AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of tiki furniture from the 1950s. Part of this set was a large media cabinet which served as an enclosure for a record player, radio, and stereo speakers.

My current project is to restore the media functionality of this cabinet (pictures below). My plan is to replace the record player/radio with a modern AVR. This is the easy part.

The hard part, for me, is updating the speakers. I've never built DIY speakers before. I've started to read some tutorials online but they seem to focus on building cabinets. But in this case, I already have the cabinet built.

I would really appreciate any recommendations or advice from some of the more experienced folks on this forum.

The approximate dimensions for the two speaker cabinets in the enclosure are as follows:
H - 19 and 1/4"
W - 18 and 5/8"
L - 9" (though perhaps could be extended to 15"

As seen in the pictures below, I still haven't removed the old drivers. My approximation of the diameters of the three drivers:
Biggest Driver - 8 and 3/4"
Middle Driver - 5.5"
Smallest Driver - 2.5"

What should I plan to do? What do I need to buy? I'm really at the very beginning of my planning here, so any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to taking my first steps into this hobby.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
First off you need to find out what ohms they are if your going to use the same amp that came in it. A lot of the times they used 16ohm setups
Also you may be better off finding a two way coaxial speaker. You can find them as large as a 15” down to a 4”. Or even a full range driver. Depending on what type of playing you will be doing. The size of the box looks good for one of the Dayton audio ( from parts express) diy speaker projects. Minus the speaker box. Most of the time they only come with the drivers and crossovers in a parts form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply, hessc50.

I am planning to purchase a modern amp and will install it into the enclosure, between the two speaker cabinets.

May I ask why you recommended a 2-way setup instead of a 3-way? It would be satisfying to use all three of the holes that are already in the cabinet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I only said a two way because then you could use the said speakers in the other post
I would make a new motor board and the crossover would be much easier to make
With it being so low down to the floor and not being able to slant it backwards for better sound. So no sense using a 3 way and spending more money. I would make a down firing 10” sub in the middle for the audio cabinet. Then you can focus using a two way left and right to achieve better sound and had the sub down firing in the middle to hand everything from 120 Hz and lower
Remember, this is not a earth shattering sound system, just a easy listening system for the end of day cool down or for a gathering of people hanging around and talking and not being drowned it out by an overpowering system. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
Step 0 = welcome to the DIY rabbit hole.

Step 1= figure out a budget. No point in getting $1500 suggestions on a $150 budget.

Step 2 = assess your wood working capabilities and who you can volunteer to help you. This can be a really cool project if you have access to wood shop and can do things like cut a new baffle board and change the cabinet depth with little trouble.

Step 3 = decide on what level of performance you want from the system. Note that this is directly related to answers to # 1 and #2 . You can get from cheesy desktop radio to rock-the-house performance depending on budget and skills.

Step 4 = plan to do lots of reading and note taking for best results. Remember that that the Y in DIY means your results are directly related to your effort.

That said, you have a couple of really broad options to consider:

1 - drop replacement drivers into existing holes and go. Probably not a viable option...since 8" 3-ways are a bit unusual...8" 2-way designs are common and a good place to start.

2- cut out the baffle board and stick a pair of used but decent speakers in the cabinet. Most sane people would do this...;)

3 - patch the holes and install a pair of 8" ceiling/wall speakers or some 6x9 car speakers. This the way to go if all you have is a coping saw, duct tape, and a 6-pack :D Figure out how to add a sub and this is probably the low-budget no woodshop winner.

4 - find Craigslist 3-way speakers and somehow transplant the drivers to a new baffle board and modify existing cabs as needed. Good luck ;) Killer solution if you get really lucky on the transplant parts.

4 - Convert each cabinet into a 2-way with subwoofer. This required building an enclosure for the 2-way speaker inside the main cabinet which is mostly used for the sub. Not cheap. Not easy. Potentially awesome.

good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
How much cash will you spend? I would gut the console, pick a 2 way kit, stick it in the console, and enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts