AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
You must be a very selective reader. ;)
the next time i see a negative review of an audio product will be the 1st time... Nothing more worthless than a gushing review about a mediocre pair of speakers..;)

Reactions: mpk1970

·
Registered
30,566 Posts

·
Registered
5,500 Posts

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Focal Aria 906
NHT C3
Dynaudio Emit M20
Dali Oberon 5
Wharfedale Evo 4.2
Revel M16

This is probably my last thread like this. These are the speakers I’ve tried out so far and the Revel’s are the best I’ve heard by a long shot. The Focal’s are really good too but those two are the only ones I really liked. Before I settle with these I’m curious if anyone has any recommendations of what could beat or at least rival the Revel’s in the price range? Just want to test a couple more. I listen mostly to folk/classical/jazz.
You have not try the better Focals. You can look for used to fit your budget. I just bought a pair used for 1/3 the MSRP.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Data point from acclaimed recording engineer and audio science enthusiest on moving from Revels to (much more expensive) Dynaudios:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-12-throwing-down-gauntlet#yHHWci7OExrpBcjC.97

Again just a single datapoint, but I do know Harman isnt the only company that believes in science and has resources, though I commend them on how well they market to us eggheads

I Personally am a completely Biased Dynaudio fanboy, the first step is admitting you have a problem I guess. The two speakers on my short list a few years ago when in the market were Salons and Confidence C4s. Two fantastic speakers really, a great problem to have. I went with the latter for a few reasons, they are built like the finest of fine furniture (I am biased AND shallow I guess), and the revels seemed to get a bit more harsh at imprudent volumes. This is the opinion I formed from listening, I am sure there are 10 harman sponsored papers detailing what I did wrong.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Monitor Audio Silver 100

Try them from Crutchfield...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Try them from Crutchfield...
My signature is incorrect Monitor Audio Silver 100 fronts plus MA for everything except Atmos...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Give Aerial Acoustics a serious listen. They have been reviewed very favorably against revel. Aerial is a very under-rated speaker brand with minimal marketing.
Aerial underrated? By whom? It's good stuff and I have no horse in this race. Two Fridays ago, in mid-June, I decided to get out of the speaker manufacturing business for the foreseeable future. So I have no ax to grind but Michael's a great designer and he makes some damn good speakers. We do have a pair of Revels at our facility in Washington state where Bob Carver is, but I have personally found some of their models to be a bit metallic. That said, I've never heard that specific model so I keep an open mind and a shut mouth. If you like 'em, buy 'em. At least we know since they are owned by Samsung, that they would survive the pandemic. I absolutely assure you that some of the brands mentioned in this thread most definitely will not.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Give Aerial Acoustics a serious listen. They have been reviewed very favorably against revel. Aerial is a very under-rated speaker brand with minimal marketing.
Aerial underrated? By whom? It's good stuff and I have no horse in this race. Two Fridays ago, in mid-June, I decided to get out of the speaker manufacturing business for the foreseeable future. So I have no ax to grind but Michael's a great designer and he makes some damn good speakers. We do have a pair of Revels at our facility in Washington state where Bob Carver is, but I have personally found some of their models to be a bit metallic. That said, I've never heard that specific model so I keep an open mind and a shut mouth. If you like 'em, buy 'em. At least we know since they are owned by Samsung, that they would survive the pandemic. I absolutely assure you that some of the brands mentioned in this thread most definitely will not.
Not sure that you understood the meaning of my post? Maybe I should’ve have used the word overlooked instead of Underrated. Aerials are excellent speakers that have lost their appeal they used to have on AVS. Over the years the discussions on these forums seem to end up with recommendations for internet direct companies and or larger companies with huge advertising budgets. Aerial doesn’t get the attention they deserve. Quite a loss for those that can afford them but have not had the chance to listen to them before buying something else.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This thread reminds me of the "How to Choose a Loudspeaker -- What the Science Shows" thread.

Reactions: MUDCAT45

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
From an old comparison test...............................

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
As I remember reading, they use first order crossovers which I find odd.
It is a different and more rare design philosophy that, I assume, is more difficult to pull off. The link of aschen's of Bob Katz is interesting and his impressions falls in line with most proponents of phase coherent loudspeakers about their openess and transparency.

I've never heard any, although the idea intrigues me. I'll bet @Kal Rubinsonhas though, and maybe he'd be willing to share his impressions.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It is a different and more rare design philosophy that, I assume, is more difficult to pull off. The link of aschen's of Bob Katz is interesting and his impressions falls in line with most proponents of phase coherent loudspeakers about their openess and transparency.

I've never heard any, although the idea intrigues me. I'll bet @Kal Rubinson has though, and maybe he'd be willing to share his impressions.

I had Dunlavy SC-V's for many years. John Dunlavy was a proponent of first order crossovers. The SC-V's were amazing, but they are huge. I never got a chance to compare them to anything in the same league. It would be interesting to A/B them to Salon2's, but I don't know if the Harman Listening Lab speaker changer can handle 330 pounds.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That would be an interesting comparison. I'm sure the brain trust at Harman has compared some types of those speakers like Dunlavys, Thiels or Vandersteens.

The step responses are very pretty, but whether that translates into real world performance is, I guess, the big, open question.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts