AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little Background:

My VTF3 MK3 by HSU has serious problems at 45hz+ but kicks butt below that so I got a MBM-12 from HSU for just $375 shipped... kinda regret it because now I have one amazing sub (to me the two are one because they cover the band below 80) but really want another sub to cancel out some of the frequencies of my NASTY room acoustics.

Some options I have in mind:

1. SVS 16-46pci (used)

2. Dayton T1203K 12" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit

3. Some other DIY kit it anyone has ideas

4. Anything else you think... Open to DIY, Used or new

80% HT 20% music but not critical listening music...

Want to place this sub (or 2 if they are cheap and small enough) next to my center channel right behind my fronts.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Ideally, if you want to run another sub, the two should be identical. I'd consider that option first.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Since you like the extra kick of a sub with a good mid bass, I would consider the PA 120. Good from 25Hz on up. Brand new ~$240.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

There is some material in this section of the Forum form people who have purchased the PA 120.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/15435029

Since you like the extra kick of a sub with a good mid bass, I would consider the PA 120. Good from 25Hz on up. Brand new ~$240.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

There is some material in this section of the Forum form people who have purchased the PA 120.

Seems like a decent sub.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15435109

Hmm for that cheap I could get 2...

Can't fit another VTF3 Mk3, but you can fit two of those???

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironmike... I can't get another VTF3. The money and space just is not there. Room treatments DO need to be done thats for SURE this room is HORRIBLE. But right now I have major upgrade fevor and want to get all my electronics in place then worry about treatment.

The idea is to spend 500-600 most likely on DIY or used so that it can match my HSU pair and help provide a true 2 sub setup.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Smoothing your in room resonse will be a function of placement as well as performance. Predetermining placement without experimenting probobly won't solve your problem and may even increase it. Whatever sub you choose, experiment with all three in different spots until it sounds right to you. You don't have to match anything to your current subs. Another Hsu in your price range will probobly get the job done if you take the time to find the right placement which may involve moving all three. Without measuring equipment it'll probobly take some time to get it right but well worth the results.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You have upgrade fever. Do you have any eq equipment? That will at least tell the best spots for your subwoofers. Unless you have already tried them in all the possible spots you don't know if moving them will increase performace alot more? But if you are limited to where you can put your stuff another sub will make it louder but you will still have the same null

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly... i dont know how to do the whole EQ thing... I am trying to learn but it is all so confusing. All i know is my room is set up very poorly for audio and it's the only space I have...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.