AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Please share any recommendations you may have for a 2.0 or 2.1 powered desktop speaker system. Budget is loosely around $200.

I've been using a pair of Infinity P152s with an integrated amp, but this takes up too much desk space and is overkill in my very small office. I can never crank the volume anyway, and I use headphones about half the time. I want something smaller and powered that is not going to make me cringe like the older Yamaha 2.1 multimedia speaker system that I tried; it seemed to have no midrange and painfully shrill highs. I don't expect reference quality, but I'd like a balanced reproduction of the top, middle, and some bass.

I've been exploring the Audioengine 2s and the comparable powered monitors from M-Audio. I'm concerned about the lack of bass extension / distortion (buying the Audioengine sub is out of the budget), and I'm not not thrilled about a rear volume control. I've looked at some Swans and would also appreciate any thoughts on those.

Anyway, I'm open to trying anything within budget, new or used. I was even looking at the HK Soundsticks II, and I cruised Best Buy and another local B&M to no avail.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid /forum/post/18275509

Klipsch Promedia 2.1

There are a lot of posts questioning reliability. You haven't had any problems?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I found the A2s to be very overrated.

I'd try some powered monitors from Sweetwater or Sam Ash. Lots of choices

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/18276024

There are a lot of posts questioning reliability. You haven't had any problems?

To be honest, yes one the channels went dead but the sound quality was pretty good for the price. They were replaced with Blue Sky EXO 2.1 which were way better but out of your price range.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid /forum/post/18276662

To be honest, yes one the channels went dead but the sound quality was pretty good for the price. They were replaced with Blue Sky EXO 2.1 which were way better but out of your price range.

Appreciate that! Incidentally, when I was at Best Buy, one of the channels was out on the Promedia floor display as well. Not encouraging.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/18277272

Appreciate that! Incidentally, when I was at Best Buy, one of the channels was out on the Promedia floor display as well. Not encouraging.

Surprised they haven't sorted out those issues. If I were looking a desktop system for under $200 I'd definitely consider the M-Audio AV40. The reviews seem to indicate pretty good audio quality. I like that it has volume control and headphone jack on the front.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht /forum/post/18276223

I found the A2s to be very overrated.

I'd try some powered monitors from Sweetwater or Sam Ash. Lots of choices

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please tell me how you like / dislike your desktop speaker system, or otherwise, share any ideas you might have.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Look at Swans, Audioengine and M-Audio.

OK nevermind. I didn't fully read through your thread earlier. Reread and saw these already considered, ooops.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane /forum/post/18281949

Look at Swans, Audioengine and M-Audio.

OK nevermind. I didn't fully read through your thread earlier. Reread and saw these already considered, ooops.

That's cool. Appreciate the thoughts

Anyone tried these and want to share impressions?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, after lots of research and listening to my current setup, I don't think I'll be satisfied with a downsize at this budget. My Primus 150s go to 58Hz, which doesn't leave me wanting a sub. There are some smaller options that go to 80Hz (as little bass extension as I'd want), but I'd need a sub, too, and I'd give up a lot of funtionality with the integrated amp--multiple inputs, remote volume control, headphone out.

An expensive upgrade (that doesn't save much speaker space) would be the JBL Pro LSR2325P, but I'd need the accessory controller, too.

Otherwise, I could save a lot of desk space by flipping my separate amp and cd player into, for example, the Cambridge Audio One mini system.

Anyway, thanks to those who posted for all the ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Even though you don't need it anymore, I'll put my suggestion up anyway.

I've been happy with my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 set. My father has the ProMedia 2.1 and hasn't had any problems with it; he's had it for about 2 years.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/18299537

Even though you don't need it anymore, I'll put my suggestion up anyway.

I've been happy with my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 set. My father has the ProMedia 2.1 and hasn't had any problems with it; he's had it for about 2 years.

Thank you

Does the Logitech 2.1 you have reproduce the midrange? That's my main concern with the multimedia 2.1 systems.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It does as good as you'd expect drivers that small to do. My only complaints would be that the bass can get a little boomy if you set the sub volume too high and that the highs aren't crystal clear (due to no tweeters in the sats), but for a

1 - 15 of 15 Posts