AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had a 4508 for about 4 1/2 months now. works great. but, this is the second time it hasnt changed channels properly to record 24.

both times i was watching TV about 15 minutes before the scheduled record before i turned off the unit and went to do something else.

today, when i went to watch the episode, it recorded an hour of AMC...the channel i left it on when i turned off the replay unit.

is this just a case of the IRblaster not properly changing the channels on my cable box? or am i doing something wrong? anyone else?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Well, is the recording labeled "24" from channel "Fox" (whatever channel fox is) ? If so, then yes, it's just a case of the IR Blaster not working. Check it - still attached well? Still in the right place? Are you using an IR fort around it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
hehe i tried that .. no matter what i do ... it allways tried to record off the cable ( line 1 ) and never the internal tuner ( cat/ant ) ... i know i'm just missing somthing dumb ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think there is a bug in the new 4.5 code for at the 5040 in the IR blaster code. I just picked up 2 new 5040's and they both seem to experience this problem. Both will miss digits or the first about 40% of the time no matter what I tweak the IR settings to. I noticed the same problem on both. What follows is part of an email I sent to Todd Larson about these isses.

On unit '1' I first hooked it up and let it download the 4.5 code. I played for 2 days or so and found that it would lockup on the 'net connect' if I forced it. So I went and got another one to compare.

I hooked up #2 and let it download 4.5 as well. I then started to play and noticed that it was way more sluggish than #1. Hmmm, I bought up the CPU monitor on #1 during live play and it usually showed 20%-38%. Okay I did the same on #2 and it consistently shows 60%-80% during live play.

Play time-

I perfomed a facory reset on both. They both appeared not to re-download the 4.5 code just the guides and re-setup. Upon completion both units now show 60%-80% during live play. Any ideas here? I tried to do the refresh partition deal but it tells me that it does not need to perform a refresh partition. Is there anyway to accomplish this via a zone or somthing that you know of so that I can force a re-download of the 4.5 code other than doing a re-format and image apply with RTVpatch?

Next is the goofy IR blaster. I'm using the 5040 to control a panny tu-hds20. It's been quite flaky changing channels to record while I'm watching a recorded program. If I'm not watching a recorded program and try to change channels it works great. (CPU stress issues??). I tried to tweak the IR in the setup menu and have a suspision. If I try to use any of the msec delays greater than lets say 500 the IR blaster will work for a few channel changes then it sends bad IR codes until I hard boot the replay. I noticed the bad codes with a varition of the shipped IR blaster. It is one that has an visible LED inside. So when the usec tweak codes are set below 500msec I watch the LED and can see the blinks and the channels change fine. Once I set the tweaks greater than 500msec the problem occurs after a few (sometimes 12 or so) channel changes. At this point I cant even change to any channels. The 5040 accepts the change but the channel never moves from the current. After observing this behavior I watched the blaster once the problem occurs and I visusally see a very different sequence. Example:

500msec - channel change (breaks after a while)

100msec-(on)-10msec-(on)-10msec-(on)-10msec-(on)-10msec-(on)-1msec-(on)-1msec-(on)-1msec-(on)-1msec-(on)

I haven't had the delays set below 500msec long enough to confirm this to be the case but so far I can re-create this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.