AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have auditorium-style seats that must be screwed or bolted to the floor (concrete for first row, riser plywood for second row). Is this typically done BEFORE or AFTER carpet is laid? I had assumed you do this before carpet goes down, but then it seems like it would be difficult to wrap the carpet around the seat base.

For those of you who have installed these types of seats, what else do I need to consider? How exactly did you secure the seats - screws, bolts, anchors? I'm especially concerned about securing the first row to the concrete.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am in the same boat. My understanding is that the seats should go down after the carpet. I think that will look better and make it easier to install the carpet. I can't imagine trying to install carpet around the seats when mine will butt up to the next level of the riser.

I will have three rows. Two will go on the riser. The specification for the seats said to have at least an inch and a half of wood to bolt into. I will have two inches on the riser. The bottom row would normally sit on concrete, but I too had uneasy feelings about this so I simpy put down a 2-inch wood subfloor that they will bolt into. By the time I did a riser and stage, the concrete that needed to be covered with the subfloor was very small.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
After carpet...definately easier on all involved.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Put them in after the carpet. I only have an inch of plywood on our riser and ours stay fine. I used 1 1/2 inch lag screws.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
After after after! Otherwise your carpet installers will have to make a million cuts into the carpet to make it fit around the legs and then use that melting carpet tape to stick it back together (if you have underpad), or they'll have to simply glue it all down (if you don't have underpad). Both ways is a lot of work and you may see still see the cuts in many areas - especially if the carpet has a small pattern.

Kal

·
Registered
908 Posts
I believe this is a first! All replies are in agreement. After! I mounted my first row in concrete, and the second two rows in 2" plywood, all of course through carpet. Finished and construction photos HERE .

Good luck!

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.