AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I added a second 500gig SATA WD HD to my HTPC. I'm having trouble getting both drives to be recognized. The bios only recognizes the first. The first time I had both plugged in, only the first drive would be recognized. Then I unplugged the original drive leaving the new drive in and was able to install Opensuse 11.2 and get the ext4 goodness (the whole reason for the second drive). Now I can boot from the new drive but it can't see the old drive (even though the bios still only lists the old drive). Opensuse's partitioner shows the new drive only. I've switched where the SATA cables plug into on the MB (the first numbered port on the MB gets boot preference right?).

I had to take the whole MB out to fit this second drive in my case. Is it possible I forgot to plug something back in? I also only have two SATA power cables from the power supply (no adapters) so one of the HDs (original one) is using an IDE (8pin) power connector (as it has since I originally put the pc together). Could that be a problem? I have a 500 watt power supply (came with the case) and only 2 HDs, DVD drive, two fans, graphics card, and tuner card plugged in. Any ideas on what I could try? I'm about to try trying without the DVD drive.

Specs:

Opensuse 11.1/11.2

MA770T-UD3P mobo (upgraded bios sometime last year)

APIVA X-MASTER-BK/500 case

ASUS EN8400GS SILENT card

2 WD 500gig HDs (one's a green edition)

·
Registered
568 Posts
well since you think it's a power issue, put your hand on each drive and feel for vibration/rotation. If one is vibrating and the other isn't, power off the computer and swap the power connectors to each. If the drives working now reverse you know you either have a bad sata adapter or bad power cable/connector.

If they are both powered up, I'd then download and update my motherboard bios to the newest version out just to make sure it's not my bios acting funky.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Make sure the BIOS SATA setting is set to AHCI, if it's set to IDE it could be that it conflicts with the real IDE drives.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Make sure the master/slave jumpers are set correctly if those are used for SATA drives (I'm not sure).

Switch the power connectors and see if the drive that's recognized switches. IDE power should be 4 pin, not 8 though?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'll figure this out sooner or later. Looking forward to finally trying out mythtv .22.

blackoper: tried the best I could to feel for vibrations but neither drive is really easily accessible with just the case open. If I get desperate maybe I'll strip the PC down again. I'll try a newer BIOS later tonight (release notes didn't show any major changes though).

tux99: the SATA setting was set to IDE, changed it to AHCI as well as changing SATA connectors 4 and 5 to treat as SATA, but no change. Both HDs are SATA and so is the DVD drive.

colonpowell: from examining the drives/googling I think master/slave pins are gone from SATA (this build is my first experience with SATA). I'll try fooling with the power cables some more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Success! I was able to get both HDs recognized now by using the SATA power cables and leaving the DVD drive disconnected for now. I swear I had my original HD powered by the IDE connector but maybe I imagined that. Should that work?

Time to transfer the old data (and xorg.conf) off, format old drive to ext4 and reinstall all my software. Anything I should know about mythtv .22 before I dive in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts