AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During installation, component positioning and the like my thick HDMI cables disconnect. After exerting far too much frustrating effort while moving several components today I've finally decided to find a solution. To my knowledge universal HDMI cable locks should do the job. To that end I would greatly appreciate recommendations for highly effective universal HDMI cable locking devices. Other advise in this regard is also welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
How long are your HDMI runs? You only need thicker gauge cables if you runs are longer than the 25' certifiable distance, generally speaking. You can always use an active cable like Redmere which can go a lot longer than 25' and use a very thin gauge cable which is flexible and puts no strain on the inputs.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very short. Three feet and less. The thick ones are Monprice's 24 gauge high speed. I use a ultra slim Redmere upstairs.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 3' you can use any certified high speed HDMI cable from a reputable mfr. Cables from Ebay is questionable.
Help me better understand what you are saying. Your response implies the Redmere Ultra Slim Active High Speed HDMI Cable (purchased from Monoprice) provides equal performance as my Monoprice 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI® Cable. If such is true then why aren't all non-long length HDMI cables ultra slim?

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
Help me better understand what you are saying. Your response implies the Redmere Ultra Slim Active High Speed HDMI Cable (purchased from Monoprice) provides equal performance as my Monoprice 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI® Cable. If such is true then why aren't all non-long length HDMI cables ultra slim?
High speed passive hdmi cables are currently certifiable for up to 25'. That means that the cable purchased, for the length purchased, are basically "guaranteed" to meet HDMI 1.4/2.0 hardware specs. At that length, any gauge should work just fine. At 25' and above, you may need a cable with a thicker gauge to meet the HDMI 1.4/2.0 specs. CL2 is for in-wall installation.

Active cables, such as Redmere, can meet the HDMI 1.4/2.0 hardware specs because they draw a little power from the sink end (tv side) so they can transmit the signal at longer lengths without loss, and the cables can be a smaller gauge because of the active component.

Again, how long is your run and how are you installing your cables?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cable runs are at most three feet each. Each cable is installed as required by the components directions. No external constraints restrict the cables span from device to device. HDMI's that come dislodged are the thick cables. It is this thickness that causes them to easily disconnect. In fact, that is way I use the Redmere Ultra Slim on our master bedroom HDTV. That 32" Samsung HDMI inputs require the HDMI cable to loop back and down. An ultra slim HDMI was without a doubt the answer to Samsung's seeming inconvient input placement. Hope this answers your question since I was not quite sure what you meant by how am I installing my cables.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
I wasn't sure if the majority of your cable run from devices to your tv was in-wall and then a short run to the tv or not. Certainly if your total cable length is 3 or 4 feet, then the ultra thin HDMI cables (passive or active) will work just fine and you won't have any strain at all on the inputs (which can damage the HDMI circuit boards inside over time).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts