AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m seeking specifics for a home audio setup in an open floor plan living room where the tv is wall mounted with space below to hold receiver, speaker, etc. and plenty of floor space. My wife is not allowing me to run wire for rear speakers unfortunately. At the peak my ceiling is 14 foot high. The living room also opens up to the kitchen so there is a lot of space for sound to travel unfortunately. I’m looking to spend around $2k with a range of $1,500-$3k. Here are my biggest questions:

1) am I spending enough to even matter? Should I just get a prepackaged plug n play setup since the room is large and would require a much higher budget to actually do something worth it.

2) should I do a custom 3.1 setup and not include rears since the wife doesn’t want me to have rear wire ran

3) any specific setup ideas/suggestions on specific products

Photo of the room is attached. Kitchen is to the left out of screen and the TV is mounted on the wall in the picture.

Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
You specifically posted in the DIY section, but not sure if you meant to. Are you open to building speakers or are you looking to just buy a set? That much money can get you some incredible DIY speakers capable of blowing any store bought speakers out of the water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You specifically posted in the DIY section, but not sure if you meant to. Are you open to building speakers or are you looking to just buy a set? That much money can get you some incredible DIY speakers capable of blowing any store bought speakers out of the water.
I am open to a custom setup. My biggest issue is going to be the wife not wanting wires running to rear speakers. Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I ran 3.1 for a long time and I enjoyed it. I do think surrounds add a lot but if you can't, you can't. I ran wires under the house through basement, so if you have a basement that can be an option. If you have the room I would build a set of 1099s or 1299s if you can fit them. Those are crazy bang for your buck speakers.

They come out to about $450 a speaker. The flat pack makes the 1099s super easy to build

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/elusive-1099/fusion-1099.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts