AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. Here is my situation. I have purchased a 51 inch Hitachi 51UWX20B 16 X 9 tv projector. I will be getting an Onkyo TXSR800 today or tomorrow. I have digital cable TV a DVD player and a stereo VCR.

Digital cable box is motorola ( 2 RF, composite , s-video, and digital connection)

Hitachi has 2 inpout with component and composite and 3 others with composite and S-video

DVD is a panasonic RP56 with digital optical, component, svideo and composite

VCR have RF and composite only

finally Onkyo has a mix of digital optical, coax, component and composite and s-video.

Now i have been told that because my digical cable box only have composite and s-video, that i cannot use the obkyo for video switching unless i hoo up everything in S-video has it won't handle a mix of S-video and component. Is that true?

If so what would be the best way to connect my equipment together to enjoy the best quality of picture and sound without having to use 3 or 4 separate remote to control everything and or to switch from one mode to the other

Thanks

Alain

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Alain,

I'm by far an expert around here, but I'm in the process of setting my HT up as well. I have a similar setup with about a 50" HDTV Toshiba WS, and what I'm planning on doing is running everything straight from the source into the back of that Toshiba, until I run out of space to plug stuff in, and then, naturally, run the sound through the receiver. Personally, I don't think a lot of these receivers are going to be able to add any quality to the video signal that passes through the receiver on the way to TV, so I bypass it. Saves some time and money as well. Now, for the remotes. See if that Onkyo of yours has a learning remote, and try going that route. If not, try picking up a refurbished Philips Pronto, which can run everything but the kitchen sink, and it's totally customizable and easy to use. Best of luck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding

I went to onlyo web site the have diagrams hook up but they don't seem to take into consideration various connection types , i found some on Monstercable web sites but they rely mostly on either s-video or composite connection.

For what i can figure out here is the best setup i can think of so far

Raw Cable: Split raw cable with a 2 way 75 ohm splitter with one output to the VCR antenna ans the other to the cable box cable in

Cable box: S-video ou to TV S-video In. Coax digital audio out to receiver, Composite vid and L/R analog audio outs to corrresponding inputs on VCR

VCR Composite vid out to TV composite vid in. L/R analog audio outs to any receiver line level inputs (VID1). RF out to TV antenna input

DVD player: Optical digital audio out to receiver. Component vid out to TV component in

TV: optional L/R analog audio outs to any receiver line level input (like TV/SAT or VID3)

This setup up would allow to record analog unscrambled stations using the VCR tuner while watching the box. It would also alow to record from the box while watching non-scrambled analog stations on tv tuner. At leasr i think it would

Problem is that even with the onkyo learning mode i will have to do 2 or 3 combiation on the remote to access the other video component

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.