Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm seeking some people to help me Beta test this application I've been developing (see the 'archiving hdtv' thread elsewhere in this forum).

The application currently is a standalone, command-line tool that will convert any arbitrary file to a DV-encoded .avi file, and vice-versa. You must use some application (like Premier or Scenalyzer) to transfer the .avi to and from the camcorder.

Once I have confirmed this is working properly, I will begin expanding the tool to be able to stream the file directly from the tape during playback, and also add some kind of error-correction (the strength of which is still TBD).

If you are interested in Beta-Testing this app, please email me at [email protected] with the Following info:

- Make and model of Camcorder

- Make and model of Firewire card (and if it is OHCI or not)

- Software used to transfer .avi file

- HDTV card being used, if possible. Ideally I would like to test with ATSC streams, although the testing can be done with other large files.

This way I can hopefully get the biggest spread of tools to test with.

Thanks!

Andy K.

[This message has been edited by kromkamp (edited 04-22-2001).]

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW I should mention that the tools currently make a 'Type-2' DV file, so if your software only handles Type-1 then these tools wont work yet. I havent been able to generate a clean Type-1 file so I still need a template to work from.

Andy K.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
This post brought to you by the Save Andy's Thread foundation.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
982 Posts
OK, I'll give it a try. See my private e-mail to you for more details. I have a HiPix card and a Cannon Optura.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a JVC GR-DVM70 camera you can use if you give it back when your done. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Actually, I do have the camera, and an Adaptec Firewire PCI card still in the shrink wrap, and a copy of Premier I'd have to dust off. If you really need a JVC test I'll try and toss this all together. Right now I'm in the middle of video card wars, so I tend to rebuild OS's a lot anyway.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Andy-

I would be happy to try some beta-testing as well. I use a Canon ZR10 camcorder, an OHCI-compliant 1394 board with a Texas Instruments controller (it came in a package with 'IntroDV' software), and I will use MGI VideoWave 3 or 4 to do the transfers.

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
386 Posts
Andy

Maybe it's just me, but could you elaborate a little more on what this can actually do for the average person with a camcorder?

I have a Canon Elura and although I have a PC, I use a Mac G4 / Final Cut Pro for editing. I use the Mac's build in Firwire connection. It all works flawlessly.

As for HDTV, can we/I even get an HDTV signal here in T.O.? and how does this relate to a camcorder?

If I understood what you are looking for, maybe I can help too.

Dazed and confused, Glenn

·
Registered
848 Posts
I wish I hadn't posted the questions about Mini-DV and Fry's sale price on a Panasonic PV-DV100 ($479 after rebate).

This thread contains all the necessary discussion to push my buying decision to the Sony DCR-TRV120.

Sorry for the space waste.

How's the beta going?

-yogaman

[This message has been edited by yogaman (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp:

Once I have confirmed this is working properly, I will begin expanding the tool to be able to stream the file directly from the tape during playback, and also add some kind of error-correction (the strength of which is still TBD).
I'd be very interested in this. Currently there is no software, I beleive, that can play full screen, directly from the DV cam through 1394. I want this to play DV directly on the projector, without having to first store it on hard disc.

BTW, I'd like to beta test too ... though I don't have a HD card yet. I can use some other types of video. The camcorder is a JVC gr-dvl9800U.

------------------
www.musicalnirvana.com

Presenting the genius of Indian Classical Music

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Things are coming along, but the good news is that I've found a camcorder to debug with (we had one at my work sitting under my nose all along), so things should progress much faster now.

So far, the majority of the feedback has been that people's software seem to work mostly with Type-1 DV files. Since my tools create Type-2 DV files, I'm going to sit down and modify them to optionally output Type1 or Type2.

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I must say the people on this forum are great. This is a really cool project, and I hope it turns out to work. Ultimately, if Andy can get his program to play HDTV streams real-time from tape, I will go out and buy an HDTV card and a DV camera in a heartbeat. Even if it's not real-time, I probably will anyway! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Keep up the good work and have fun!

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Canon Optura, HiPix, 5000 + modulator and an ASUS P3B-1394 MB

with on board Firewire. I believe it uses the Texas Instruments chipset.

I noticed that you are also located in Toronto. I could loan you

everything above except for the computer with the ASUS MB in it if

it would help.

What setup are you using to test your program with?

Hope I can help! 8)

Bill.

[This message has been edited by Bill Best (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update. Work is still progressing on this, its not in limbo http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Now that I have a camcorder to play with, I've found a few fundamental bugs in my code that hopefully are corrected now.

I'm polishing things up and hopefully I will be able to recommend a free or cheap piece of software to drive the transport at the same time (DVIO (free) or Scenalyer Live ($35)). I will make sure the combo runs smoothly so there are no problems there.

Andy K.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Andy: thanks for the update. It's nice to hear that it's progressing well.

I have a request. While we in Canada and the States are more concerned about HDTV archival, many others will be interested in your app for SDTV archival. When you release the app, could you give or provide a link to an overview of the camcorder market and the different storage amounts, etc., in case the requirements may be different for different people (or we may be heading over to e-bay and might need to know which camcorders will work for our needs)? I for one, have never owned a camcorder and don't know the first thing about them, even though I understand pretty well what you're doing and the ultimate payoff.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Dan,

Regarding SDTV storage, in theory there is no difference. In fact, this app could be used to store any kind of digital data that is somewhat tolerant of byte errors. So its definitely possible to polish it up for all kinds of applications.

Once its completed, I'll be polishing up and releasing the source code, so hopefully someone would run with that.

Regarding the camcorder market, I too am a beginner here. I'm using a Canon camcorder right now, but I dont have the means to test many different brands by myself. Hopefully another round of testing can take place (with different makes and models) when I have it fully working with my current setup.

Andy K.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: Well, I finally have it basically working. I probably had it working all along, but my testing camcorder (a Canon Elura) was not behaving properly. I strongly suspect Canon camcorders will *not* work properly with this software. They must have some kind of data-checking that other camcorders lack. 169time has had problems with at least 1 Canon camcorder as well, so I suspect it extends across the line.

I now am testing with a Sony TRV-130 and its working great. I'm going to polish up the code and (hopefully) release it this week.

I would like some more Beta testers, however I have to be frank - the Beta test turnout for the first round was underwhelming to say the least. Lots of interest, but when I sent the software out I got virtually *no* response.

I realize everyone has other things to do with thier time, but please dont waste my time if your really not interested in testing potentially buggy software.

Now that I have that off my chest http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I would be interested in getting a few *serious* Beta Testers w/ non-Canon camcorders. You must have DV software capable of handling Type-2 DV files ( www.scenalyzer.com is great software that I have been using and its only $35 bucks US), and a HiPix would be benficial.

Thanks,

Andy K.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What I would be really interested in is finding/building/hacking/whatever an internal 5.25" Drive bay compatible Digital Tape Drive recorder based on the DV media standard. It should have at least 2 GB in capacity and higher would be better etc. I didn't researched anything about this yet. I just had the idea.

This internal DV media drive should be based on either (in prefered order): Firewire, USB 2.0 or even IDE and let me record/play back any file type I want to in VCR style fashion (Record, Play, Pause, Fast Forward, etc) with the software.

Edit: And this internal DV drive needs to be able to record/play 20 Mbit/sec in real time.

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")

[This message has been edited by Desertfox (edited 05-18-2001).]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.