AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of selling my B&W 685s so that I can "upgrade" to a better pair of bookshelf speakers. (I want something will a fuller sound in the high frequencies than the 685s, if that makes sense.) I'm looking for a pair in the $1,000 to $1,500 range that is available in black. The speakers will primarily be used in a home theater setup but will occasionally be used for 2.1 music. My final requirement is that I would like to be able to audition the speakers at a B&M store in NYC (so no internet-direct manufacturers). All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
you could do a lot worse than these:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...NVEV2.2I%20BLK

not sure if there are any Energy dealers in NYC that carry Energy Veritas, but the Veritas speakers are awesome and this is a great deal. If I had a grand to spend on a pair of bookshelves I would go this route. There are probably MANY MANY great choices available in the $1000-1500 price range, however, so your best bet may be to find some local hi-fi stores and start listening.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
You've got a few decent audio stores in NYC, why not stretch your legs and hit a few up?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Paradigm Studio 20's or 40's would fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Also try out the Epos Acoustics M12i which have a nice detailed sound, which should be available somewhere in NYC I'm sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the recommendations! I fully intend to "stretch my legs" and listen to as many as possible, but I figured that I'd ask for suggestions before I begin my quest.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thAce /forum/post/15466358

I am in the process of selling my B&W 685s so that I can "upgrade" to a better pair of bookshelf speakers. (I want something will a fuller sound in the high frequencies than the 685s, if that makes sense.) I'm looking for a pair in the $1,000 to $1,500 range that is available in black. The speakers will primarily be used in a home theater setup but will occasionally be used for 2.1 music. My final requirement is that I would like to be able to audition the speakers at a B&M store in NYC (so no internet-direct manufacturers). All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Dali Icon I

hybrid tweeter it has a dome type and a ribbon type

I think you can get them for around $1500.00

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about the Sonus Faber Concertino Domus? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Would they work well in a HT setup?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thAce /forum/post/15470587

What about the Sonus Faber Concertino Domus? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Would they work well in a HT setup?

You're looking for something that sounds fuller, I'd recommend JMLab offerings or if that's too accurate and dynamic, something from Vienna Acoustics.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thAce /forum/post/15470587

Sonus Faber has very few offerings in black.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopulos /forum/post/15471138

Check out the new PSB Imagine B bookshelf SQ was very good when I auditioned them.

Oh yeah.... Like velvet butter.. Man their smooth...

Check out PSB's Synchrony bookshelves as well.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you're not willing to listen to ID in-home (which would give you the chance to compare against your current speakers) then I would check out the Paradigm Signature S2 and see if you can get it down in your price range... the Studio 20 is probably a better bang-for-the-buck so maybe compare those to the S2 and see if the difference is justified.

·
Premium Member
10,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thAce /forum/post/15466358

... My final requirement is that I would like to be able to audition the speakers at a B&M store in NYC (so no internet-direct manufacturers). All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

You are excluding the best value products with this requirement. I would suggest you consider these if you would widen your search http://www.salksound.com/htshome.shtml . I have heard nothing better at their price point. Jim's return policy is fabulous.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
x2 on the above. I didn't even notice that requirement, sorry. I'm pretty sure though, that there must be some SSR owners in NYC (certainly some in NJ as seen in the thread linked above). Register on audiocircle.com and you can access both salk and selah circles (as well as some other good ones like VMPS and ellis audio .

·
Premium Member
10,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15473465

x2 on the above. I didn't even notice that requirement, sorry. I'm pretty sure though, that there must be some SSR owners in NYC (certainly some in NJ as seen in the thread linked above). Register on audiocircle.com and you can access both salk and selah circles (as well as some other good ones like VMPS and ellis audio .

The Selah's I like are way beyond his price point and the VMPS units I have worked on have been a huge disappointment. The best Selah line arrays are some of the best speakers I have ever heard.

I work on a wide variety of products and get to hear and measure them all. Excluding these small manufacturers is leaving you with much lower quality for the money if you are buying new. In the used market you can be more competitve for the price.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts