AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 22 guage wire correct for wiring alarm systems? Do you use also use this wire for the motion and smoke detectors? Last question, does the wire need to be shielded?

·
Registered
212 Posts
RobertJ, use 22/2 for swithes and siren motions and keypad use 22/4

If you wire a smoke you need to use fire wire to siren, keypad and smoke

It does not have to be shielded.

Mike

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would suggest runing 22/4 for everything. We don't even run 22/2 in the houses we prewire because the cost differences aren't huge and if the finish carpenter hits a door wire or window wire you have 2 extra conductors as a backup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Eriks - when you prewire do you drop "pig tails" from the window contacts, or do you route your main wire al the way to the contact? From what I understand sensors on the same zone are connected in series but I wasn't sure if there was a recommend method.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Depending on the type of Alarm System you are going to use, I would suggest you not series sensors in a zone (the possible exception being ganged windows). Wire each sensor to its own zone. Zone expanders are cheap, with most controllers easily handling upto 48 zones, and many way beyond that. If you've got more than 48 exterior doors, windows and motions, then I wanna come live at your house ;)

BTW,

Check out alt.security.alarms on the news groups. Alot of good information from alot of seasoned installers and tailored for the DIYer. I ended up with the Caddx NX-8 system and have been extremely pleased with its ease of setup and performance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Robertmee. I can always count on you to give me a reason to upgrade :D . "Honey Robert said......"

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J
Thanks Robertmee. I can always count on you to give me a reason to upgrade :D . "Honey Robert said......"
I'll just plead the 5th :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Like Robertmee said, I would suggest running all the zones homerun to the panel. Back 20 years ago it was the standard to loop from switch to switch all the way around the house but as soon as you get one nick in the wire you lose the whole circuit. For the connection to the switch you have two options, you can get switches with screw terminals that are easier to service or you can get them with pigtails for a tad cheaper and make a junction in the wall. On that note if you aren't 100% confident on your splice I would suggest the screw terminals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.