AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey--

I'm sure someone else has ran into this issue, so I thought I'd ask it here with a couple pics. In any case, I have a couple lights that don't really have any way to secure them from sliding side to side. All the other lights I've done in the past had a little screw to do that, but these don't. The one light has instructions that say to squeeze the clips together, but that doesn't really help that much--a little hard to slide, but they still do. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Taylor34

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As CJ states, you should be able to squeeze them with a pair of pliers.

However, I wonder why you are concerned. They won't move once the ceiling is in place.

You could always drill a hole and add a screw or ziptie.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason I'm concerned is because I'm not installing the drywall, although I am doing everything else. What I'm afraid of is that they'll knock the lights around while hanging the drywall, and then I'll be left with uneven lights. That's why I wanted to make sure that they couldn't move.

Taylor34

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,378 Posts
You can wrap electrical tape around the legs limiting any travel and also making sure they don't rattle. Self tapping sheet metal screws also work.

I'm curious why you went with none IC rated lights which prevents you from stuffing insulation nearby?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/14189278

You can wrap electrical tape around the legs limiting any travel and also making sure they don't rattle. Self tapping sheet metal screws also work.

I'm curious why you went with none IC rated lights which prevents you from stuffing insulation nearby?

Not putting insulation in my ceiling. Thought about it, but then decided that having easier access to the ceiling and the lower cost were more important. Noise isn't a big issue for us, if anyone is watching the movie we're both watching the movie--so I don't have to really worry about it. I didn't do it in my last theater and it was fine. Thanks for the tips!

Taylor34

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I'm planning on wrapping the legs of my lights with the same foil tape that one uses for HVAC. No way in heck will they rattle or move then.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14190903

I'm planning on wrapping the legs of my lights with the same foil tape that one uses for HVAC. No way in heck will they rattle or move then.

Foil tape rips like foil tape, ever try to rip quality electrical tape? You can really get it tight with an elastic tape not so much with the foil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts