AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm transitioning from having massive Klipsch reference towers with built in subwoofers (RP3) that I bought nearly 20 years ago into a much lower key Atmos setup with in-ceiling and in-wall speakers. Upgraded to a 65" LG C8 OLED and fully embraced 4K HDR awhile back, and the receiver was too old to properly support all the fancy new features.

• I bought a Marantz SR6012 and going for a 5.1.4 setup.
  • I also bought 4x MC80 and 4x MC85 (Polk in-ceiling / in-wall) speakers. Got a good deal on them.
  • Still have my Klipsch RC3 center channel speaker, but probably will also replace that too with an in-wall eventually, but no urgency
  • I do not have a bass solution

So I started researching in-wall / in-ceiling subwoofers and they are all fairly expensive and also require a dedicated amplifier.

Our situation is that we have a house and we have tenants that rent our basement suite. So having any subwoofer on the floor is generally a bad idea. Subwoofer needs are fairly low and I was thinking having something small in the ceiling would be a decent approach to allow some base without bleeding into the basement. We'd never have it fully booming. Probably not even half-booming.

One thing I was kind of hoping for was having ceiling subwoofers that could be hard-wired into house electrical. Can't seem to find anything like that. Does it exist or is there a terrible reason why this shouldn't exist?

I'm considering the following
  • Klipsch IC-SW-8T2 -- looking at the manual it kind of looks like it could be hardwired, but not sure
  • Paradigm PCS-80R but the X300 is super expensive and overkill for a single subwoofer

Also finding it really hard to find reviews on in-ceiling subwoofers. Doesn't look like this is a common option for people!

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I don't think it will matter if it's in the ceiling or on the floor. Low hertz sub frequencies can carry through walls or floors up to 30 or 40 feet. You might just go with an in-room/on-floor subwoofer and try to limit base frequencies that travel through walls by using an LFC (Low Frequency Containment) type setting (that's what it's called in the Denon AVR's anyway).

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Get a regular sub and put a SubDude or SVS Isolation Feet under it. Place it close to your seats, so you can run it at the lowest possible gain, while still enjoying a sub experience. A ceiling sub will be expensive, perform poorly, and there is no guarantee that it won't actually be worse for your downstairs neighbors.

Rythmik L12 would be a good choice. Another would be the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. If you need to go cheap, then the Infinity R12 is a good deal now and a pretty good performer (order direct from Infinity web site).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with a small 10" self-powered subwoofer. It's a 240W Klipsch RP-10SW. It's about 50% as powerful as one of my old subwoofers so downsizing to 25% of prior subwoofer levels. Didn't crank it at all and it sounded nice, and also maxed out the LFE. Priority is on mitigating floor vibrations. I might raise it onto padded foam. Still need to finish installing the remaining 6 speakers. Currently at a 5.1 setup :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts