AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would recommend to anyone to listen to Ascend speakers. I truly believe they are some of the best speakers available from those that I have heard. However as stated before, the best speakers are those that you like the best!

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Save up for Revel "M126Be's" you will get all the benefits of the Revel with the added extension of the "sweet" treble that extends beyond 40 MHz...(beyond normal hearing of 20 MHz)... greatly extended highs (that are not bright) and are perfectly matched with warm signature Revel is known for.

40MHz? :eek:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Save up for Revel "M126Be's" you will get all the benefits of the Revel with the added extension of the "sweet" treble that extends beyond 40 MHz...(beyond normal hearing of 20 MHz)... greatly extended highs (that are not bright) and are perfectly matched with warm signature Revel is known for.
But the last I checked, I couldn't hear beyond 16khz and my wife was able to hear close to 18khz and my child was able to hear beyond 19khz.

Thats Khz and not Mhz.

Basically humans can only hear between 20hz and 20khz. At least below 20hz can be felt but I dont understand the benefit of tweeters playing beyond 20Khz. However, when I heard the Focal Beryllium tweeters, I just loved them.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Of course you can find speakers that compare to Revels. But according to Harman's propaganda, you won't see an improvement until you spend 3x the price of Revels...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
416 Posts
The extended frequency range of beryllium and ribbon tweeters etc shouldn’t be taken as there is music content beyond 20kHz and that you can hear it.
What it means is that the breakup of these tweeters is far out of the hearing band (at 40 kHz etc.) so there is no distortion within the hearing band. Leading to much less fatigue and harshness of the tweeter.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any speaker brands that beat or rival Revel?

If you didn’t like the Dynaudio sound, but liked the Revels and Focals, try Paradigm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have you heard all those speakers in your room? If the revel is your fav good for you. The opening thread just naming a brand and not model is interesting, like Revel is best and everybody else should just pack up their toys and go home, lol. If one has the time to listen to many speakers they will find not all speakers interact with all rooms the same and often 1 model will sound more natural than the others because of the synergy. These rara cheerleader threads are nothing more.

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
Impressive in a Sci Fi kind of way.

It looks like a robot being interrogated by some sinister master robot! :p

It’s tempting to describe Dynaudio’s measuring facility – Jupiter – as a secret weapon.

But it would be tough to keep such a big installation secret, particularly one with a huge robot at its heart. There are a lot of things you could do with a colossal room and a giant robot.

Build spaceships, plan world domination, that kind of thing.

We use Jupiter for something else, and it made a universe of difference when it came to designing, refining and delivering Evoke.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Of course you can find speakers that compare to Revels. But according to Harman's propaganda, you won't see an improvement until you spend 3x the price of Revels...:rolleyes:

Its a common practice for the owners of any speaker brand to claim their speakers to best even the speakers that are many times expensive. Of course the Revels are very good and they measure very well too, no denying that. But there are many other brands out there which are equally good too. Take for example the Kef Reference speakers. They sound so good and also measure very well and it does all this without using any exotic materials like "Beryllium, Diamond, Titanium, Vibranium, Adamantium or Unobtainium:wink:) They have done a great job with just Aluminium.

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
Hmmm...

These rara cheerleader threads are nothing more.
Also makes my antenna go up when I notice that the OP registered only last month and as of this writing has only 16 postings.

Just sayin' :)

Thread title is certainly clever in that it both trolls/provokes a response while conspicuously positioning one brand as superior.

Perhaps OP would earn a lot more credibility if he had bothered to at least attempt to present some rough notes about what exactly he found lacking in the other 5 speakers he says he's listened to, including some photos, which would indeed be very solid proof.

That way, if OP disappears after this thread is finished, nobody could ever accuse him of being a pop-up shill, an accusation which certain salesmen of a certain brand have accused others of being, like mpk1970 (who did provide photos galore and still continues to revisit AVS every once in a while).

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think Revel make very nice well engineered products, and I think several to many other companies do as well. Said other companies may not market thier technical capabilities to the same extent as Harman however.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My point was, if they have that facility and measure their speakers, why don't we see any of the measurements? Some would be better than none.
What if the ones that aren't published do not measure well. Kind of unethical to only publish the best and not the rest.
I also take issue that a company would claim that in listening tests (in their facilities) that their brand always won and then not list the competitive brands.
I have never seen a third party review that did not praise Dynaudio.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
What if the ones that aren't published do not measure well. Kind of unethical to only publish the best and not the rest.
I also take issue that a company would claim that in listening tests (in their facilities) that their brand always won and then not list the competitive brands.
I have never seen a third party review that did not praise Dynaudio.

Reviews without measurements are subjective and pretty much worthless to me. I tried a pair of Dynaudio professional studio monitors when I was working as a recording engineer. I didn't give them a good review and didn't buy them. That's not to say I wouldn't like other models they make, I only tried one that was the size and price range that worked for my studio and it was many years ago. I don't doubt that they use good drivers, crossovers and cabinets, I just don't know what their design philosophy is or how they measure. As I remember reading, they use first order crossovers which I find odd.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Reviews without measurements are subjective and pretty much worthless to me. I tried a pair of Dynaudio professional studio monitors when I was working as a recording engineer. I didn't give them a good review and didn't buy them. That's not to say I wouldn't like other models they make, I only tried one that was the size and price range that worked for my studio and it was many years ago. I don't doubt that they use good drivers, crossovers and cabinets, I just don't know what their design philosophy is or how they measure. As I remember reading, they use first order crossovers which I find odd.
I find it rather odd that you never mention using any speakers from the Harman family when you talk about all those years as a recording engineer.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I find it rather odd that you never mention using any speakers from the Harman family when you talk about all those years as a recording engineer.
I was the chief recording and live sound engineer for the University of Illinois School of Music from 1978-2010. I used what other professionals were using, B&W 801F (the de facto classical music studio monitor at the time), Tannoy LGM-12, ADS L730 (Jack Renner of Telarc used them), Meyer HD-1 (Roger Nichols/Steely Dan engineer), Genelec 1031A and S30D, Dunlavy SC-IV and SC-V, Lipinski L-707 and some others. Flavor of the month, lol. I heard some JBL monitors in other recording studios, but they were doing rock and pop music, I was doing classical.

I had heard of Revel but didn't consider them until after I retired. My research led me to the F208 because it was in my price range and seemed to be the best I could find based on the Stereophile review and measurements. I read several interviews with Kevin Voecks and Dr. Floyd Toole. I realized I had papers Dr. Toole had written for the Audio Engineering Society in my files. The more I learned about Dr. Toole's research and his relationship with Harman, the more I appreciated what his work has done for the science of loudspeaker design. I was posting about it on AVS and reading John Schuermann's posts. I never thought it would lead to him asking me to work for him. I retired from the U of IL in 2010 and started working for The Screening Room in 2018. I certainly never thought I would meet and get to hang out with Kevin Voecks and Floyd Toole. Those guys know more about loudspeaker design than I ever will. Thankfully, I can ask them questions and get answers any time now.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts