AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my first home theater. I don't call myself an audiophile but I hope to in the near future :)

My HT is a 15x17 foot room in the basement and will feature an Onkyo TX-NR1030 in a 5.1.4 setup.

The ceiling speakers are already in place -- four Polk MC60's.

I've tentatively selected the Fluance SXHTB+ 5-speaker system and BIC America F12 subwoofer. I'd like to know if there are better selections for the money.

(I want to keep the 5.1 speaker budget under $650, but I can go higher with a convincing argument.)

Mostly movies and sporting events, not gaming.

Advance thanks,

ted

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
+1.

Why have a $1500 AVR with a set of cheap speakers. Cheap speakers will still sound cheap no matter how much you spend on an AVR whereas good speakers will sound good no matter how little you spend on an AVR.

I realize you spent what you did in order to have a full Atmos system, but why compromise it with cheap speakers and a bargain basement sub?

Buy a good pair of mains, then save up for a good sub or two then get a matching center and finally the surrounds.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
... because nobody makes a $500 or $1000 5.1.4-channel Atmos AVR. I don't need the speakers to be any better than my ears.
Then get anything you like :). The comments you've received were excellent, whether you agree with them or not. And I'll echo those statements: A $1500 AVR and $650 on 5 speakers and a sub is completely out of whack. If you can return that receiver, then do so and get something to tie you over until there is some media available for ATMOS. There are plenty of nice AVRs for under $300. Get the best front stage (LRC) that you can afford. Then get a proper subwoofer for your room volume (that alone could cost well over $650). What good is any home theater that doesn't sound like a theater? And after all, you did ask for help ;).

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.