AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for any and all anecdotes regarding the cost of screens as the grew in size.

For instance, it was briefly mentioned in another forum that 60" was once the largest available CFL-LCD and it came with a sticker of $60,000 in 2006. I think that person was off by a 50%, but it's interesting anyway.

EDIT: That person was off by more than that.

Does anyone else have any other interesting milestones for display sizes?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I bought the first 1080p 65" plasma Panasonic sold in the US in 11/06. Price was around $10K including a commercial model stand bought separately because the idiots at Panny forgot to order any consumer stands. As I remember, 70" Sony SXRD was about $6k at the time. Thank God the silk screen affect I saw on it caused me to send it back. In 2005, Sharp offered the first 65" 1080p LCD (not FALD) for about $20K at release.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I bought the first 1080p 65" plasma Panasonic sold in the US in 11/06. Price was around $10K including a commercial model stand bought separately because the idiots at Panny forgot to order any consumer stands. As I remember, 70" Sony SXRD was about $6k at the time. Thank God the silk screen affect I saw on it caused me to send it back. In 2005, Sharp offered the first 65" 1080p LCD (not FALD) for about $20K at release.
At around that same time I bought a 37" Westinghouse 1080p LCD for around $1k. I still use it in my master bedroom (Actually the wife uses it). Not saying it's anywhere near the quality of what you bought, but what a price difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-...p/B000EYZ994/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts