AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m hoping to solve a minor mystery. I recently upgraded my ancient curved tube set to a new flat tube and I’m noticing some weird graphic problems with certain video games on my Cube.

On the left and right sides of the screen there is noticeable “waviness†happening. The top and bottom are perfectly straight but the odd game (ex: Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia) will be marked with uneven vertical edges on the left and right, while other games (Zelda: WW, Metroid Prime) have perfect geometry on all edges.

Are certain games just designed this way and I’ve never noticed before due to the curved edges of my old set obscuring the waviness? I should add that all DVDs and cable viewing have normal geometry. This only happens as I mentioned with the odd Cube game. It's very annoying and perplexing. Could it be a flaky Cube or is it a problem with my TV? I’m using a monster s-video connection but the problem is there as well with the Cubes stock cables.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a Panasonic Tau that does this if the contrast is up too high. If that is the case you could try turning down the contrast. I don't believe it is the actual contrast that distorts the geometry in my case, I believe it is the draw on the powersupply when the contrast is high. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
watch the edges to see if they change shape when it suddenly gets brighter, a bright flash like when Samus shoots at a wall in a mostly dark room would be an example. if so, this most likely points to a flakey power supply. my 27" flat-screen toshiba was plagued with the same problem. the problem does diminish though if you set up the TV brightness/contrast properly. if you havent already, then bust out a DVD with the THX Optimizer on it and do a rough calibration, this should help.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
double posting like a mofo. cooking pasta so i hit okay too fast.

it could also be SVM. i almost forgot about that since i havent had to deal with it in so long. make sure SVM is turned off, it'll do funny things to your edges. check for a setting in your menu, or try changing it over to "movie/theater" mode. i dont know the specific details with your model.

as far as returning the TV, if its reacting as i described, getting a new one most likely wont help. all power supplies in that price range suck. it's just one of the problems you have to deal with if you are spending so little on a TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried all options but nothing has done the trick. It's getting serviced this week so hopefully the tech can work some service menu voodoo on it. You’d think JVC and the other manufacturers would make sure the power supplies were up to snuff for anything connected to it. Those are the breaks though I suppose. Appreciate the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.