lower price means cheaper parts. I don't know about this. If anyone out there has seen an article or can find out what changes have been made, I would love to hear about it. I might decide to live with the blanking out problem rather than sacrificing picture quality. Anyone know anything?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have seen the new RCA "38 in both Good Guys and Best Buy, $3800 and $3600 respectively. I went to the RCA website to verify the press release that quoted $2999 *in April*. The sales guys were unaware, one saying that $3K was only $200 over their price. We'll have to wait for April on pricing...

As to PQ, both stores were playing the same HD recording of some CBS programs, however, the BB setup had ghosts!? Didn't look good. The same program was playing on all sets, so maybe there is a problem with the signal distribution system. But ghosts on digital?

The picture was much better at the GG store. No ghosts, proper 'digital' look. Picture looked washed out, but turns out the black level was set high - much better when adjusted downward.

Overall the picture didn't look quite up to my Proscan "32/DTC-100 combo, but that might have been the recording. They had an outside antenna hooked up and were receiving OTA HD. I'll have to go back during prime time to check out an OTA HD broadcast. DirecTV dish was not hooked up. I expect the picture will be better than my 4x3 since they new set will use the full screen height for HD rather than letterbox on the 4x3.

Frank

·
Registered
235 Posts
Frank, Did you make sure that the signal was actually input via components.

The reason I asked is that sometimes Bestbuy will often have the signal playing via component and RF inputs. Meaning that if it were RF it could had been on channel 15 for example. They often do this in the Washington, D.C. stores.

This might very well explain, why one of the units had ghost.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wanthdtv:
...sometimes Bestbuy will often have the signal playing via component and RF inputs.
Wow! That's one way to demonstrate the full flexibility of the display. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (Although, did you really mean "composite" instead of "component"?)

·
Registered
801 Posts
On my way to Tahoe this weekend, I stopped by a Good Guys near Travis AFB to pick up a 12 V VHS/TV combo to keep the kids quiet (by the way, this IS the answer to making a trip with small kids, this TV, a y adapter, and 2 sets of cheap headphones are the equivalent to a mute control for kids!). Anyway, while there I noticed one of the RCA's playing the demo loop from DirecTV. I'm using a Vision One at home, so am used to good looking HDTV, this set was BEAUTIFUL. I was very impressed. I want one to go behind my screen for daytime viewing. It really was a very nice picture, I'm going back to look again.

BTW, the Circuit City was closer to the freeway, I purposely bypassed it and bought the set from the Good Guys. I'll never forget DIVX, the Good Guys is a great store, let's all throw them all the support we can.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smith:
BTW, the Circuit City was closer to the freeway, I purposely bypassed it and bought the set from the Good Guys. I'll never forget DIVX.
Heh, heh - neither will CC. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I suspect after losing their butts on that call, corporate management will think thrice before listening to another MPAA-inspired lawyer on a "great, sure-fire" scheme to continually bilk DVD owners. Now that CC's back's to the wall financially, I'm willing to give 'em another chance, but, I'll keep a wary eye on 'em in the process.

·
Banned
946 Posts
I saw the RCA 38 second generation HDTV today at a local Best Buy. I was so disappointed. First of all the set was probably dropped. The frame was shattered on the left side although it was still functioning. The PQ was washed out and looked like a poor NTSC picture. RCA should do something about the set up as it will certainly affect sales. The 40" Toshiba next to it looked good.

------------------

·
Banned
946 Posts
Additionally, the salesperson I spoke to did not know the difference between component and composite and what the connection was.

------------------

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bills2K,

The set I saw at Good Guys was looking a bit washed out too, but turns out the black level was set high. This is a common problem in store demo sets, along with excessively high color and contrast. When the black level was backed down to midrange and the contrast bumped up a bit, the picture had much more punch.

BTW, the black level control was actually labelled "Black Level" and not "Brightness". The world is slowly changing. ;-)

Frank

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I called Thompson Electronics about my replacement set today. They are saying I should have it in 2 weeks or so, if its not of the same quality I'm going to be pissed.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What's up with this quote from the Audioreview.com review:

"I almost forgot.... if you bought a custom stand you know how good the old tv looked on it. It had an absolutely precise feel to it as all the lines matched up perfectly. Well, no more. The new TV has flat speakers and so all the lines are off. And no, there is no new stand to be had. You're simply out of luck."

I have one of these stands that I was gonna sell to someone with a F38310!?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Saw the set at best buy last week and it look really big. Was very disappointed in the picture quality. It does not have the vivid colors nor 3-d look of the Toshiba. I could clearly see the shadowmask from a couple of feet away.

It also looked a little washed out.

It appeared to be a 480p signal, but it was a CBS loop that was playing.

I believe there was only one HD input.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I first called BB and they gave me the number to call and it's 1-877-443-4388 have your Serial No ready.

Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
Chris, post the phone number so I can call again, thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.