AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my second HTPC build in one month. First one was huge success and second build goes to parents. They will be doing primarily online streaming so I'm trying to build cheap as possible. I'm looking at Apex MI-008 Tower case and it looks perfect price wise but some reviews point that standard 1155 CPU fan does not fit under PSU. At the same time assassin in his guides has a picture where fan barely but fits.


Does it depend on motherboard or fan definetelly fits? If I decide to go with ITX I'll probably order this one . Does anybody know for sure if fan is going to fit under PSU with this motherboard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkirienko  /t/1421059/second-htpc-build-cheap-one-case-question#post_22234567


I'm doing my second HTPC build in one month. First one was huge success and second build goes to parents. They will be doing primarily online streaming so I'm trying to build cheap as possible. I'm looking at Apex MI-008 Tower case and it looks perfect price wise but some reviews point that standard 1155 CPU fan does not fit under PSU. At the same time assassin in his guides has a picture where fan barely but fits.

Does it depend on motherboard or fan definetelly fits? If I decide to go with ITX I'll probably order this one . Does anybody know for sure if fan is going to fit under PSU with this motherboard?



If it worked for Asassin , it will work for you . He does not say the fan is very close . What he say's is that the psu will slightly touch the standard fan( 60 mm height) and cannot "fully recommend" this approach . However , if you get the Intel low profile fan( 38mm height) you should be fine . The motherboard stand offs determine the height of the board in the case and depending on how high the rear connections cut out is in the case will determine which height standoff screws u will use as the case will come with the correct ones . You should be fine . It is the fan that determines the height . Watch what ram you use as tall heat spreaders will not work .


OOOHHH ! Foxconn for the MB ... really ? Where in the guides is this a recommendation ? There are much better mini itx Intel boards as I have never used Foxconn but have also never heard anything good either . I got the fact that u want cheap as u can but I suggest picking another area to be cheap in ... not the MB .


Just my $ .02


BTW ... there is a rumor that there may be a build that would fit you in the next few weeks if you can hold out a bit



Look at post # 13657

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1302559/assassins-simple-beginner-htpc-buying-guide/13650
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low profile fan or any other than stock fan defeats cheap idea. I would rather then get micro-ATX case for $30 more and be done with it. It will also open more possibilities with motherboard.


If not a Foxcon then we already jumping to $90 territory for ITX ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkirienko  /t/1421059/second-htpc-build-cheap-one-case-question#post_22235128


Low profile fan or any other than stock fan defeats cheap idea. I would rather then get micro-ATX case for $30 more and be done with it. It will also open more possibilities with motherboard.

If not a Foxcon then we already jumping to $90 territory for ITX ...

The low profile Intel fan is not expensive by any means .


You are correct . Heading into an Intel board would be in that dollar range . I am sure there are other boards that are cheaper than Intel but better than Foxcon . It was just a suggestion .


Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$20 here, $15 there, etc. and we are looking for 25% of the total biuld.



As for MB I'm really open for suggestion. Next chepeast on on NewEgg $85 Biostar MB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkirienko  /t/1421059/second-htpc-build-cheap-one-case-question#post_22234567


I'm doing my second HTPC build in one month. First one was huge success and second build goes to parents. They will be doing primarily online streaming so I'm trying to build cheap as possible. I'm looking at Apex MI-008 Tower case and it looks perfect price wise but some reviews point that standard 1155 CPU fan does not fit under PSU. At the same time assassin in his guides has a picture where fan barely but fits.

Does it depend on motherboard or fan definetelly fits? If I decide to go with ITX I'll probably order this one . Does anybody know for sure if fan is going to fit under PSU with this motherboard?

I got my parents the Foxcon barebones with Atom Dual core for $75 shipped (I think it was shell shocker). Added RAM, HDD and ODD, and they LOVE it!


Just keep an eye on those "bookshelf" PC's that drop under $100 here and there.


Edit: I have used the same Apex MI-008 tower and STOCK AMD fan for Athlon X2 fits under the PSU.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top