Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I currently own a NEC XG110LC CRT and am thinking about D-ILA again. Some of my CRT pals might be shocked at this since I have already owned a G1000 and it was less than a satisfying ownership experience--particularly where Dilard and the image quality of this projector were concerned.

I really don't want to discuss my dissatisfaction with Dilard and the G1000's picture. If I buy another D-ILA it will go to William Phelps for calibration. I have sent an email to him asking him to what extent calibration will address my complaints about the picture. I'm still waiting to hear back from him but I am sure he will answer.

You might be wondering why I am considering another D-ILA after having owned one already and was less than impressed. It's a valid question. My problem is room size. I have a 14 x 12 foot room, and I will not ceiling mount the CRT (though I will ceiling mount a D-ILA). It is currently mounted on a nice coffee table at the rear center of the room. This means that I sit off axis, which really is not a big deal to me. I' using a matte screen. My problem is the real estate given up for the CRT. I would love to get that real estate back and put a chair there which would put me on-axis in rear center of the room. It would also allow me to have a couple of guests in the room. Right now it really is a home theater for one--two if I want to sit in an uncomfortable chair next to the projector.

This brings me to another problem that I had with the G1000 I previously owned: throw distance. I can achieve a maximum of 13' throw. With the G1000 that put me outside the throw range of the zoom lens and I could not fill my 80" wide screen. This is the problem for which I need advice. I know some of you are using an anamorphic lens such as the ISCOII and Panamorph. I know that the ISCO expands the image horizontally, thus shortening throw distance.

Will this work in my situation given the facts? Will my short throw result in a lot of pincushion distortion? Lastly, and forgive my ignorance of how these lenses work, I watch a mixed bag of 2.35:1 and 1.77:1 films using a 1.77:1 screen. Is there a specifc product for this?

If I can get around these issues and I get a positive response from William Phelps then I will be on the look out for another D-ILA. This almost makes me sorry I sold the last one I had. But my frustrations with that projector and Dilard got to the point where getting a good picture out of a CRT was child's play by comparison. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Jermome,

Except for the lamp power - there's not much difference between your old G1000 and the current G-series D-ILAs.

Although the JVC published specs for the G-series zoom states a zoom range of 2.1 to 3.1 - the actual throw ratios

are more like 1.9 to 2.9.

In your case, you have an 80" screen. The ISCO II will expand the image hozizontally by 1.33. Therefore, in order

for the expanded image to be 80", the D-ILA has to throw an unexpanded image of 60" [ 80/1.33 = 80*0.75 = 60].

Your throw is 13' = 156". Therefore the throw ratio with the ISCO II in place will be 156"/60" = 2.6 which is within

the range of the D-ILA's zoom.

Yes - there will be pincushion distortion with the ISCO II given these parameters. How objectionable it will be is up

to you. It'll be a little like watching a curved screen.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I'm not sure what to make of your comment regarding pincushion. It sounds like you're suggesting it will be pretty severe. Then again, it's hard to quantify "a little like watching a curved screen."

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga
Thanks for responding. I'm not sure what to make of your comment regarding pincushion. It sounds like you're suggesting it will be pretty severe. Then again, it's hard to quantify "a little like watching a curved screen."

--Jerome
Jerome,

As I recall from my setup phase - I had about 5% pincushion - that is the difference in height in the middle vs. the

sides was about 5% - but that was at the long end [ 2.9 ] end of the zoom.

The pincushion gets worse as you go toward the short end of the zoom. So you will have a worse than 5% pincushion at

an effective throw ratio of 2.6

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Jerome wrote:
I really don't want to discuss my dissatisfaction with Dilard...
Jerome,

This is the very first time I have heard about your dissatisfaction.

The only other time I heard from you it was to see if you could get a free license if the previous projector owner had one.

You know, it is possible that if I had known of whatever it is you are referring to, I might have been able to offer some assistance. I have a toll-free support line, web-based support forms, and [email protected] open just about all hours of the day and night.

Mark

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Sorry, Jerome. My mistake.

I forgot about the Dilard Forum, which you have used. My fault.

I will leave the previous post for informational purposes.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark:

No criticism of you was intended. I thought you were very gracious in providing a free license from the previous owner. Because of that I did not think it was appropriate to constantly pester you with the problems I was having. So I used the Immersive forum for help up until the point where my patience just simply ran out.

To everyone else:

Having said that, it is looking like another D-ILA might be out of the picture anyway judging from Gregory's post about the pincushion problem--I could probably live with 5%, but more than that might be problematic for me.

That's too bad. I think a D-ILA (if it could be calibrated to my satisfaction) offers the best chance there is to get that CRT out of the room. It looks like I will be stuck for the forseeable future.

Other ideas, anyone? What about a fixed short throw (I see these up for sale from time to time)?

--Jerome

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Jerome, what kind of money are you wanting to spend? PF has reported that the new Runco VX1000c is by far the best digital (the only digital in his opinion) that can compete with, or bettter in some aspects, a CRT.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi John,

Well, I'm not willing to part with $17,000, that's for sure. The reason I am giving D-ILA a second look is because of all the digitals I have owned and seen it is the one with the most promise--but from my last experience it was promise unfulfilled.

The other thing I have to contend with is the room dimensions and throw distance. I know this is a problem. Sitting 10 or 11 feet back from a 80" wide screen is pretty much going to be a problem with any digital projector save a D-ILA.

I'm not expecting a CRT-like image. IMO, no digital projector can do that--period. I am willing to give up a little bit of image quality to reclaim some space.

--Jerome

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I had the same issues so I understand completely. One of the main reasons I added the ISCO was to shorten the throw of an already short throw projector. I have pincusion distortion but mask to minimize, here's a photo of the amount without the top and bottom masking.

http://www.msnusers.com/MilleEmporiu...oto&PhotoID=79

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi John,

Thanks for the screenshot. I didn't even think about masking.

--Jerome

·
Registered
183 Posts
Keep in mind that the screenshots from Wireless are from an LT150 which has a fixed throw ratio of ~ 1.6. Your setup would have a much longer throw ratio of 2.6 and should have significantly less pincusioning. The masked image looks quite good, so I'd certainly be happy with a masked image from a Dila and ISCO II.

Incidently, I'm looking at an almost identical setup. I have a G10 with an ISCO II on the way. I'll be projecting an 86" wide image from about 13.5'.

I also just ordered Dilard, so hopefully my experiences are better.

-jp

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JP,

Thanks for chiming in. Please let me know how you make out with your setup.

That's only one part of it, though, as far as I am concerned. The other part will depend a great deal on what William Phelps says in answer to my questions about the calibration.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by jsaliga:

"I'm not sure what to make of your comment regarding pincushion. It sounds like you're suggesting it will be pretty severe. Then again, it's hard to quantify 'a little like watching a curved screen.' "

I use an Isco I lens with my Dukane 9015 D-ILA, which must produce more pincushioning than what I imagine the Isco II lens does.

It really doesn't bother me as the curved screen *effect* remains highly watchable and doesn't detract from the viewing experience, imho...

-THTS

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
my previous setup was a dila g11 with isco2 and htpc

throw distance was 13-14 ft with masking. i was projecting

on the wall at an angle so it definitely was not perfect on

the sides. but that didn't matter because of the masking.

my image was about 105" and i thought it was fantastic

at 80'' you are going to love it . imho.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Was wondering if anyone has tried compensating for the pincushioning created by the ISCO lens with slight curve in the screen. Bending the ends out toward the projector should straigten the picture out.

If you are looking at a 5% increase in height at the ends of the screen vs. the center, it would follow, I think, that a 5% reduction in throw would correct for this. So if you have a throw of 14ft, knocking about 8 inches off the throw of the ends by bending them out, should work.

When my ISCO shows up, I'll give it a try.

Any done this or know a good reason why it won't work?

-jp

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jerome,

I have a G11, 13' throw, 96" wide dalite matte, Dilard and Isco II. There is some pincushion, but the PQ is good enough to make it seem to disappear.

It's a long haul, if you ever get down this way you're welcome to see my setup. Send me a PM.

-David

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
David,

Thanks ever so much for the offer. I think I will be taking you up on it.

You have a PM.

--Jerome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.