AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I think I got the best solution for my setup.

Since my HTPC will be connected to my 60" LCD and that I don't want to fire this beast just to checkup on the news or to monitor what I'm presently recording, I needed a second monitor. What I ended up buying is a VisionQuest Renoir 19" 720p LCD TV.

Hell, the thing cost less than a cheap Acer LCD monitor, has a PC resolution of 1440x900, accept connection from composite, s-video, component, hdmi and vga, has stereo speaker so no need to fire up the AVR either and all this for less than $150Cdn...

Now I'll be able to chose my music, listen to the news and program my DVR without starting the whole shabang of my setup.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I also use a 2 monitor setup in my Theater room...

My primary display is 106" Pulldown but often times when Im doing something miniscule with my HTPC like playing some music or like you said, checking weather... I dont want to have to add age to my Projector lamp.

I ended up installing a 20" Dell FP2001 LCD Monitor on a wall @ the back of my room. It's one of the best things I've done with my Theater... and since the monitor is flush mounted to the wall just above my seating position, it looks really sick too.

I think anyone who has a dedicated HTPC attached to their PJ should consider adding a secondary monitor.

Good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are there any special configurations either of you had to do to get this setup to run smoothly? Are both displays set to run at the same resolution? Also one last question; are you able to use the computer while using the media center and still have control over the HTPC with the remote. As in have the remote keep focus on the media center app and not lose focus if you are say surfing the web on the second display?

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/18253012

I think anyone who has a dedicated HTPC attached to their PJ should consider adding a secondary monitor.

I'm looking into this, since I replaced my old TV with a PJ, and have just added an HTPC. The wonders of WMC are eating up the lamp hours!

Would it be better/easier/cheaper to split the hdmi out of the AVR, or run dual display out of the HTPC (H55 iGPU, no vc)? I don't mind if the 2nd display is HTPC-only but having the other sources would be nice. I'm thinking 24" monitor or 32-37" TV.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beankid /forum/post/18253077

Are there any special configurations either of you had to do to get this setup to run smoothly? Are both displays set to run at the same resolution? Also one last question; are you able to use the computer while using the media center and still have control over the HTPC with the remote. As in have the remote keep focus on the media center app and not lose focus if you are say surfing the web on the second display?

1- Nope, just activate the second monitor in the video card driver application

2- Nope, most modern card let you run 2 monitor at different resolution.

3- I never tried that since I use the second one when I don't want to fire up the big TV.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechbeav /forum/post/18253141

I'm looking into this, since I replaced my old TV with a PJ, and have just added an HTPC. The wonders of WMC are eating up the lamp hours!

Would it be better/easier/cheaper to split the hdmi out of the AVR, or run dual display out of the HTPC (H55 iGPU, no vc)? I don't mind if the 2nd display is HTPC-only but having the other sources would be nice. I'm thinking 24" monitor or 32-37" TV.

Why use a splitter when most system/video card sold these days have 2 output, either 2x DVI or 2x VGA or a mix of that and even an HDMI port in extra on some.

In my case I have:

Video card -> HDMI -> Receiver -> 60" TV

Video card -> DVI -> VisionQuest 19" LCD TV/Monitor

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is a good idea. I'm purchasing a projector soon but not sure where to mount a second monitor. Do you have any pictures of your setup? It'd be pretty cool to mount a small monitor in wall or something esp if it's touchscreen.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechbeav /forum/post/18253141

I think having both is the best option.

If your second monitor has dual input(like hdmi + dvi or even vga), try the following.

1. receiver -> monitor via hdmi (if your receiver doesn't have enough hdmi outs, then via splitter)

2. HTPC -> monitor via dvi

Then you can switch on the monitor so that you use it as either a dual monitor setup of HTPC or a new small display of your all video sources connected to your receiver.

I'm also thinking this way, but since my second monitor will be far way from my HTPC and receiver, that would require me to buy two long cables.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armian98 /forum/post/18255978

I think having both is the best option.

If your second monitor has dual input(like hdmi + dvi or even vga), try the following.

1. receiver -> monitor via hdmi (if your receiver doesn't have enough hdmi outs, then via splitter)

2. HTPC -> monitor via dvi

Then you can switch on the monitor so that you use it as either a dual monitor setup of HTPC or a new small display of your all video sources connected to your receiver.

I'm also thinking this way, but since my second monitor will be far way from my HTPC and receiver, that would require me to buy two long cables.

You could use HDMI t monitor 1 and DVI to monitor 2.

Then switch it from clone to extended desktop and have both. The only thing with having an extended desktop is you can't have it out of site from the other monitor as only one machine will have the start menu and be the main monitor. You have to drag or shift+Right to move the program to the other screen.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18256146

You could use HDMI t monitor 1 and DVI to monitor 2.

Then switch it from clone to extended desktop and have both. The only thing with having an extended desktop is you can't have it out of site from the other monitor as only one machine will have the start menu and be the main monitor. You have to drag or shift+Right to move the program to the other screen.

BE CAREFUL...

Some video card, like the NVidia 8200 have the HDMI and DVI linked. You can't use both at the same time. You can do HDMI & VGA or DVI & VGA but not HDMI & DVI.

Newer card like the ATI 5xxx series doesn't suffer from this limitation I believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts