AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Panasonic 42PWD5UY and it looks great! I bought it from VisualApex for $3790 including shipping and a tilt mount.

I'm watching DVDs with the s-video output of my Sony DVP-5330. Will I see a noticeable improvement if I upgrade to a progressive-scan component output DVD Player? If so, what do you recommend?

-Ivan

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
There's large debate over whether you see an improvement. Some prefer the interlaced feed over progressive for their Panny's.

I lean toward the progressive camp though, and I think it looks better than interlaced. I'm not sure how good that Sony player is for PQ... Is it among the top DVD players? If not, then I would recommend the Panny RP82 or the CP72. They are basically the same unit, just the CP is a 5-disc changer. The PQ on the Panny RP82 and CP72 is said to be among the best, esspecially for the cost. The CP72 can be had from etronics for $199 and there's a $30 Panny rebate. How can ya go wrong for that price?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
But the most important thing is to stop using s-video to watch DVD. Switch to the component connection and you'll see a BIG increase in PQ, even on interlaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand. My current DVD player does not have component out. As long as I'm upgrading to get the component out, I might as well get one with progressive scan.

I can imagine that the Panny's line-doubler does the equivalent of the DVD player's progressive scan output. Well, I'll know in a few days...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.