AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All;

I have just moved into our new home, and need some advise on setting up our new room. I am seeking some subjective advice as to how to best place speakers in the room. It is a challenging space at best, but I am confident we can make it sound great (with the help of this forum's members.)

A few things worth noting:

I am on a limited budget (I know this is relative) as we are also landscaping, adding A/C, window treatments, kids room decor, etc...

I currently have a great set of box speakers for the front channels: Energy Veritas 2.3i / 2.0 center. I have given up on using them as the door opens into the left speaker. I had to chose between a tiny screen and using the box speakers. I chose the former as we had a 126" screen in our prior home and I could not drop down to 80". I have purchased the Energy Veritas in-wall speakers and cut the walls on the left and right sides for the speakers. I plan to treat the walls as best I can using tips found on the forum (Glue / insulation / Extra screws.) I hope/pray to get sound close to my prior setup. Also, the center has been cut in 3" below the center of the screen. It is and Energy Veritas in-wall horizontal center.

My decision to get the Veritas in-wall speakers was due to the very positive experience I have had with the Veritas box speakers.

So now I am left with the challenge of placing my sub and surround speakers. The windows in the room make wall placement very difficult, but not impossible. Also, the couch is backed up very near the rear wall.

So what to do? Should I ceiling mount the surround / rear channels? Everything I have read to date suggests this destroys imaging.

I also have a few sets of Sonance in-ceiling speakers to play with. Should I use the bipoles or dipoles? Where should they go?

Any help is appreciated, I am attaching the following diagram for clarification.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanemerson /forum/post/16937202

All;

I have just moved into our new home, and need some advise on setting up our new room. I am seeking some subjective advice as to how to best place speakers in the room. It is a challenging space at best, but I am confident we can make it sound great (with the help of this forum's members.)

A few things worth noting:

I am on a limited budget (I know this is relative) as we are also landscaping, adding A/C, window treatments, kids room decor, etc...

I currently have a great set of box speakers for the front channels: Energy Veritas 2.3i / 2.0 center. I have given up on using them as the door opens into the left speaker. I had to chose between a tiny screen and using the box speakers. I chose the former as we had a 126" screen in our prior home and I could not drop down to 80". I have purchased the Energy Veritas in-wall speakers and cut the walls on the left and right sides for the speakers. I plan to treat the walls as best I can using tips found on the forum (Glue / insulation / Extra screws.) I hope/pray to get sound close to my prior setup. Also, the center has been cut in 3" below the center of the screen. It is and Energy Veritas in-wall horizontal center.

My decision to get the Veritas in-wall speakers was due to the very positive experience I have had with the Veritas box speakers.

So now I am left with the challenge of placing my sub and surround speakers. The windows in the room make wall placement very difficult, but not impossible. Also, the couch is backed up very near the rear wall.

So what to do? Should I ceiling mount the surround / rear channels? Everything I have read to date suggests this destroys imaging.

I also have a few sets of Sonance in-ceiling speakers to play with. Should I use the bipoles or dipoles? Where should they go?

Any help is appreciated, I am attaching the following diagram for clarification.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a tough room at first glance. A few random thoughts to start the discussion: Since you and the wife are sitting on the couch near the rear wall, those speakers may be ceiling, stand mounted, rear wall, or side wall mounted. For 5.1, you have many options here; many on this forum would advocate for the side walls near the end of the couch, dipoles firing down the sides of the wall and the listener in the null , or the use of direct radiators. Rear wall placement could use direct radiators firing along parallel lines over the listeners head for ambience, or bipoles. I have installed rear surrounds on speaker stands behind the rear of the couch for folks who do not place the sofa flush with the rear wall. Your last option, rear in-ceiling located speakers can work just fine for back surrounds of a home theater system.

For 7.1, you have to decide if the dog and the 2 kids (along with the empty space on the other side labeled "couch" is in actuality treated like the first row, expecially if they are several feet in front of the back of the couch where you and the mrs. are hanging out. Speakers on stands, a couple feet above ear level can be hidden for the most part behind the couch. As you say, wall mounting won't work with that large window on one side.

So, if that couch only has one valid sweet spot, near the rear wall, 5.1 should be your best bet. If the entire couch is use for listening and viewing and there is several feet separation from front to back, 7.1 could be cool but likely best enjoyed as an enveloping system by the dog and 2 kids in your diagram. You mentioned poor imaging from ceiling speakers.....definitely true when used as fronts; I think you get away with it for the most part with surround ceiling speakers (except when playing mutichannel music, perhaps).

One, maybe 2 subwoofers ultimately need to be incorporated into your space. You would find many methods of finding the best location for your sub on this forum in the Subwoofer section.

·
Registered
30,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago /forum/post/16939572

So, if that couch only has one valid sweet spot, near the rear wall, 5.1 should be your best bet.

That's what I would do too. There's not enough space behind the couch for 7.1 to work effectively and get clear rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.

For a 5.1-speaker layout, I would put the surrounds in the back corners of the room. The multiple reflective surfaces will aid with envelopment and the wide spread will help maintain strong stereo separation.

·
Registered
30,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanemerson /forum/post/16944020

So I will not have the depth in the room even with time alignment, etc?

Time alignment will help compensate for speaker distance but cannot change speaker angle. Based on your diagram and distance from the back wall, your rear speakers aren't going to sound like they're behind you.
Quote:
Will the sound become more "hollow" with only a 5.1 system?

What do you mean by "hollow"?
Quote:
Also, if I ran the 7.1 ceiling system what positions shold be dipole/bipole?

Bipoles spray sound pretty evenly in all directions, so they can be used for side and/or rear speakers. Dipoles have a null (quiet zone) in their dispersion pattern, which is located inbetween both sets of drivers. To get the proper effect with dipoles, the nulls have to be pointed towards the listeners.

Even with in-ceiling speakers, I don't see how you'll get any distinct separation between the side and rear speakers; you'll end up defeating the purpose of a 7.1 set-up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Understood;

I am working on some 5.1 diagrams. My goal is to share the information I garner with the forum.

Thank you for the info!

Hollow meaning not as much depth or feeling of immersion... My own definition. It seems the only way to get the 7.1 is to have a longer room or pull the listeners up into the room with different furniture.

I am also adding tactile transducers into the couch. It will help with the punch when the subs are turned down and the kids are in bed!

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanemerson /forum/post/16947271

Hollow meaning not as much depth or feeling of immersion... My own definition!

I doubt you'll feel this way with 5.1 in your room. There just isn't enough space around the sides and back of the seating area. sdurani is right.

IME, the "upgrade" to 7.1 is noticeable in an accomodating room, but it is subtle. I haven't heard but one native 7.1 soundtrack on a blu-ray disc, so perhaps that would be different . . . . In other words, you're not missing much as I am missing with 7.1 but no transducers in my couch!

As far as on wall, I agree that these would be more desireable than ceiling mounted surrounds. With just 5.1, I believe you'll want to move the side surrounds back.

·
Registered
30,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanemerson /forum/post/16947271

Hollow meaning not as much depth or feeling of immersion... My own definition.

You won't have that problem with a 5.1-speaker set-up.
Quote:
It seems the only way to get the 7.1 is to have a longer room or pull the listeners up into the room with different furniture.

Correct. You need to be far enough from the rear speakers (back wall) to clearly hear the difference between sounds coming from behind you versus sounds coming from your left or right side. If that's not possible, then it's better to do a good 5.1 set-up than a poor 7.1 layout.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts