AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been using the below components for a year now and want to upgrade to improve AQ. I believe the sub is fine for my small room(18X12). My question is: should I upgrade my receiver or speakers? I'd preferrably upgrade only one component. But are my receiver and speakers too low end, which makes upgrading not worthwhile? I've been reading posts about speaker choices and found these speakers to be pretty popular: av123 x-ls, Infinity beta series, HTD lvl 2 and 3, etc. My use is about 70% music and 30% movies. and I want to spend $300-500 either on a pair of speakers or receiver. Any help is appreciated!

Panasonic xr55 digital receiver

Athena Point 5 speakers

Mirage S10 10" sub

·
Registered
737 Posts
Start with the panny, and audition more choices for your speakers. Dont take online reviews or "what you've heard" about speakers as the end-all, your ear is the final judge, and there are many choices to be had in your price range that could do "better" for you.

But, your biggest improvement to start with would be the speakers.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here's what I'd do ...

Get a pair of the AV123 X series floorstanders, not the X-LS bookshelves (although the bookshelves are good too). These will be your new main Left and Right speakers. If you can fit it in your budget now also get the matching center channel - if not, keep the Athena center until you can afford it.

Assuming the XR55 has pre-outs, you could then add an external 2 channel amp to power your mains. Something like an Adcom 555 or 545, which go cheap all the time on Ebay. Use the XR55 to power the center and surrounds. The good thing about external amps is you can ALWAYS find a use for it, as your system changes - the Panasonic however has a life expectancy, and one day will be replaced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately my Panny receiver doesn't have pre-out. My space is very limited so bookshelf speaker is the only option and I think my Mirage sub can handle the low pretty well. Does anyone have any recommendation for bookshelf speakers? Anyone have any insights of these 3 speakers: av123 x-ls, Infinity Beta 20, HTD lvl 2, 3?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hmm, well reading about the Panny it looks like it should be decent for 2 channel stereo listening. You can either bi-amp the fronts with it, or it can double the power in 2 channel mode.

Bookshelves on stands take up just as much space as floorstanders. But if you're set on bookshelf speakers, definately go for the X-LS ... which they're offering now in Piano Rosewood finish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.