AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my current issue. I am in need of a receiver upgrade and want to stay less than a thousand, but the closer I get to a thousand it will effect my subwoofer purchase. My room is 13 x 16 and I have a few options narrowed down:

Option 1:

Marantz 6003

SVS PB12-NSD

Option 2:

Yamaha RX-V 3800

SVS PB12-NSD

Option 3:

HK AVR254

Emotiva UPA7

BIC H100

I am also open to other suggestions in the same price range. I have contemplated the HSU VT-F2 as well. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This room is used for 90% movies 10% sports.

Thanks......

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You don't mention what speakers you're powering but assuming they don't require any special amounts of power and being in a relatively small-medium sized room....I would definitely rule out the third option. Don't buy a more expensive receiver and/or amp and leave yourself with a low end subwoofer.

I would definitely go with option 1 myself.

The PB-12NSD is one of the best bang for your buck subwoofers made imo. It will have some serious impact in your room, especially for HT. Definitely keep it in your list of things to purchase!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I left out the speakers. I am powering old Boston CR series speakers at the moment. They sound great to me and the old Yamaha pushes them very well. My only problem was my old sub died and I am in need of an upgraded receiver. I was hesitant with the new lower end Yamahas and was looking into other options.

Thanks for the info. I was really wanting to get a high quality subwoofer and not regret it later, but I feel the same about the receiver.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Well, it really does depend alot on what components you'll be hooking up to it too. You can find good deals on receivers that will work well for less than $1000 that's for sure...probably closer to $500. Think of it this way...almost all of your SQ will come from your speakers and sub. If you have enough connectivity with any given receiver and it has enough power for you then it will work just fine. I'm also assuming you don't need much video processing.

You're better off spending more money on your subwoofer and maybe some room treatments than spending more on a receiver that won't do anything more for you than a less expensive model.

I have seen alot of people hesitant about buying any of the new lower end receivers because they dropped so much in weight etc. I think you're better off buying a model from last year, they will likely have more power and also come at a very good discount.

Check out the Pioneer Elite SC-05 or even the VSX-03. Check out the Onkyo TX-SR806/706. There are some good deals around.....

I do like the Marantz receiver you listed but it's likely overkill. You could probably do just fine with the 5003.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'd go with an AVR and the better sub at first... you can always add amplification later if necessary. I'd also add the Onkyo SR876 to that list. Superior bench-tested power along with top notch video scaling (Reon HQV) and ISF input calibration. I'm not a fan of the SR706/806... their video processing is poorly implemented and not defeatable, and the SR806 has downgraded power-supply, amplification, DACs, and Audyssey version compared to the older SR805. Refurb SR805s can still be had for the same price as refurb SR806s. The SR805 shares everything but video processing with the SR875/SR876.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16930759

I'd go with an AVR and the better sub at first... you can always add amplification later if necessary. I'd also add the Onkyo SR876 to that list. Superior bench-tested power along with top notch video scaling (Reon HQV) and ISF input calibration. I'm not a fan of the SR706/806... their video processing is poorly implemented and not defeatable, and the SR806 has downgraded power-supply, amplification, DACs, and Audyssey version compared to the older SR805. Refurb SR805s can still be had for the same price as refurb SR806s. The SR805 shares everything but video processing with the SR875/SR876.

With the projector he's using it's not likely he'll want to pay for video processing that he doesn't need. Also, I would think twice about a refurbed 805. They run extremely hot (which doesn't lend well to a receivers lifetime expectancy) and they are also very prone to having front panel display failures. This along with the fact he doesn't need anywhere close to the power the 805 delivers leaves nothing to gain by going this route imo. The 806/706 new for around the same price (if you know where to look) would be a better deal in this circumstance I'd say.

I've owned an Onkyo TX-SR805 and right now in the middle of summer I can honestly say I'm very glad it's not in my living room. The front panel on it also had to be fixed....which for those not having the skills, time or know-how can be very expensive indeed.

I really don't see how the OP needs a receiver with a reon chip considering the Projector he owns already has one. I don't see a need for one with excessive power either. Buy a receiver with pre-outs incase you want to add power down the road...and make sure it has the connectivity you need now. After that it's pretty much bells n' whistles. I like your choice for a Marantz product...

In the end, your money will definitely be more wisely spent on your subwoofer and room treatments. Those will give you better SQ far more than a more expensive receiver.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice the projector listed the first time through. That said, I'd still avoid the SR806 because of its poorly implemented and non-defeatable DCDi video processing. There's also the DAC downgrade that's worth noting. The SR805 runs warm, but that's the nature of any A/B amp with this much actual power output. I was simply making reccomendations in the same price range as the units he was inquiring about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had thought about Onkyou as well. Realistically I could spend twice what I have budgeted, I just want to blow money on other things (brewing equipment and Jeep parts). That being said, I have had my Yamaha for fifteen years with no issues. Was the RXZ11 of its time. So I am liking the Yamaha quality. I have also had lots of good luck with HK and love the sound. The Marantz was something I was willing to look into since I have had friends with great luck with their product. I have not had much luck with Onkyo though I used to install Integra and it was great. I appreciate all the ideas and will do more research before buying.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I was not impressed with the Yamaha 1700 I had a few years back. At the time, I went back to a Pioneer Elite 82TXs after having several Pioneers before the Yamaha. After that was struck by lightning, I went with the Onkyo SR805 and have been very happy. I've not seen heat issues manifest beyond the unit running a bit warmer than other AVRs I've had, but it's also the first AVR I've had that's been able to put out as much real-world measurable power. I will be honest, my front display did die, but I'd still take it over most other AVRs, especially in the price range I paid ($550). I'll eventually get the display fixed under warranty, but it's not been enough motivation given the excellent performance it provides. I don't think any of the AVRs mentioned are bad choices, I just feel like the beefier Onkyos have the edge in terms of performance for the dollar.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16932561

I was not impressed with the Yamaha 1700 I had a few years back. At the time, I went back to a Pioneer Elite 82TXs after having several Pioneers before the Yamaha. After that was struck by lightning, I went with the Onkyo SR805 and have been very happy. I've not seen heat issues manifest beyond the unit running a bit warmer than other AVRs I've had, but it's also the first AVR I've had that's been able to put out as much real-world measurable power. I will be honest, my front display did die, but I'd still take it over most other AVRs, especially in the price range I paid ($550). I'll eventually get the display fixed under warranty, but it's not been enough motivation given the excellent performance it provides. I don't think any of the AVRs mentioned are bad choices, I just feel like the beefier Onkyos have the edge in terms of performance for the dollar.

Perhaps a used Onkyo TX-SR705 would be a good buy also. I really didn't want to get rid of my 805 but it was just so huge and more power than I needed. I went for a sleeker and sexier Harman Kardon instead. I kick myself sometimes but I also did worry a bit about how long it would last running as hot as it did. If I had bought it brand new I would have had no concerns and I'd have been worry free....

I wouldn't hesitate to buy last years Yamaha models, but the Marantz SR-6003 is a fairly powerful receiver that's loaded with features and from what most owners say is great SQ.

In the end though....your system won't end up sounding much different regardless of which of these receivers you choose. I'd just make sure you get that PB-12....don't even think about the BIC-H100!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts