AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I noticed that new hdcp 2.2 compliant receivers are finally popping up, first Pioneer VSX-45 and now Yamaha RX-V479, but I just realized RX-V379 is also hdcp 2.2 and only at $250.

I've been in the market for a new receiver and I almost bought Sony's DH550 which is last gen, and the newer ones did not come out in 5 series (no 560 yet) . I think 479 sounds great on paper with 6 HDMI inputs and BT+Wifi+LAN.
I read some negative reviews on Yamahas before, but how are they nowadays?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody?
I need to pick a new AVR pretty soon.

·
Registered
742 Posts
A friend picked up the RX-V677 last year and it's great for the price. Sounds great and does a nice job all around. I imagine the new models will be even better. I have a older RX-A2000 that's currently not being used as I recently upgraded to a new Onkyo as I alternate between Yamaha & Onkyo myself whenever I'm in the market for a new receiver. I've had nothing but quality from both brands. You'd be well served with the new Yamaha AVR

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been wanting to get the older one but lack if hdcp 2.2 sort of worries me, just in case I need it later on. So it's either older ones for $250 with fewer HDMI ports or newer ones for $400-$450 with hdcp 2.2 and more HDMI ports.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BTW, the 379, 479, 579 only have 1 HDCP 2.2 HDMI input. The 679 and 779 have 3. Could make a big difference if you want to have both a 4K cable box and a 4K blu-ray player down the road!

If you're looking at the VSX-45, take a look at the Pioneer 830 also, as it's $50 less and has almost all of the VSX-45's features.

Personally, I'm going through the same decision process with regards to HDCP 2.2. I don't need it now but wonder if I'll want it later. I don't see myself getting a 4K TV in the next few years, so I'm leaning towards saving the money now with a 2014 model on clearance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, the 379, 479, 579 only have 1 HDCP 2.2 HDMI input. The 679 and 779 have 3. Could make a big difference if you want to have both a 4K cable box and a 4K blu-ray player down the road!

If you're looking at the VSX-45, take a look at the Pioneer 830 also, as it's $50 less and has almost all of the VSX-45's features.

Personally, I'm going through the same decision process with regards to HDCP 2.2. I don't need it now but wonder if I'll want it later. I don't see myself getting a 4K TV in the next few years, so I'm leaning towards saving the money now with a 2014 model on clearance.
My 52" Bravia TV is 8 years old, so whenever this dies (hopefully not soon) next TV will be 3D 4K, and I believe I've been spoiled by my current Sony receiver lasting over 12+ yrs, which is why I wanted to get something that can still function 5-6 yrs later and be compatible with whatever I have by then.

Great point on number of hdcp compliant inputs, I never thought of this, I always thought it's all or nothing, this totally changes the situation. Considering 679 starts at $600-$650, I think I'll go back to VSX-45, because $600 is not something I would spend, plus I don't need 7.2. Perhaps, if it comes to a point where I have to decide, I'd still go with the cheaper 1-hdcp2.2 input and just send the other directly to TV, but then you'd argue if I can send one to TV, why not send all others (if there is ever a situation with hdcp 2.2) and just send the audio to AVR. Is this possible with hdcp 2.2 compliant video sources? Can audio and video be split like this? (hoping those devices has Toslink output)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had purchased the RX-V379 a few weeks ago. I found the quality of audio unexceptable and returned it for a Onkyo. The V379 lacked power to play good quality stereo. I had no complaints with the rest of the receiver, and surround sound was decent. The features all worked well and hdmi switching was a breeze.

I'd recommend you look at soundandvision.com and see if the model you are interested has been reviewed. They do a bench test that shows true output for each channel.

When I compared the V379 to Onkyo NR737 the 2 channel output was 70 watts to 114 watts.

Yamaha makes nice stuff, but you need to get a model that puts out enough power IMO

·
Registered
142 Posts
The VSX-45 looks pretty good, 3 HDCP 2.2 inputs on that one. My current setup is 5.1, so I was thinking of picking that up, but then got into researching Atmos/DTS:X and wondered whether I would upgrade my speaker config at some point too :)D). Receivers with one or both of those sound formats are just hitting the market and at a higher price point.

Another more bare-bones option like the 377 is Denon's AVR-S510BT which should be out soon and seems to suggest 3 inputs with HDCP 2.2.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
I had purchased the RX-V379 a few weeks ago. I found the quality of audio unexceptable and returned it for a Onkyo. The V379 lacked power to play good quality stereo. I had no complaints with the rest of the receiver, and surround sound was decent. The features all worked well and hdmi switching was a breeze.

I'd recommend you look at soundandvision.com and see if the model you are interested has been reviewed. They do a bench test that shows true output for each channel.

When I compared the V379 to Onkyo NR737 the 2 channel output was 70 watts to 114 watts.

Yamaha makes nice stuff, but you need to get a model that puts out enough power IMO
First the Yamaha is their bottom of the line AVR comparable to the Onkyo 5 series and is about half the MSRP of the 737.

Second that extra 44 watts will get you about 1-1.5db increase. Barely enough to be audible.

Third- 99% of the time you're speakers are likely drawing less than 5 watts unless you're always listening at -5db and up.

Unless the power source can easily double the output of the other the power rating is a pretty unimportant part of the whole package.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes the yamaha is their entry level. I am saying this strictly so person understands if they are expecting great sound they might be disappointed.

Your comments regarding actual sound might be great on paper, however they do not hold up in audio world. Not in cars, boats or home threater equipment, rms watts is a key factor. If the reciever can't put out enough power to drive your speakers, you won't be happy.

In stereo mode, the v379 did NOT drive my speakers and I had little bass output. This was not exceptable to me. Does yamaha make comparable recievers the Onkyo 737, yes. Unfortunately the place I bought it did not have an hdcp 2.2 yamaha model better than v379, so I ended up with the Onkyo 737.

Point is, for my use and expectations the v379 was severally underpowered. Buyer beware on entry level equipment from any manufacture. And yes I am a Yamaha fan and the Onkyo 737 drives my yamaha ns-a 636 speakers, with 8" woofers to a level I am now happy with.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Yes the yamaha is their entry level. I am saying this strictly so person understands if they are expecting great sound they might be disappointed.

Your comments regarding actual sound might be great on paper, however they do not hold up in audio world. Not in cars, boats or home threater equipment, rms watts is a key factor. If the reciever can't put out enough power to drive your speakers, you won't be happy.

In stereo mode, the v379 did NOT drive my speakers and I had little bass output. This was not exceptable to me. Does yamaha make comparable recievers the Onkyo 737, yes. Unfortunately the place I bought it did not have an hdcp 2.2 yamaha model better than v379, so I ended up with the Onkyo 737.

Point is, for my use and expectations the v379 was severally underpowered. Buyer beware on entry level equipment from any manufacture. And yes I am a Yamaha fan and the Onkyo 737 drives my yamaha ns-a 636 speakers, with 8" woofers to a level I am now happy with.
Maybe there was something wrong with the setup on the Yamaha.

My AVR is rated at 45 watts/channel and I get plenty of bass out of my RF62s. I can drive myself out of the room if I want. Much louder than I care to listen to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your speakers are rated to handle 125 rms, you are severelying under powered. Nothing wrong with the setup, yes it would also play loud enough to drive me out of the room. I think you'd be surprised if you put proper power to those speakers, they would come alive.

I want full sound with great bass at lower volumes. This is only possible with proper power driving speakers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, sound power aside, does the 379 have all other basics cover? I assume it doesn't have analog to digital upscale?
I am not really trying to drive huge speakers, they are just small "Satellite" 100W speakers from my old Sony system and I have a subwoofer so bass is not an issue with speakers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not sure what "basics" you're looking for, but the 379 is about as basic as it gets! It plays 5.1 =)

Features you might miss that you'd get on a higher range model:
- ethernet (airplay/pandora/spotify)
- component input (479 dropped it too actually)
- analog-->HDMI conversion (have to go up a few price brackets for this)
- remote IR plug (usually on the high-end lines like Aventage/Elite)
- USB ports (no playing MP3s from a drive that you plug into the front or powering anything USB in the rear)
- Advanced sound optimization (pretty basic here)
- Atmos/DTS:X

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Bought a RX-V477 last year and am extremely happy with it. Because of that I wasn't aware that the RX-Vx79 series had appeared until I saw this thread. For grins, I took a look at the rear panels of the 477 vs. the 479 to see if there was any increased connectivity. Instead of any additions (e.g., more HDMI connections) I see that component video has now been deleted, along with DC Out and the AV Out. Guess I'm just showing my age in mourning the demise of legacy I/O. After all, one of my systems is still using a transcoding/upscaling Sony STR-DG1000 that has all the audio/video I/O one might need (only 2 HDMI inputs, though). Oh well, I guess that's progress. :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what "basics" you're looking for, but the 379 is about as basic as it gets! It plays 5.1 =)

Features you might miss that you'd get on a higher range model:
- ethernet (airplay/pandora/spotify)
- component input (479 dropped it too actually)
- analog-->HDMI conversion (have to go up a few price brackets for this)
- remote IR plug (usually on the high-end lines like Aventage/Elite)
- USB ports (no playing MP3s from a drive that you plug into the front or powering anything USB in the rear)
- Advanced sound optimization (pretty basic here)
- Atmos/DTS:X
Pretty much all the basics that 379 covers, with addition of hdcp 2.2 however one thing that I consider a valuable feature of any AVR is the upconversion from analog to HDMI which would totally eliminate any direct connection to my TV. Is that overrated? Does it work properly with those units that feature this?
Re: USB port, to be honest I am very surprised, I thought USB port was pretty much standard by now, I can't believe the manufacturers are taking away core functions of budget receivers just to comply with hdcp 2.2 knowing that consumers wouldn't probably buy higher end ones if lower ones had USB.

Ethernet is also another thing that was available in $250 level units in the past.
Does 379 and 479 use discrete amps or is it just a board with small resistors/transistors on it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought a RX-V477 last year and am extremely happy with it. Because of that I wasn't aware that the RX-Vx79 series had appeared until I saw this thread. For grins, I took a look at the rear panels of the 477 vs. the 479 to see if there was any increased connectivity. Instead of any additions (e.g., more HDMI connections) I see that component video has now been deleted, along with DC Out and the AV Out. Guess I'm just showing my age in mourning the demise of legacy I/O. After all, one of my systems is still using a transcoding/upscaling Sony STR-DG1000 that has all the audio/video I/O one might need (only 2 HDMI inputs, though). Oh well, I guess that's progress. :D :D
Another surprise here, looking at back of the units, you'd think 477 is the newer model with add'l inputs/outputs! At least they kept the USB in the front.

Component was actually important for me because my sat receiver doesn't have HDMI output, however is component really that necessary if you have to switch inputs on both TV & AVR? Or did 477 pass analog to HDMI without upscaling? Is there even any AVR that does this? I don't think so, I was always curious why did those units have Component inputs?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another member, ellebob mentioned here that units made in Malaysia have better reliability and quality compared to units made in China.
Does anyone know where these Yamaha's are being made?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I read at one point that the 377 is made in China and the 477 and above are made in Malaysia. Not sure if that trend is continued in the *79 series.

Ethernet seems to be something that you mostly find on the tier above the $250-level receivers (like the 479/477, etc). Personally, I would think that functionality is worth paying for so that the receiver can play internet radio and use Airplay. The 379 has bluetooth, so you can essentially use that to stream something like Pandora off of your phone, but bluetooth is limited in connection quality and range.

If component inputs are necessary for you because of your sat receiver, you could run the video ‎YPbPr cables to the TV directly and run the audio through the receiver. Pretty sure none of these units pass analog video through HDMI (upscaled or not)--you need a receiver with the conversion for that. If you look at the 477, you can see it has component out also.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I read at one point that the 377 is made in China and the 477 and above are made in Malaysia. Not sure if that trend is continued in the *79 series.

Ethernet seems to be something that you mostly find on the tier above the $250-level receivers (like the 479/477, etc). Personally, I would think that functionality is worth paying for so that the receiver can play internet radio and use Airplay. The 379 has bluetooth, so you can essentially use that to stream something like Pandora off of your phone, but bluetooth is limited in connection quality and range.

If component inputs are necessary for you because of your sat receiver, you could run the video ‎YPbPr cables to the TV directly and run the audio through the receiver. Pretty sure none of these units pass analog video through HDMI (upscaled or not)--you need a receiver with the conversion for that. If you look at the 477, you can see it has component out also.
If they make it to display or at least to BB stores, we can always check them. Any idea when 579 and above will be available? They don't have ETA on any online store.

I think ethernet will be a requirement for most buyers sooner or later, anything without ethernet is mostly considered just bottom of the line and bare bones anyway, online radio is worth alone getting the AVR with Ethernet, not to mention other benefits.

Yes, I understand that in a unit without component inputs you would just split the audio and video feeds to respective units (tv/avr) but in units with component inputs, what is the purpose of that? They don't upscale, and like you said they don't pass through either, so what's the point, really? Do they actually pass the video through one of the other outputs? For example when you have 2 composites and 1 component input, is it possible that it passes all 3 through component out? I wonder if I should start a new thread on this discussion. It seems like having (or looking for a unit with) component inputs is really pointless, unless it does analog-to-digital from component & composite.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts