AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I'd like some feedback on people's experiences of what seems to be the best receiver for use with an HTPC right now. I'm in the market and I'm partial to ATI video cards and Yamaha receivers but I've read here that there is a problem right now between ATI video cards and some Yamaha and Onkyo receivers where audio is lost over HDMI due to malformed EDID info. I would really hate to shell out a bunch of money for a fancy new receiver and find myself stuck in such a predicament.

As for the specs, I'd like to have 4 HDMI inputs, Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio support which of course implies 1080p and HDMI 1.3 and I'd like for it to have pretty good upscaling on the standard def inputs. And of course it should work flawlessly with ATI video cards, audio and all. Any recommendations? TIA.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The higher end Onkyos from last year should fit the bill. Look into the 805, 875, 905 and 975, although the last one may be overkill.

I love my Yamaha rx-v663, but as you know there are currently some issues there, for which I'm eagerly awaiting a resolution.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use two Onkyo 805 receviers for 2 separate HTPC setups (one is attached to the Sage Extender via HDMI, the other to my main HTPC--audio via SPDIF and video from an Nvidio 8600GT DVI-> HDMI adapter). It also worked great with my older Nvidia 7600GT video card. I've never had an HDMI/HDCP handshake issue with the receiver (maybe I am just lucky). I've connected cable boxes, DVD players and multiple TV's via HDMI--they have always connected without a glitch and worked great.

I think the street price for an $805 is +/- $600 now. Great receiver for the money.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've been seeing the same recommendations for Onkyo since at least this time last year if not before. They must be doing something right.

I'd be willing to try an Onkyo but have been a Denon fan up to now and am used to them (ie familiar interface, design etc).

I presume Denon has comparable receivers to the Onkyo models mentioned, anybody have any experience with them with respect to use with HTPC common video cards and good HDMI/HDCP compatibility etc.?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I presume Denon has comparable receivers to the Onkyo models mentioned, anybody have any experience with them with respect to use with HTPC common video cards and good HDMI/HDCP compatibility etc

I have heard there are issues with ATI and Denon as well. i am in the same predicament with the Denon AVR2308ci. Wondering which way is the best way to get multi chanel LPCM via HDMI into this receiver.

Craig

·
Registered
214 Posts
I love my Harmon Kardon, but it is a HK AVR-247, which is 720p.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Stay away from Yamaha for use with a computer. Trust me I am the biggest Yamaha “HONK” ever but my RX-V663 is giving fits with my computer. Try the new Pioneer 1018. I have not heard any problems with it and a computer. However, it is relatively new so it might be too early to tell.

Personally, I don’t have any problem with ATI. I think their products are better than Nvidia but that is just my own personal experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have heard that most if not all of the Onkyo's/Integra's suffer from a delay in the video display when the resolutions change. Like what happens when you are watching TV and commercials come on, or playing video games. Is this true, and if so to what degree (length of delay)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts