AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys, I originally posted these questions in the HC7900DW owners thread but it quickly got lost in there so thought I'd make my own thread.

I'm hoping for some quick guidance on the optimal setup for this projector in my bedroom (dimensions below). This is my first ever projector so forgive my noobness. I've read a number of threads and have had a look at the projector calculations but find it a bit confusing and I'm after the optimal set-up rather than an acceptable range.

I'm mostly concerned with the best screen size for my room /sitting position and how far back from the wall I should ceiling mount the projector (or should I just go all the way back and zoom in if necessary?).

Room dimensions (in feet) are:

H - 8.4

W - 11

L - 15.4

Seating position from wall - 14

Walls and cieling are white but I intend to cover with black fabric or something similiar. Will also have blackout curtains on the windows and will probably put a dark rug in front of the screen. It's a rental so nothing permanent.

I haven't chosen a screen yet but was thinking that a 100 or 110 inch might be the best for my setup. Probably white with a small gain.

Hesitantly considering these three screens: longhorn Lumiere , Selby or the elite . In that order. But would be interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

A secondary question that I'd like to ask is if there is a 3D emitter/glasses combo that is generally accepted to be the best buy for this projector.

Not sure if it's relevant but I'll be connecting the projector to my computer. The projector will be used for about 85 per cent movies and 15 per cent games.

Appreciate any advice the wise members of AVS can offer me.

I'll proabably have a few more questions once I start mounting and projecting but that's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Supposedly having the projector as close as possible to the screen helps with brightness.

I'm doing a 110" screen with seating 12' away - closest I can get the projector is ~11'. You could mount it above the seating area and zoom in, if it would be more convenient to have it there.

You might want a little bigger screen? I went with acoustically transparent screen, but if I didn't I was planning on getting one of these "Silver Ticket" screens from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Ticket-HDTV-16-Projector/dp/B00CYLOTPK/

The 3D glasses and emitters are being discussed in the main thread.

Matt

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think your ceiling height will be the major limiting factor in deciding the scree size.

If almost flushed with the ceiling, the projector is mounted at about 11 feet from the screen, you will get a 110" diagonal.

However, the bottom of the screen will only be about 23 inches from the floor.

Try using the calculator to find the best size for your situation.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2652.htm

If you opt for a 120" screen, the pj must be mounted almost 13 feet away, but the bottom is only 16.7" from the floor.

Mounting it almost flush with the ceiling will be a challenge also and the center speaker will be too low for proper front staging.

The HC7900 has a fixed offset and the lens shift works only in shifting the image either further down if ceiling mounted, or further upwards if table mounted.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig  /t/1524449/seeking-some-basic-advice-on-room-setup-for-my-first-projector-hc7900dw#post_24534542

Supposedly having the projector as close as possible to the screen helps with brightnesMatt

I have not mounted my 7900 yet as my 'universal' mount from my infocus, ain't so universal.. but I did stack some large boxes on the back of my couch, and placed (carefully) the 7900 on top of them just to get a peek at the picture... it was 19' from my screen research 115'' acoustically transparent screen...(0.95 gain) n watching a yankee game on hdtv , I thought it was plenty brite...

I have 10' ceilings in my bat cave, black ceiling, merlot walls, and dark carpeting... my screen is presently 24'' from the floor, and I plan to mount the pj next week at approx. 16ft, which should brighten the picture a bit more...tried using the mits pj calculator.... tooo confusing for me
i'll go with the tried and true.... trial and error method...

i bought a cheetah mount that extends down 27'' max.. n i mite have to use every inch of that 27''...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Oh yeah, A L Wong is right - I didn't realize the lens shift only shifted one direction - the calculator makes it look like it goes both ways. You could get a 120" screen if you had the projector almost on the ground!

Paris - if you want to keep the bottom of the screen at 24", the calculator says you should have a 17" drop. You could mount it higher and use lens shift, too. But it also says for 115" screen, the max projection distance is 207", you're beyond that at 19' = 228".

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig  /t/1524449/seeking-some-basic-advice-on-room-setup-for-my-first-projector-hc7900dw#post_24537943

Oh yeah,

Paris - if you want to keep the bottom of the screen at 24", the calculator says you should have a 17" drop. You could mount it higher and use lens shift, too. But it also says for 115" screen, the max projection distance is 207", you're beyond that at 19' = 228".

yea I saw that the max (suggested) distance pj/screen is 207''... i'm def going to mount at 15/16'... but like a child at xmas, when I got the pj, and the mount was not universal, I just had to see how good the picture was...hence the stacking of large empty boxes on the back of the couch with em leaning against the wall for stability... n by my eyes,the 7900 was as brite ..maybe even a tad brighter then my old infocus 7205 which is 8yrs old, with about 1000hrs on the orig bulb... at the closer distance , I think the 7900 should last until the new generation of pj's comes out...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for your input guys. That projector calculator is damned confusing. 
Quote:
 A 100" diagonal will be your best bet.
A L Wong I think you may be right about the 100" being the biggest I'll fit in my room comfortably. Although I don't think I'll be able to get the projector as flush as 1 inch with the ceiling. I'm looking at getting a Chief mini universal mount (RSMAU) which has a height of 1.8" so best case will be probably 2" from the ceiling which will make it 28.8 from the floor but I think that'll be fine. It appears that the lens shift will only drop the screen lower so that doesn't help. 

I assume that the longest and shortest (tele) calculations is the acceptable distance range for the projector and the zoom is adjusted accordingly to get the right size picture? So would it be a better/brighter image if the projector was positioned towards the shortest rather than longest distance? Alternatively, will it make much difference if I position the projector closer to the max (longest) distance as I'd prefer to have the projector closer to the back wall to make it less obtrusive. 

Quote:
 tooo confusing for me 
 i'll go with the tried and true.... trial and error method...
Like Paris401, I'll try it out against the wall to see what works before I invest in a screen. My whole PJ setup is trial and error at the moment. I'm still not even sure how best to hook it up to my computer and speakers. I've purchased an extra long HDMI and plan to run that from my SLI'd GTX 460 graphics cards (with a mini-HDMI converter) direct to the projector. And will continue to run audio through my Xonar DG soundcard to my monitors. If anyone knows of any reason why that wouldn't work or thinks there is a better way I'd like to hear it.

But for now I won't be doing anything as only a US power cord shipped with the projector and it only rated for 110V so I need to source a AUS compatible power cord before I casn even turn it on.  :(

One more thing, how do I link a quote to the person who quoted? I've just cut and pasted from their post because I couldn't work it out. So Noob. 

·
Registered
625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A L Wong  /t/1524449/seeking-some-basic-advice-on-room-setup-for-my-first-projector-hc7900dw#post_24536058

I think your ceiling height will be the major limiting factor in deciding the scree size.

If almost flushed with the ceiling, the projector is mounted at about 11 feet from the screen, you will get a 110" diagonal.

However, the bottom of the screen will only be about 23 inches from the floor.

Try using the calculator to find the best size for your situation.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2652.htm

If you opt for a 120" screen, the pj must be mounted almost 13 feet away, but the bottom is only 16.7" from the floor.

Mounting it almost flush with the ceiling will be a challenge also and the center speaker will be too low for proper front staging.

The HC7900 has a fixed offset and the lens shift works only in shifting the image either further down if ceiling mounted, or further upwards if table mounted.

Mitsubishi's calculator kinda sucks. It doesn't really show the lens shift well at all. It does go BOTH ways from the neutral position, which for a 110" screen is a ~18" offset from lens CL to top of image. So you have about 9.5" give or take to move the image.

OP, I highly recommend looking at the HC7900DW manual online. There's a section about 20 pages in or so that lists the setup parameters for a 16:9 screen. It clearly states the max/min offset you can have at a given screen size. My suggestions - get the projector as close to the ceiling as you can. I think my Monoprice mount (which works just fine BTW, it's the telescopic black one that goes to like a 24" drop or something like that) gives a ~4.5" spacing from the ceiling to the top of the projector. Some can pull it up closer, but they're significantly more expensive. Then place the projector AT LEAST 6" from the limits of the zoom range. You want to have plenty of room to play with, you don't want to place the projector to a point where you're an inch too far in and then can't get the image to fill your screen. Never go to the absolute limits of projector placement if you can help it. I have my projector at around 13.5' I think. I wanted it closer, but it worked a little better with my room and a ceiling light, so I moved it around. I wouldn't worry about the brightness. I did a quick test and the brightness didn't change much moving the projector 2' with the same image size. Nothing I could really detect.

As far as your situation, I'd go with a 110", matte white ~1.2-1.3 gain screen. That's what I've got, and I like it for my little bit oddly shaped media room (it has one leg that's about 18' x 10', then another leg that's about 6' x 7' coming off of it, projecting on the 10' wide wall, so the 110" is about all I can do). The brightness of the HC7900 is perfect with a 110" screen in low lamp mode, and 3D works out well in high lamp.

I'd also personally move closer to the screen, but that's me. At first the size is overwhelming, then you get used to it and it starts to actually look small. I sit about 9.5-10' away from my screen, it's about as far back as I'd want to be for primary viewing.

Enjoy - I really love my HC7900DW. Absolutely amazing bargain. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks RPS13, that's helpful. I'll take that into account when I'm finally able to put it up. And when I finally purchase the screen. Choosing each bit of kit as I go is slow. But hopefully it will mean less mistakes. At least I'm pretty certain now that my screen size will be minimum 100" and max 110". When my HDMI cable arrives and the mount arrives I'll be able to start experimenting.

I can't wait to get it hooked up and be blown away by this Mits. I'm currently watching movies on a 27" computer monitor so it should be a pretty dramatic difference. Just measuring it up against the wall had me triple checking the measurements and finally grinning from ear to ear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts