AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh Wise Ones,

My room dimensions are 14X28.

I run a 5.1 system using B&W's 800 series and a SVS PB ultra 13 subwoofer. I have pruchased the new Onkyo PRSC5508 pre/pro and it allows for two subs.

I am expanding my room to 7.2. I don't really want to go with another SVS PB Ultra. Too massive.

I am thinking about putting the Ultra in the back and getting a smaller sub for the front. That way my screen can be bigger as well! WHat would be a good match for the SVS Ultra? Should I get a ten or 12 inch sub from SVS?

What would you recommend for my new sub?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you want somthing really small you could consider the JL Fathom F113 which will keep up with the ultra in upper bass frequencies but fall behind in the lower octaves. This of course would cost more (new) than any of the ID offerings

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wonder how much of a difference this will make for me? The SVS PB Ultra 13 seems so powerful in my room. I feel like I need another sub with ym room size but not sure if I will hear or feel much a difference?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Adding a sub with less output will not add output, but could help smooth frequency response by filling in some of the gaps if subs seperated. If you move your current sub behind you more nearfield and put a smaller sub up front, you may find it doesn't help much and if level matched will hold your current sub back. Using subs of similar design and output makes for an easier integration.

I lay my HSU 15H's on their side to fit under screen, looks like it would take off a couple inch's if 13u on side at 20.5" wide and get another. I also like the idea of the pc13u up front to the side of the screen or laying down under with the pb in the back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/20799686

Adding a sub with less output will not add output, but could help smooth frequency response by filling in some of the gaps if subs seperated. If you move your current sub behind you more nearfield and put a smaller sub up front, you may find it doesn't help much and if level matched will hold your current sub back. Using subs of similar design and output makes for an easier integration.

I lay my HSU 15H's on their side to fit under screen, looks like it would take off a couple inch's if 13u on side at 20.5" wide and get another. I also like the idea of the pc13u up front to the side of the screen or laying down under with the pb in the back.

I like that idea too of the pc13u. Would you put it up front in corner or between the front and center speaker and the pbultra in the back behind the seating?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes /forum/post/20799710

I like that idea too of the pc13u. Would you put it up front in corner or between the front and center speaker and the pbultra in the back behind the seating?

If you have some measurement gear it makes it much easier to place and see what the different positions are doing in the seats. As a guess I would try the one up front corner loaded for output, and experiment with sub behind you in several places for frequency response smoothing.

Many informative threads on multiple subwoofers here. Audioholics has some informative articles as well.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts