AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll visit the US in a week and thought it would be a good chance to exemine PJ and probably purchase one as well.

The websites of compusa, best buy and so on, have a nice variaty of models.

Do these stores actually have display rooms so I can look at some of the PJ in action (at least the "in stock" or popular models)?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Some Best Buy stores have a "Magnolia Home Theater" with projectors set up, but they are rarely calibrated well and not all have projectors.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sadly, in our part of the U.S. I have never seen a retail outlet with enough sense to dedicate the space for an appropriate room/space for a demo area of front projectors and screens.

If they only knew how many PJs and screens they would sell if buyers could properly compare them to dinky little (by comparison) tvs I am sure they would have set up pj demo rooms a long time ago.

Maybe consumer projector retailers in much larger metro areas are smart enough to properly demo projection.

goodluck

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Where are you going to be?

Maybe someone here can play host for a demo or two.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna be in the Phoenix area for a week, any other stores besides those I mentioned that might have PJ for display (dedicated home theater equipment stores)?

I visited the states last year and used that chance to buy medium budget headphones. The seller in "fry's" told me that they don't have the sets I wanted to compare, open for testing, and my best option is to just buy all of them, and return (without charge) those that I don't like (I was amazed by that type of testing method).

Is that a costum thing to do in the US?

Would that work with PJ as well?

·
Registered
400 Posts
There will be few places that have them setup, mostly high end shops I think you would be hard pressed anywhere to find one setup with an under $3000 dollar projector they are mostly trying to sell $5000 and up projectors, and their setup is typically awful. Its a shame really its amazing what a $1000 will get you in the FP world. Best bet is to see if anyone from that area chimes in, or start a new thread "looking for projector demo in phoenix" We nit pick here back and forth a bit but I think all the projectors that get a reasonable amount of attention here are quality projectors that would make us all happy.

The buy try out and return thing does happen quite a bit its nice to have that option but it can be a hassle to do so, setting up equiptment etc. I prefer to do some research and purchase what I think I want and if it ends up being totally lacking I would return it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts