AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a sectional couch that would function well for HT? I'm leaning away from individual seats/recliners at the moment, and would prefer a sectional with multiple recliners.

Any favorites?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Since you can sit on it, it is approriate. :) I plan on having a sectional in my HT area, but not with any recliners however. I currently use ottomans to place my feet on. Very Comfy!!! In fact, I currently use this sectional in my family room HT, but I will be moving it downstairs when my basement bijou is complete. I am not going for the dedicated HT movie seat type look, but more of a media room. My ceiling are only 7 ft high down there, so a 2nd row on a riser is not really an option.

My sectional is a Ethan Allan because that is what my wife wanted. The only thing I cared about was having enough room and access to the guts/frame of the couch in which to install my base shakers.

HTH

- Hal

·
Registered
114 Posts
My home theater is much smaller then most of the others I have seen posted here.. (only about 11 feet deep)..

I looked at all of the specialized home theater chairs, and other recliners.. they just seemed to not be what I wanted.. But a sectional was perfect because I could customize it.

I am getting a "Natuzzi" sectional. A left chaise, center "armless" love seat, and a right chaise. All together that will be approx 10-11 feet wide.. perfect for laying down.. or having a couple people relaxing watching a movie.. of even having a group of people sitting around the center area..

(well at least thats the plan... in 4 months when it shows up I'll take a picture and see if it works out as well as expected..) :)

--Mark

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I should think it boils down to what is comfortable for you. That's going to differ by age, size, sitting habits, etc. For me, the back of a sectional, in most cases, would not be high enough. It's one thing to sit on one for a little while, but something else when it comes to sitting through a 2 plus hour movie.

Another thing that proved important for me in a front projection situation was head support. Not all recliners are the same, and we discovered we had to choose one that offered head comfort during a long movie.

Deane

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
We have a sectional setup in our current basement and I am planning to incorporate the sectional into my new basement. I am thinking about breaking it up into 2 separate couches, and placing the 2nd on a riser. The problem with it right now is that it is ends kinda blocking the Left Front Speaker unless you are in my seat (sweet spot). Here is a pic of our current layout... http://home.earthlink.net/~patrickwe...20basement.jpg

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking of a sectional for the lower up front seating area, and a matching sofa for the second row on a riser.

Currently I have a pair of really, really comfortable recliners. When looking at several of the dedicated theater seats, they didn't look like they had the back height and head support I would want (as Deane pointed out) for a long movie.

Deane... funny you mentioned that about sectionals, because I was thinking that one of the design goals of "theater" seats was a fairly low back to avoid blocking surround sound information. Hmm..

I suppose those are conflicting goals, huh? Head support, and not blocking surround channels. Even after taking great pains and money to get the sound "right" I suspect that comfort will win out in my case.

My HT will not be just a theater screening room, but the primary lounge/entertainment/multimedia/TV room in the house. Comfort is key.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Deane... funny you mentioned that about sectionals, because I was thinking that one of the design goals of "theater" seats was a fairly low back to avoid blocking surround sound information. Hmm.. [/b]
I hadn't given this sound blocking issue much thought, but it makes a pair of speakers for each row look rather interesting.

Deane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.