AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good HT as a lot of people here do. I have pretty much quit going to the commercial theater because I enjoy the performance of my HT better, However I have heard Kong is one that should be viewed in the commercial theater. Is this true, or would it be a better experience on dvd assuming you have a nice theater?

Go see it or wait for dvd?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Even though I give it a less than stellar rating, it is worth seeing in the theater. As I told inquirers, when it's good, it's the best that cinema offers in terms of big-screen thrills and fun, and Kong is the greatest CGI character I've seen to date. Spend $5 on a Saturday matinee if you don't want to pay full price, and you'll be glad you did. Just don't buy any 44 oz. sodas - the movie is 3 hours and 7 minutes long, with no intermission, and no place that you want to take a break and miss.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do Both

Most of us only get out a few times a year and this was worth it to me, depending on if you've seen the original and how long ago that was. The CGI was amazing for Kong himself. Go ASAP, find the best theater you can, get yourself a LARGE DRINK and LARGE POPCORN and if you're feeling special a box of Milk Duds (which will last the whole movie easily, people who want to diet should try mild duds, after a box you won't want to chew again for a long time.)

Look, life is busy and often very stressful, treat yourself to a few movies in the theater a year just to get out and participate. $20 isn't going to kill you, a typical take out order is $20, hell a box of cereal is $5. Just go and have some fun, leave your judgement at the door and go be entertained for a few hours. It kills me when people start taking entertainment too seriously. Even if a movie is a piece of crap, I always say well at least they tried, you can't get it right all the time. Just think you only wasted $5-10 but some fools spent millions of that project, think The Legend of Ron Burgundy, uhh.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yea at least if you dont like it then you dont have to buy the dvd.Think of the money you could save. At least you would have a day out for the money you have spent. Sometimes i only go to the cinema just for the popcorn an see an average movie and i also have a large setup. But i do find it annoying when you are deep into the movie and you can constantly hear yapping and giggling. Hey, but thats the movies. Me personally, i would stay home to watch a movie like that, but would never tell anyone else to.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats exactly right you can. Good point.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went and saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory at the movies and really liked that. Mind you, i took the kids, and i knew i was getting that on dvd anyway regardless.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Saw this one in the theaters at 11:00AM New Years day -- great time to go -- big theater, about 25 folks. The time before that was to ROTS, but I did not totally give up the prospect of an entertaining and enjoyable time at the cinema, just because of that. The time before that was for the LOTRs movies.

So the potentially awesome and special can still draw me out. The sound I don't think is quite so refined as in my environs, but has the aspect of BIG space and air which my situation cannot afford me.

The visuals were extravagantly awesome. Yes, most convincing CGI character to date -- just extraordinary -- I mean Kong, of course -- they did have another humanoid-type representation that I think was CG too -- along the lines of a Smiegal, playing the role of the director, but I didn't feel he was rendered with anything close to the realism and emotion of KK.

A splendid time at the movies! -- I'm looking forward to the five-hour extended version on DVD as well!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I dont care if what you have at home, you can have a 120" screen, Kong is a movie that begs to be seen on the monster screen. Its so impressive on a big screen, you have to do that. Find the biggest screen you can, many times in these multi-plexes different theaters have different size screens, see it on the big one.

You will love it at home too, but you really gotta see it in the theater.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Well, I went to see King Kong this past weekend. I was rudely reminded why I hate going to the theater. Some guy and his kid sitting right behind me, literally talked ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE ENTIRE MOVIE! I turned around and looked at them several times hoping they would get the hint. But not.

THEATERS SUCK. :mad:

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
"THEATERS SUCK."

I know exactly where that is coming from, but you have to pick your times. I sat right in the center of my 300 plus stadium seating venue. I had the entire row all to myself, one row in front there was one guy to my right and two down from me, the row in back had two people all the way to the other end on the aisle.

There were about five restroom breaks during the whole three hours, and before the movie the guy in front checked his cell phone screen for text, and that was it -- three hours of virtually uninterrupted bliss! -- I can't even do that at home. I'm sure I break up every DVD I see at least twenty times.

The theater I saw it at was at a mall -- the parking lot was empty early New Years day -- there wasn't even anyone inside the theater door to rip my ticket -- I just paid and went to my theater. I think there may have been two people at the concessions.

The screen was HUGE! Just a real blast -- this is exactly how I like to go, but sometimes you CAN be surprised even on your best plan. I once went to an obscure Lina Wertmuller film at the local arthouse -- the theater just kept filling up and filling up -- I changed seats five times until I got to the front row and all the way over to screen left -- HIDEOUS! -- I was still not to be saved -- EVERY SEAT WAS TAKEN! (and that too was probably 300-500 capacity!) Couldn't believe it -- should've just stuck with my pretty good original seats or gotten out of there.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'll wait for the Blu-ray version.

oh wait, Universal will only release it on HD-DVD? Well, I'll just keep waiting until they change their minds. In the meantime, I'll keep that dough in my pocket. If they want my money they'll do as I say and not the other way around.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by launche
Just think you only wasted $5-10 but some fools spent millions of that project, think The Legend of Ron Burgundy, uhh.
"Take it easy Champ, why don't you stop talking for a while"

Sorry, I hated Anchorman on first viewing, but it's a pretty darn funny movie.

As for Kong, see in the theater and then see it at home. Great movie, flawed for sure, but great. It is an A+ popcorn movie and more. Looking forward to the super-duper extra special edition DVD too.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
Well, I went to see King Kong this past weekend. I was rudely reminded why I hate going to the theater. Some guy and his kid sitting right behind me, literally talked ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE ENTIRE MOVIE! I turned around and looked at them several times hoping they would get the hint. But not.

THEATERS SUCK. :mad:
The same thing happened to me. I had the worst theatrical experience of my life at Kong. It seemed like every single person in the packed audience was talking through the entire movie from the first frame to the last.

I wish I'd waited for DVD. I may never go back to a theater again.

Why do people have to suck? Is there a "politeness" gene that's been bred out of the general population?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The same thing happened to me. I had the worst theatrical experience of my life at Kong. It seemed like every single person in the packed audience was talking through the entire movie from the first frame to the last.

I wish I'd waited for DVD. I may never go back to a theater again.

Why do people have to suck? Is there a "politeness" gene that's been bred out of the general population?
Why didn't you say something to the talkers? I dont' let that slide.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Personally, I've never understood the "must be seen on the big screen" concept. I've gone to several of those, and have yet to come away feeling like the size of the screen added anything to my involvement in the film. I can get drawn into a film even on my relatively small (in home theater terms) 46" screen, and the positives of better sound and being able to select my company make the choice to wait 'till DVD a no brainer for me. The only reason I ever go to the theater is when I'm with other people who want to go. Outside of that, I simply watch everything a few months behind, the way I want to watch them.

·
Banned
5,753 Posts
This one is definitely worth seeing in the theater and buying the DVD to see at home. Flawed film? Maybe. But while I was watching it I wasn't thinking: "Flawed film". That was in retrospect.

I recently saw another film and sneaked into Kong to see the New York ending again. It held together better than I remembered.

It is a solid, great film. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I'd say wait for DVD because I suspect the animation wouldn't look good at all on a large movie theater screen. I say that based on prior hyped movies like Titantic where the animation didn't even look good on a small screen.

But I'm biased--I have little interest in seeing this film. My only interest in it is that it has Jack Black.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin
Personally, I've never understood the "must be seen on the big screen" concept. I've gone to several of those, and have yet to come away feeling like the size of the screen added anything to my involvement in the film.
I think it was the second Star Wars film that I most noticed the big screen effect. There are some scenes in that which just are not the same at home.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.