AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time to replace my aging Samsung HLN5065W DLP television. Today, I ordered from ABT a Panasonic TC-P50V10 and a Panasonic DMPBD80 to replace my PS3 from all the BD watching. I got a great deal for both items. Add to that fact that Panasonic is offering a $200 rebate on bundled products made my purchase even more attractive.


Anyway, as habit goes I started looking around at other televisions just for the heck of it, and came across the Samsung PN50B650; also at a great price. For what it's worth, the reviews on both sets are good.


I have not had the chance to view any of these sets in person, and even if I did, the settings used in stores usually don't do the TV's justice as I usually go through a meticulous calibration process at home. But what do you think, did I make the right decision??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
Yes. Quite honestly, coming from a DLP, you'd be ecstatic with either unit. The combo price on what you pulled the trigger on will most likely make you very happy for a long time. So, stop looking around, wait for your delivery, set them up, and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk /forum/post/16990022


Yes. Quite honestly, coming from a DLP, you'd be ecstatic with either unit. The combo price on what you pulled the trigger on will most likely make you very happy for a long time. So, stop looking around, wait for your delivery, set them up, and enjoy.


+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 /forum/post/16990010


It was time to replace my aging Samsung HLN5065W DLP television. Today, I ordered from ABT a Panasonic TC-P50V10 and a Panasonic DMPBD80 to replace my PS3 from all the BD watching. I got a great deal for both items. Add to that fact that Panasonic is offering a $200 rebate on bundled products made my purchase even more attractive.


Anyway, as habit goes I started looking around at other televisions just for the heck of it, and came across the Samsung PN50B650; also at a great price. For what it's worth, the reviews on both sets are good.


I have not had the chance to view any of these sets in person, and even if I did, the settings used in stores usually don't do the TV's justice as I usually go through a meticulous calibration process at home. But what do you think, did I make the right decision??

Though I think the Sammy is a better TV, the Panny is a fine set as well so don't look back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
It's coming down to the v10 or g10 for me and I can say that you will be very happy with it. I know I'll be happy with either choice. The good thing is that while a lot of the folks who are hardcore will argue about really fine details, a lot of these units are still very good TVs for good prices, so even with slight issues it's worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I'm considering those same 2 sets, Samsung 50B650, or the Panny 50V10.


I've read the forum on both sets, and now Im having a difficult time deciding.


The Samsungs seem to suffer from a buzzing noise that has been loud enough for many to send them back or choose another brand.


The Panasonic sometimes exhibits a greenish yellow cast, which is even mentioned in the CNET video review by Katzmier. This happens in THX mode, so to avoid this you need to do Custom settings which I probably would do, never the less, the set should not have yellowish or greenish cast to the picture in any modes in my opinion.


Also the Samsung has more picture adjustments, than the Panasonic does, and it also has a USB port, the Panasonic does not.


So, it comes down to what features are important to me, and I really like both Samsung, and Panasonic pictures that I have seen, I would say that side by side for me to see much difference other than the Samsung seems to have more natural flesh tones, the Panasonics seem a little pink looking but Im sure the adjustments can tone that to a more natural look.


I dont use charts or meters to tell me how the picture or colors are, I depend on my eyes, after all thats how we watch tv. I adjust my picture to what looks pleasing to me, not by what a chart or meter tells me is the best setting. I buy what I feel will make me happy, and hope that I make the right decision, which is why I'm here reading the reviews of those who own both brands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
The panasonic is considerd best reliablity and most resistant towards TIR. I think most will say the pansonic is more solid reliable and the samsung after being calibrated will look best.(pro calibration)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 /forum/post/16990010


I have not had the chance to view any of these sets in person, and even if I did, the settings used in stores usually don't do the TV's justice as I usually go through a meticulous calibration process at home. But what do you think, did I make the right decision??

What I try to do is put the settings in the middle and compare them. It's not optimal, but it can give you an idea of what's crap. It will be as close as you can get to view the panels without distortions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Well, I've never seen or touched either TV, actually, but I'm always down to opine, so [advice].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 /forum/post/16991858


The Panasonic sometimes exhibits a greenish yellow cast, which is even mentioned in the CNET video review by Katzmier. This happens in THX mode, so to avoid this you need to do Custom settings which I probably would do, never the less, the set should not have yellowish or greenish cast to the picture in any modes in my opinion.

.


I'm a little worried about the green cast as well, but I guess I'll find out for sure whether or not it'll be a problem once I receive my set. For what it's worth, my Samsung DLP also had a green push to skin tones and blonde hair out of the box. I calibrated it, and all was better. I've never actually used a television where I was satisfied with the stock or pre-programmed picture settings. Every television in my house is in custom mode with my own tweaks. With that said, I guess it wouldn't be too bad if the Panny's THX mode had a green push, as long as it can be worked out in the custom mode.


BTW, I've never used an electronic calibrator for my TV's either. I've always based my settings by eye. The only time I've used a calibrator was for my PC LCD screens which I need to have accurate due to my photography work. That however is a different story all together...


73 de James K2QI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/16991925


The panasonic is considerd best reliablity and most resistant towards TIR. I think most will say the pansonic is more solid reliable and the samsung after being calibrated will look best.(pro calibration)

Build quality and resistance to IR were two big reasons I went with the Panasonic over the Samsung.


When I bought my DLP, I paid almost 3500 dollars for it back in 2003. About six months of ownership, little QC issues started popping up; i.e. weak button switches that would break and dying analog input boards. That set has been in and out of service about 4 times already for various things. I've also replaced the lamps several times; the Sammy DLP bulbs do not like a high contrast ratio; it severely reduces lamp life-span.


Just recently, a DLP mirror got stuck, so I have a nice white dot in the middle of my screen now. That can't be fixed unless I replace the entire DMD board, which isn't a cost-effective solution given the drop in TV pricing. That was the break in the camel's back that forced me to get a new TV.


I like Samsung's internet gizmo's better than Panasonic's Viera Cast or whatever they call it. The Netflix streaming is awesome, but I already have a 360 and a Roku player that's capable of that, so I guess not too big of a loss.


I was also a bit troubled by the reports of buzzing, but after reading some of the posts, I think a few people are being a bit too "a-retentive" but what do I know...


73 de James K2QI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas440 /forum/post/16991858


I'm considering those same 2 sets, Samsung 50B650, or the Panny 50V10.


I've read the forum on both sets, and now Im having a difficult time deciding.


The Samsungs seem to suffer from a buzzing noise that has been loud enough for many to send them back or choose another brand.


The Panasonic sometimes exhibits a greenish yellow cast, which is even mentioned in the CNET video review by Katzmier. This happens in THX mode, so to avoid this you need to do Custom settings which I probably would do, never the less, the set should not have yellowish or greenish cast to the picture in any modes in my opinion.


Also the Samsung has more picture adjustments, than the Panasonic does, and it also has a USB port, the Panasonic does not.


So, it comes down to what features are important to me, and I really like both Samsung, and Panasonic pictures that I have seen, I would say that side by side for me to see much difference other than the Samsung seems to have more natural flesh tones, the Panasonics seem a little pink looking but Im sure the adjustments can tone that to a more natural look.


I dont use charts or meters to tell me how the picture or colors are, I depend on my eyes, after all thats how we watch tv. I adjust my picture to what looks pleasing to me, not by what a chart or meter tells me is the best setting. I buy what I feel will make me happy, and hope that I make the right decision, which is why I'm here reading the reviews of those who own both brands.

Welcome to my world



At my BB, they have the 860 and the V10 right next to each other. At first, I gave the thumbs up to the 860 in terms of color and picture (i was watching a tennis match on espn hd direct tv). I don't settings all that well, but after playing with the panny in custom mode, i actually was leaning toward the panny. I put my head behind both, the 860 was very loud, and the panny was silent. THX mode on the panny, yeah i didn't even play around with that, it was too dim and weird that I just played around in custom mode.


FYI, i'm still undecided
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top