AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I already have a 5xxx ReplayTV unit and add a second 5xxx (that is registered with service fee paid) can the second one act as a "thin client" that I can record shows onto WITHOUT that client being hooked up to my cable signal? Or when I tell unit #1 to record a show on unit #2 does it actually just schedule the recoding on unit #2 and thus unit #2 needs a cable connection?

Was that clear at all?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Not really.

I don't think you will be able to do what you want to do. If you schedule a show to record on another unit. That unit needs a video source to record from.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
The second unit must have a cable connection.

The 'thin client' nomenclature is not correct in this case. Such a device was never intended to have recroding capability. Merely decode the stream from a 'server' and presumably access it;s quide for adding stuff to record.

·
Registered
582 Posts
To record the recording unit needs an original (external) feed - Cable, Sat or OTA. After one unit records an episode/movie, you can stream that recording to the other (this doesn't "Move" the show) to view it or you can Move it to another unit using DVArchive.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'll have to get another cable box.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You won't need a cable box unless you want channels that only the cable box can get. You can just split the coax before it goes into a box and you'll get all the cable-ready channels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.