AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audophiles/Stereophiles and AVS members-alike:

I am a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and want to set up a nice -by college budget standards- home theater set-up for our living room next year. We plan on having two couches with raised/stadium seating. I have already ruled out 7.1 systems after doing research because we will most definitely not have the space necessary for the rear speakers to be behind our seating. Below I will try my best at giving the required details one would need to discern what would be the best set-up for us. In regards to how much money we are willing to spend, let's say around $500 for the speakers and $400 for the AVR. I have done some preliminary research during my study breaks from finals for potential set-ups and will mention them below. We are mainly looking for quality movie audio but will also be using the set-up to play PS3 (eventually PS4)/Xbox 360 on, as well as play music for pregaming on the weekends.

Living Room Dimensions: 17x14; Wood flooring and dry-wall.

Display: Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT30 Plasma HDTV

Speakers:

- Polk RM 510 System $275 OBO

- Polk TL2600 System $425 OBO

AVRs:

- Denon AVR 4308CI $400 OBO

- Denon AVR 2308CI $200 OBO

- Denon AVR 1312 $100 OBO

- Denon AVR 985S No price listed.

Prices are all on craigslist and I would demand to test before purchasing.

Wiring: I have not had time to do research on this, but figured this was the place to go to get guided to the right wiring.

Bass Traps? Given our intended set up, would these be worth the hassle (if done DIY) or purchase?

Thanks in advanced for any help that you guys may offer.

Sincerely,

BadgerAVS

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerAVS  /t/1472381/seeking-help-setting-up-college-house-ht#post_23305761

Audophiles/Stereophiles and AVS members-alike:

I am a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and want to set up a nice -by college budget standards- home theater set-up for our living room next year. We plan on having two couches with raised/stadium seating. I have already ruled out 7.1 systems after doing research because we will most definitely not have the space necessary for the rear speakers to be behind our seating. Below I will try my best at giving the required details one would need to discern what would be the best set-up for us. In regards to how much money we are willing to spend, let's say around $500 for the speakers and $400 for the AVR. I have done some preliminary research during my study breaks from finals for potential set-ups and will mention them below. We are mainly looking for quality movie audio but will also be using the set-up to play PS3 (eventually PS4)/Xbox 360 on, as well as play music for pregaming on the weekends.

Living Room Dimensions: 19x16; Wood flooring and dry-wall.

Display: Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT30 Plasma HDTV

Speakers:

- Polk RM 510 System $275 OBO

- Polk TL2600 System $425 OBO

AVRs:

- Denon AVR 4308CI $400 OBO

- Denon AVR 2308CI $200 OBO

- Denon AVR 1312 $100 OBO

- Denon AVR 985S No price listed.

Wiring: I have not had time to do research on this, but figured this was the place to go to get guided to the right wiring.

Bass Traps? Given our intended set up, would these be worth the hassle (if done DIY) or purchase?

Thanks in advanced for any help that you guys may offer.

General guidance -

Put your money into the speakers, once minimum quality is acheived with the AVR. The 3 1/2 midranges in the better of the two HTIB are kinda lost in a room that size, even with the minimal subwoofer included.

You are better off putting in a good 2.1 or 3.1 system than distracting yourself with surround speakers.

Good subwoofers start around $200 and good front speakers can be had for under $200 a pair. You can live without a center channel for a while.

Looks like you are quoting used equipment prices, which are iffy because you don't know what sort of shape it is actually in.

Your room sounds like it will be way too reverberant for good sound. The cheapest effective room treatment is often overstuffed furniture and bookcases that you may already have. After that panels strategically on the first reflection points could be more strategic than bass traps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1472381/seeking-help-setting-up-college-house-ht#post_23306393

General guidance -

Put your money into the speakers, once minimum quality is acheived with the AVR. The 3 1/2 midranges in the better of the two HTIB are kinda lost in a room that size, even with the minimal subwoofer included.

You are better off putting in a good 2.1 or 3.1 system than distracting yourself with surround speakers.

Good subwoofers start around $200 and good front speakers can be had for under $200 a pair. You can live without a center channel for a while.

Looks like you are quoting used equipment prices, which are iffy because you don't know what sort of shape it is actually in.

Your room sounds like it will be way too reverberant for good sound. The cheapest effective room treatment is often overstuffed furniture and bookcases that you may already have. After that panels strategically on the first reflection points could be more strategic than bass traps.

Thank you for input Arnyk! I don't know if it changes anything, but the room dimensions are actually 17x14 (Our landlord gave us rather poorly drawn blueprints) so that is a full 66 sq ft. less. I understand the risk of buying used, but I have had good luck in the past using craigslist and would of course demand to test them before handing over any money. Could you elaborate on as to why it seems like our living room would reverberate substantially? I apologize if this is common knowledge but I'm a biology/psychology major and definitely not an audio engineer. Thanks again for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.