AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked them up yesterday, from my subwoofer out of the processor, they only come on during very low effects like explosions on u-571(awesome) and jurassic park the first time i heard them even come on was at the first dinasaur encounter when he goes up to eat the leaves and then comes slamming to the ground(it nearly shook me off my seat)these things rock!!!!!!! and as far as i'm concerned are a vital part of the home theater experience. I don't have a subwoofer which i don't need because my front speakers go lower than most subs(paradigm eclipse bipolars)but this tactile sound is a totally different creature

cheers

Wayne

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have been using TT's in my system for several years.

I also believe tactile transducers are necessary to round out a total HT experience.

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,

I need a crossover!!

I watched the superbit of The fifth element and i believe there was indeed to much BZZZZZ coming from the pro shakers,I guess you get a little carried away when you first get them and maybe set the volume a little to high, i wonder if it would be beneficial to set thwm up using the LFE test tone on VE.

Wayne

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im surprised you didnt get attacked yet with the comment of "I don't have a subwoofer which i don't need because my front speakers go lower than most subs"

Now you are really screwing up the sound. With the lfe signal only feeding the aura shakers there is an entire channel missing from the audio. If you had your fronts set as large to begin with and subwoofer to no then you may have been okay before.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes

Ciper, I never even thought of that! now I'm missing the bass from my fronts because i did set it to large speaker and had the lfe set to off,now it's set to lfe but my fronts are no longer getting that bass-how do i configure it now? It will still pump out regular bass just not the lfe-I wanted to avoid buying a sub!!!!!!

Wayne

·
Registered
841 Posts
You would need to select no subwoofer (since you don't use one) and large Mains. This will direct the LFE channel to your Mains.

Then feed your TT's from your Main channel preouts.

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John

There are no pre-outs from my reciever-well looks like a new reciever or a subwoofer then :)

Wayne

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I bought a pair of inline low pass 50 Hz filters for my shakers, so I don't get the "Buzz", just LFE. I bought them at Parts Express but I can't find them on their website anymore.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the Amp that I'm using for the shakers i have a low pass filter switch! just discovered it last night so no more buzzzzzzz.

But those fmods are still at partsexpress.com

wayne

·
Registered
904 Posts
Your receiver should have 3 settings for bass output:

Sub

Main

Both

If you want the bass shakers to get lfe at the same time as the mains handle the lfe, use the "both" setting. The full lfe signal will go to each and you'll get the benefit of not (necessarily) needing an external xover for the bass shakers. -- Note that you may WANT an external xover because the receiver is probably set for 80Hz and many set the bass shakers to something like 50Hz.

jake

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just installed a ButtKicker 2 last night. Although I enjoy the response of this tactile device, I am certian that I need to find a way to configure a bandpass network for this big boy. If I could feed it everything between 15Hz and 45Hz I think I would be happier with the results. It is by no means a subwoofer replacement, but it is one heck of a compliment to one!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Your receiver should have 3 settings for bass output:

Sub

Main

Both
When selecting "Both" on some receivers it is only the main channels bass that is being produced by the Large Mains and the LFE/SUB preout simultaneously.

Not the LFE channel being produced by the Mains and LFE preout simiultaneously.

In this situation the Auras connected to the LFE preout would only be recieving LFE preout mixed with Main channel low frequency signals. The .1 LFE channel audio (not tactile) portion would still be out of the mix with no subwoofer connected.

John

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
If I could feed it everything between 15Hz and 45Hz I think I would be happier with the results.
I us a pair of the original Buttkickers in my system. I utilize a Paradigm X-30 unit on the signal. It allows you to adjust the tactile sensation to your preference.

There is no need to use a subsonic filter on the BK, only a lowpass.

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the SH-AC500D DD and DTS decoder by technics and there is no switching for the lfe as you describe only subwoofer yes/no. It's to bad because my paradigm eclipse will produce astonishingly low bass.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John H

You would need to select no subwoofer (since you don't use one) and large Mains. This will direct the LFE channel to your Mains.

Then feed your TT's from your Main channel preouts.

John
I assume you are using the term "Mains" to refer to the front left and the front right. So wouldn't you also feed the TT from the center and surrounds? After all, those channels also contain bass if you set them to large.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
So wouldn't you also feed the TT from the center and surrounds? After all, those channels also contain bass if you set them to large.
Yes, TT's work best if recieving low frequency signals from all channels, not just the LFE .1 channel in my opinion.

Feeding a TT amplifier signals from all channels preouts would require some type of summing unit.

John

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John H

Feeding a TT amplifier signals from all channels preouts would require some type of summing unit.
Could you provide any examples of a summing unit?

Do you think it would suffice to connect together multiple Y-adapters from the pre-outs of the fronts, surrounds, and center?

Or, alternatively, to connect a stereo-to-mono adapter from the receiver's headphone output?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was going to suggest trying the headphone out on your dvd player. This is always active and all you would need is a stereo to dual rca jack cable. Problem is that it would only work on your dvd player. Most receivers i have seen disable the speakers being driven when a headphone is plugged in.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I configured my receiver so that front=large, sub=no, rear=small, and center=small. The bass from all channels (including LFE) is now going to the front pre-outs which are connected to the TT amp.

I may try front=small, sub=yes, rear=small, and center=small. In this case, the sub pre-out would be connected to the TT amp.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
I may try front=small, sub=yes, rear=small, and center=small. In this case, the sub pre-out would be connected to the TT amp.
You would need to have a subwoofer connected to the LFE/SUB along with your TT's. If not you would be missing the audio portion of rolled off low frequencies from all channels including the entire .1 LFE channel audio.

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.