AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the device one is to use to secure a guy wire to a shingle roof? Is it to simply take a wood-screw styled eye-bolt and screw it into a rafter?

Is that going to be enough to withstand time, weather, and tension?

Bonus question:

Is it sufficient to create the loop of the guy wire by simply wrapping around itself 6+ times. It feels like that could come undone over time. Or is it preferred to use guy wire clamps at all connection points? If clamps are needed at all connection points, that's a lot of clamps - 12 per guy wire run, 26 overall...

Thanks

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I don't want to advise you to screw eye hooks through shingles even though I've done it many years ago.

If you're talking about a push-up mast you don't need clamps on each guy wire. They won't come untwisted. They do tend to loosen over time and you need to tighten and re-wrap them. If you're talking about a guyed tower then that's another story.

·
Registered
18,863 Posts
FWIW, I use three sets of guy wires for my antenna. When the antenna was first installed we had a shingle room so two sets of wires were screwed into the rafters thru the shingles with the wood screw eyebolts and the third set was screwed into the apex beam of the roof. When we changed the roof to a metal room, the installer just drilled a hole in the metal shingle and reattached the guy wires to the eyebolts in the rafters. The antenna is about 12' above the roofline. We've never had weather (wind) related issues with it, ever, and we're talking almost 30 years. The guy wires are connected with clamps.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Denny's article briefly mentioned sealing with Roofing Tar (or RTV Gun)....but it is important to seal the Guy Wire Screw at the TAR PAPER, cuz moisture gets UNDER Shingles and can run down underneath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts