AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The green image on my 1031q has what appears to be a small dead spot low in the on-screen image. Looking at the image with the lens assembly out, it looks like a small trapezoid. In fact, I get the impression it's a foreign object on the other side of the liquid-cooled screen thingy. But when I power down the crt, I can no longer see it.

The bottom line is you can, at times, see a small pinkish spot in my 4x3 image. I plan on resizing to 16x9. I figure I can configure the image so you can't see the spot at all. On the other hand, I'd rather not have to.

What's my next step? What's behind the liquid panel? Am I going to really screw it up if I disassemble it? Or is this just a waste of time?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Eric

BYW - My VB50HRTV tuner showed up yesterday. I ran down to Radio Shed and picked up a 25-pin female lead. Canibalized an old VGA cable I got from work. (Thanks again for the pinout diagram Jason!) This puppy rocks!

The quality of the image just took a quantum leap forward. OK, it's not a big dollar rig's image... but all told, I'm up to about $375 invested. But I'm already at an image quality better than my off the shelf RPTV. And I've had a lot of fun putzing at night in my garage.

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a pix to show you where I'm at with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a pinkinsh "F" looking thing on the right side of my screen when I first set it up. After a lot of grief and anger, I realized that spacer on the red tube had gotten loose during transport. I removed the lense block and put the spacer back in. Solved my problem. Try removing the lense block. It's a pretty easy procedure, and you can take the oppurtunity to clean the crt faces and rear of the lenses. Read some posts on instructions.

BTW, have you seen an HTPC on one of these? I was wondering because I would like know what the PQ difference is between HTPC and the VB50. I don't have a problem with using the HTPC, but my mom is not able to use it, so I thought that I'd pick one of these up because of its plug-and-play capabilities. Maybe you can post a pic?

Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're refering to the lens block as the lens assembly where you lift the lenses off the projector, I'm past that. The thing I'm talking about appears to be behind the liquid filled panel.

eric

·
Registered
155 Posts
oh, sorry. I didn't read your post completely. Actually, it's clear as day in the first line. DOH!

I can't help you. I've never taken the CRTs out of my 1031, so anything could be lurking behind there. I'm sure someone will let you know.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Uh, I don't think the coolant cavity is removable. Even if it is you would not want to remove it. If I were you I wouldn't be messing with the tubes unless I knew what I was doing.

HTPCs are amazing with the 1031Q. You get PowerStrip and get 720x480p running with it and you have an amazing projector for DVD playback. HTPC is without a doubt the way to go if you have a 1031Q. If you have a 1030Q though it's kind of a toss-up between a line doubler and an HTPC as the 1030Q cannot do the 34KHz horiz. scan needed to run 720x480p as the 1031Q can.

·
Registered
16,591 Posts
Eric ,

-- I hate to say this but that sounds like a burn on the tube face .

-- As Mike said you should not take this area apart as you can cause more harm than good . Can you take a picture and post it so that we can see exactly what you are talking about ?

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
:)

Why the long faces? If you have invested less than $400 and you have a tube with a burn or other inperfection that is outside the area you intent to use once you set up for a 16:9 screen then you are better off than a lot of people. $375 for a 1031 is a very low price in my view. You can also get a used or new tube to solve the problem if needed.

G00d Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. On a 100" screen, it's a trapezoidal shape about 3/8" in diameter. Unless a solid, light-colored image falls on it, it's not noticeable. And I think I can adjust the scan out of it by adjusting to 16x9.

I've seen pictures of burns here before, though. This doesn't look like that. This looks more like dust or something.

But if removing that liquid-filled thingy can get me in hot water, it's not worth the effort.

In all other respects, this deal is rockin right now. I'm tres pumped. That $375 includes a VB50 to use as a line doubler. woo woo!!!

I wish I didn't have to work this afternoon. I want to go home and play with my toy.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.