AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am wondering if anyone done this before: Using a sheet of see-thru mirror glass(two-way mirror) over the flat panel to dub a TV as a mirror when not turning it on. Alternatively a sheet of reflective metalic film could be used for this purpose.

I was looking for a good way to furnish my dining room wall and came across the Philips MiraVision, but its extra premium doesn't justify for it in my means. Then I googled a little bit and found www.seethroughmirrors.com offers such things, but they stated only 40% of original light would come thru the glass. I am not sure if this could be a problem for day time viewing. Has anyone done this before, in particular with today's flat panel TVs?

TIA for sharing the information.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sharp showed one at Kitchen and Bath. Get ready to bend over when it comes to pricing though. The mirror was more expensive than the LCD/Plasma

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe a DIY is best here.

Take a pane of glass and take automotive mirror tint (they have varying mirror 'strengths') take the lightest mirror tint or the one up from that. (I think it's like 5% for the lightest mirror tint)

When ou ahve the glass tinted put a key light on it when you dont' have the TV on. This will reflect an adaquate amount of light when you aren't using it. It's the same principle of regular house lights on when it's dark outside. You can see into the house when it's dark and they have lights on inside, but the people inside where the lights are on can't see out.

This effect is even more pronounced when there is a slight mirror to the glass.

the 5% will let 95% of the light thru and so on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.